Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Savage Coyote

Big Stompy Podcast's 2020 CAV Painting Challenge

Recommended Posts

Announcing a little Challenge:

 

2020 2,500 TV Painting Challenge!

 

"Rules:"

1) Create a legal 2500 TV CAV force using whatever models you like. Just remember you need an attack/specialist section first, then something else.

2) Decide on a scheme. Your figures, your paints!

3) Get them painted. Seems self-explanatory?

4) Finish by February 13th for bragging rights

 

No prize for this one! Start off 2020 with a bang and a skirmish scale, fully painted CAV force! Post your list here or on the Big Stompy Podcast's (@BigStompyPodcast) facebook post and don't forget to track your progress!! Lots of photos at different stages!

 

40240059_1948812945178780_1049743393585889280_n.jpg

CrusaderPrototype.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooooh, this sounds tempting.  Guess I'll have to finally read that rulebook (and fire up the army creator) to get a basic idea of what a 2500 TV force looks like. 

 

...Other than the obvious dad jokes of that's a huge wall of TVs, and hopefully they aren't all CRTs.... 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First crack at this thought was to just go for broke, and go for a single 4 CAV Attack squad, but... This feels more my thing.  Aka, "what was I thinking?!?!?" levels of insanity...

 

Attack: 1x Obake, 2x Banshee, 1x Haunt

Mechanized Infantry: 2x Vindicator, 4x Heavy Infantry

Flight: 2x Ghast

 

Would look nice, but for some reason I have a feeling there's two problems...

- Seems a little too much shock and awe alongside smash and dash, without much thought towards balance, as well as...

- I'd have to buy the Vindicators and Ghasts (not really an issue, it's in the plans atm anyways), as well as another pack of Heavy Infantry.

 

Edit: it's tempting to tweak it around a bit to sneak more vehicles in, for a good and proper heavy and hard hitting fast moving force, but this is also CAV, not "mwa ha ha I brought eight tanks and five dozen infantry"... 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to run with two sections, one attack and one flight (attack.)

 

Crusader

2x Warhawk's

Spartan

 

2x Crossbows.

 

The points are low enough I can swap in a Duelist, Halbard, or Warlord for the Crusader (I haven't seen these guys do much on the field for me or opponents so we'll see.)  I'm spring boarding into a possible CAVCon 2020 tournament list that is still not completed.  Still have to trade for an unpainted Crossbow but I have time on that front.  I should be able to get everything base coated and washed today at work.

83236204_10108387330289757_3944477984458539008_n.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Edit: it's tempting to tweak it around a bit to sneak more vehicles in, for a good and proper heavy and hard hitting fast moving force, but this is also CAV, not "mwa ha ha I brought eight tanks and five dozen infantry"... 


So... don’t bring mechanized infantry to a CAV fight?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pegazus said:


So... don’t bring mechanized infantry to a CAV fight?

Well, that, and probably the fact that, I dunno.  They're useful, but how much damage would heavy infantry do to CAVs is the bigger question.  Could definitely tie things up though, but yeah.  The cost of that squad could be one more CAV, several vehicles, etc. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Well, that, and probably the fact that, I dunno.  They're useful, but how much damage would heavy infantry do to CAVs is the bigger question.  Could definitely tie things up though, but yeah.  The cost of that squad could be one more CAV, several vehicles, etc. 

 

If you can get several stands into a single combat you can overwhelm the CAV and damage it.  Bonus points if it's  CCV is horrible haha

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going with the models I already have:

 x4 Commander II's and x2 Chieftains.

That's all I can fit points wise and the FB said that I didn't have legal units when I tried to make 2 sections, so it's just one oversize section.

 

I just realized I don't have any paints here....dang it.

 

EDIT: More sections I could build.

x2 Mantis, x2 Chieftains and x1 Concussion.

x4 Mantis and x1 Chieftain.

Edited by Brother Jim
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Savage Coyote said:

 

If you can get several stands into a single combat you can overwhelm the CAV and damage it.  Bonus points if it's  CCV is horrible haha

So what you're saying is not only airdrop guys, but look into picking up some vehicles so I can maybe get some portable artillery too... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Corsair said:

That's why I run LOTS of Dingoes with my Terrans. Grunt hunt!

I'm still tweaking things.  I don't want to have to spend a bunch of money to pull it all off, for example, or paint six million infantry.  I'm mainly looking at trying something out, seeing how it goes, and then rolling from there. 

 

Its still tempting though to work out some sort of plan to maybe sneak a bit more infantry in.  Combined arms always seems intriguing, but I definitely should research such things before fully committing to the idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Brother Jim said:

Going with the models I already have:

 x4 Commander II's and x2 Chieftains.

That's all I can fit points wise and the FB said that I didn't have legal units when I tried to make 2 sections, so it's just one oversize section.

 

I just realized I don't have any paints here....dang it.

 

EDIT: More sections I could build.

x2 Mantis, x2 Chieftains and x1 Concussion.

x4 Mantis and x1 Chieftain.

 

If you make the understrength sections a "Specialist section" you'll have a legal list.

 

Attack:  4x Commander II's

Specialist:  2x Chieftains

 

At the end of the day we are just promoting paint jobs to our big stomps (or tanks or infantry or aircraft!) 

Edited by Savage Coyote
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...