Sign in to follow this  
haldir

Turbodork paints

So I found a list of vendors for Las Vegas Open this year & I was curious if there was any recommended colors to get from this brand. I'll probably grab a colorshift (oh crap, I hope GSW doesn't find me out!! <_<) paint but any other recommended ones would be helpful.

Since this is my last time going down for LVO, I'm gonna spend a little bit more then I did last year (not hard as I bought only a 5 dollar decal).

• Like 4

I've played with a few of them, Electrum is my favorite.  3d Glasses is interesting.  They go on very thin, and some of the differences can be very subtle.  A lot of them end up just looking silver or gold over whatever your base color is. I wasn't thrilled with Ground is Lava, because it came out more pink, but I'm sure it has a use somewhere.  

• Like 2

I've seen tests on the colorshift* paints from Turbodork, and from those, it's pretty apparent that if they're put down over anything but a very dark color, they're quite unimpressive. I have a couple, but have yet to actually use them.

* Generic term, GSW's claims notwithstanding.

• Like 4

My wife got me some "bubblegum crisis" and "ground is lava" recently and I just started messing around with them last night. The headdress is 2 coats of ground is lava and the cape is 3 of bubblegum crisis. Interesting stuff. Requires several coats. I'll probably do another coat on the headdress. The pictures don't really do it justice though. It really stands out when you move it around. 

20200111_132742.jpg.791b527608af899c7fc02fd4087b444f.jpg20200111_132802.jpg.4e0dba64da2ba15ec7e2ae1cb5d48346.jpg

• Like 9

I have Ground is Lava and Emerald Nightmare (a metallic - a /dark metallic/ - green), and... I haven't had occasion to test them yet.

The bottles are fairly specific about putting them down over black... I'll get around to testing eventually. ^^;

• Like 3

One more thing, for those of you who haven't used it much: the nozzle tips screw on, and they tend to come off with the cap.  They are not like the Reaper nozzles which snap in place in the neck of the bottle.  I already lost half a bottle by accident, taking the top off and turning it upside down without paying attention. 

Anyway,  I made a quick sample chart with a handful of colors to show you what it really looks like. 

IMG_20200111_130710423.jpg.7f0b74de38d89fa27bd34e8e9a502cbf.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6