Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rob Dean

This week: 1/72 Late Bronze Age

Recommended Posts

I gave my older son a copy of the de Bellis Antiquitatis 3.0 rules for Christmas, and he has been inspired to dust off our joint 2009 project to do Egyptians vs Hittites in DBA. That did entail rebasing some chariots, and it looked like they might look lonely on the 60x80mm stands (vice 40x60 we had been using), so I painted 8 Egyptian infantry to serve as chariot runners and put two on each base when I rebased yesterday. 
 

B0A8EED2-24C6-4961-9BEC-2F96A6431EE1.thumb.jpeg.1716ee4d87e98eb1c35ed57513e7f3ab.jpeg

 

Since I had some unfinished Libyan archers from BITD, I dusted them off and did four as two light infantry stands, to start an opposing army of my own. 
 

31D26B83-88EC-432F-BBED-A3E2B99F408C.thumb.jpeg.029763a58ff1b6da3bec5341f052f2a6.jpeg

 

B1FF79BD-883A-41F3-B0AF-F3DE57240C8A.thumb.jpeg.c125221b4610e48293a0539b29549412.jpeg

 

I picked out the rest of the Libyan foot last night, but they’ll need a chariot converted from an Egyptian one (most likely).  
 

In between those tasks, I also put a quick paint job on a Bones hordeling, who looks like he’ll be happier facing 1/72 scale opponents than heroic 28+mm figures. 
 

DF8397E2-26A2-4274-958A-789612F3B001.thumb.jpeg.3b54a1b609746d729e448a678f9ee8d9.jpeg

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Rob Dean
      This hasn’t been a particularly good month for painting.  I had a week off back on the 9th, but, as shown here, my desk had gotten too cluttered to actually get much painting done.  I’m also off this week, and decided that I would try just putting one task on the desk at a time, to see if that would help.  My son has been diligently working on his Bronze Age DBA armies, so I decided that I would finally get started on the last stand of figures I needed to finish my 2nd DBA army.  (DBA : De Bellis Antiquitatis, a popular set of ancient wargames rules for small figure collections to be played on a small table.) Earlier this year, I had managed to get all of my 13th C BCE Libyan infantry done, to match against my New Kingdom Egyptians, but I still needed a “chariot general” base.  
       
      Son and I have been working this project intermittantly for about fifteen years, and we have a deep stash of Caesar Miniatures 1/72 scale plastic figures.  There is no “official” Libyan chariot, so I cobbled one together using an Egyptian chariot body, horses from a different (Mitanni) chariot set, and a Libyan commander pose.  He’s a little too wide to be able to fit a driver in as well, so, artistic rendering...
       

       

       

       
      We used to mount our chariots on a 40mm wide by 60mm deep base, but the DBA rules call for 60mm by 80mm.  The single chariot looks a little lonely, and there isn’t room for a pair of them, so he and I agreed that we would generally mount a couple of “chariot runners” with each vehicle.
       
      Most of my Libyans are done with cloaks painted to represent hairy hides from spotted cows, in keeping with the modern painting guide depictions.  However, searching around for actual contemporary Egyptian depictions of Libyans came up with this (I’ve cropped a single figure out of a group of four):

       
      I did my best to replicate the alternating rows of “eyes” and “arrows” on the general’s cloak, and echoed the pattern on the chariot body decorations because “why not?”.  At least any historical nit-pickers are likely to have seen the same picture...
       

       
      Here’s the completed “army”.  With the Egyptians, I can at least stage a remote game without using proxy figures, although we are starting to look forward to getting together for an actual games day sometime again (probably still six months off...).  Maybe my next army, the Nubians, will be ready by then as well.
       
    • By Rob Dean
      Last month I held my nose to the grindstone, as it were, and painted a bunch of wargaming units, a dozen figures at a time.  This month, I wanted to relax just a little, so I pulled a group of Caesar Adventurers (currently OOP) out of the queue, and amused myself by finishing off a couple of them.  
       
      I’ve picture them here with Sir Forscale to show how not-big they are, which is why they make look just a little rough when blown up to more-than-life-size on the screen.  It’s interesting to me, though, what you can do with a 1/72, if you aren’t in too much of a hurry.  These were done with my work kit at lunches, so 45-60 minutes each.
       

       

       

       
      My elder son, who has been doing some amazing work on 1/72 historical Bronze Age figures lately, asked whether some sort of single figure game was in the plans.  As of now, I am thinking about using the 1/72s to play through some Rangers of Shadowdeep.
    • By Rob Dean
      So, I finished off the elf lady to boss the two saprolings at lunch yesterday, and the red witch today.  I don’t do much greenstuff work; her broom is especially rustic...
       

       

       
      The saprolings look more impressive when upscaled; maybe 9 feet in comparison to the 1/72 figures...
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...