Sign in to follow this  
Shadespyre

Shadespyre's Messy-Mostly-Reaper-Miniatures Thread

Welcome to the forum!   Your tribe of giants look great, especially with the unified basing and display.  Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 5

WELCOME ABOARD! That is a SPLENDID introduction, BEAUTIFULLY painted & based. VERY WELL DONE!

Posting finished work in the Show Off section is a great way to get some attention. It is okay to post the completed pieces there & the work in progress & finished pieces here and/or in the Work In Progress section. 

• Like 3

Thanks! 

Tbh I was a bit put off by the "Show Off" section because my work isn't that great, at least to me!

I never take enough WIP pictures because once I get going on a stage I forget to stop to do so! But here's a couple showing how I laid out the board, and how it looked before and during painting.

edited-image_zpshqh8nqdj.jpgedited-image_zpsbrw5gj66.jpgPainted%20Base%20Small_zpshrhe8p1g.jpg

In the last one, you can see the blue putty on the giants' feet - I was constantly re-testing how everyone fitted together on the board up to the moment where I started gluing them in place (which was just after this picture was taken).

One thing I learned from the project was to be constantly checking that the bases fitted back into place, often filing or sanding bits of filler or glue or paint or sand back off the edges.

• Like 14

Welcome to the forum!

You can easily put the finished project in SHOW OFF!

No need to be shy around here.

It looks great, I love the display and the conversions are very cool.

Still looking for nr. 11?

Also BONUS POINTS for painting WOLVES!!!

• Like 6

Thank you, I shall be more confident and put my other finished works in the Show Off section. I'm glad you like the wolves, I try to look at lots of images so that what I'm painting looks vaguely like the real thing.

I realised that you're never going to spot No 11 from those pictures, so here's a plan view where he's much more obvious...?  Then I'll pop in all the individual pictures so that you can see him properly. I think the close ups will show the limitations of my technique, so don't forget that they are on gaming bases so I only have to paint to gaming standard! :poke:

topdown_zpshme1ti9n.jpg

HG%20B_zpso9vdkq4j.jpgHG%20E_zpsov90wuk3.jpgHG%20F_zpsv8gy5nhu.jpgHG%20G_zpskmdi2ryk.jpgHG%20H_zpsjbiycimi.jpgHG%20L_zpstfribe8m.jpgHG%20D_zpslueduoeh.jpg

HG%20J%20Dire%20Wolf_zpsjiqf2jit.jpgHG%20K%20Wolves_zps3i8fuzr3.jpg

And here he is!

HG%20A%20Fox%20Den_zpsyq3gyhc8.jpg

Not part of the tribe! I needed something to fill an empty space and I liked how a fox fitted the colour palette of the overall scene. And oh, a scenery tip - the ferns here are made from real bracken fronds. I collected brown bracken off the hillside, brushed several layers of varnish on and then painted it green. Next time I would probably try spraying varnish and paint as the brushing broke quite a few leaves, but the results are quite good I think.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

I've not played KoW but I think that might work, it doesn't matter how the minis are based as long as the unit is a certain size, I believe?

• Like 2

One more picture - I wanted to show how I fitted the two small wolves into a large hex space:

edited-image_zpsibt1yemp.jpg

With hexes, you can fit 3 half sized bases into the space of one full sized base (leaving three little diamond shapes to fill in.) Top tip - if you might want to do this, buy large hex bases of such a size that you can also buy half sized ones! So pick 60mm (and 30mm) or 70mm (and 35mm) NOT 65mm (and then have to make your own 32.5mm hex bases).

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Great job on the skeletons.  I really like your zombie dragon. 

FYI, here's the FAQ for Show Off threads. Reaper strongly encourages separate threads for additional figures and use of identifying model numbers in the tags.  It makes it so much easier when searching the forums.  https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/7784-show-off-forum-guidelines-and-suggestions/

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Inarah said:

FYI, here's the FAQ for Show Off threads. Reaper strongly encourages separate threads for additional figures and use of identifying model numbers in the tags.  It makes it so much easier when searching the forums.  https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/7784-show-off-forum-guidelines-and-suggestions/

Oh, okay. Seems a bit messy to me. Surely we're going to end up with a LOT of individual posts rather than actual threads that way?! :huh:

• Like 3