Sign in to follow this  
Shadespyre

Shadespyre's Messy-Mostly-Reaper-Miniatures Thread

Okay, can anyone tell me how to rename it / re-tag it, then? Would seem to be a good idea as it's not just Hill Giants any more...

3 hours ago, Shadespyre said:

Okay, can anyone tell me how to rename it / re-tag it, then? Would seem to be a good idea as it's not just Hill Giants any more...

You just edit the first post & make whatever changes you want.

• Like 1

Of course, the one thing that works just like every other miniatures forum and I miss it! Thanks ::):

Digging through my photobucket, here are some assorted Reaper Undead for you to gawp at... these are all based in the same theme as those undead dragons.

DSC08300_zpswwudvapu.jpg

Undead from KS3 (I think)

Ghosts2_zpsee38a447.jpgedited-image_zps42mojhl5.jpgedited-image_zpscqhnmqae.jpg

Selection of Ethereal critters. I use the very lazy Nihilakh Oxide wash method for these, quick and very striking on the tabletop. Because the army theme is that all of the vampires are female, I wanted to use as many female models as possible, and Reaper are a great source for those.

Some of these photos aren't great and I've got better at both lighting and editing since, but who has time to re-photograph things?

• Like 17

They look good.

I like Undead a lot and you got a nice theme here with those bases.

• Like 2

Cheers! I'm a firm believer that you can go a long way in miniature painting (especially for armies) with a few core skills and a strong theme!

Let's see how forgiving you lot are! How about some assorted female Reaper models, co-opted for my army?

DSC07280_zpsofjplpb8.jpgDSC07445_zpscwczjlsd.jpgDSC07291_zpsppxinken.jpgDSC07228_zpshicpks96.jpgDSC02275_zps43820f84.jpgDSC04183_zpsmytdujm2.jpgDSC05132_zpsapgyjj0i.jpgWIghtQueen5_zps84a3496e.jpg

There's a couple of weapon swaps in there, notably the Cleric of Urgathoa's scythe ( those rose-vine plastic scythes are all over my army) and the Wight Queen at the end. No idea where that sword came from, which is a shame because it's a beauty.

There's a lot of variation in my success at painting skin tones and faces in this selection, I'd like to say I got better as I went along but tbh the sculpt of the model is the biggest influence on my success, I think. Also my photos seem to wash out the contrast a bit, I promise they look slightly better in person... ;)

• Like 16

They look great!

I love those Undead Servants besides that Ghoul Queen/Necromancer !

The first Death Cleric with the scythe is my favorite.

• Like 2

More from the same project - Reaper Bat Swarms (with a couple of modifications, because I can't use exactly the same model twice)

Batswarms6_zpsbc36a1e7.jpg

and something a bit different - I added this Sleeping Beauty model...

DSC00878_zps91e16cd5.jpg

To my GW Black Coach!

DSC00885_zps44927ffd.jpgDSC00887_zps25c708d3.jpgDSC00882_zps48a868e6.jpg

Edited by Shadespyre
  • Like 17

Awesome idea to use the sleeping beauty vampire there!

I once included Reaper's Murder of Crows to a unit of those bats, just a little hint.

I love these!

Hmm Is that Countess Bathory in that Coach?

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 3

Thank you! I'll admit to being quite proud of that one. I had the idea very late in the assembly process and had to pry the roof off and modify the coach so that it was strong enough to have the lid removed.

In Warhammer lore, a Black Coach contains the coffin of an ancient vampire which can be slowly restored by drawing in the life energy of those slain by the Coach. In my project, all the vampires are female and draw their powers from magical roses, so this mini is perfect as a replacement for a dusty old coffin.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

Is there a particular reason you decided all the vampires should be female?

I mean, I have no real complaints, just wondering what the thought process was.

A whole bunch of reasons -  aesthetic, the availability of models, challenging my painting skills - but the key moment was when someone else had the idea of using GW dryad models to represent Crypt Ghouls. I liked this idea, but why are all the ghouls female tree-monsters? This is what I jotted down at the time...

"..the Handmaidens of the Carmine Rose are vengeful female spirits forming bodies from rose bushes. Evil, cursed, bloodrose bushes, of course!

My formative fluff has it that the Eternal Court was founded by a sorceress / necromancer seeking the secrets of eternal life AND youth. She made a discovery involving these roses and copious amounts of blood, and became my vampiric Rose Queen. (Is she still around? Will I do a model? Dunno yet!).

Over time, she sought out and was sought out by potential acolytes. Only the most brilliant and beautiful women could join the Eternal Court, failures are sacrificed to the bloodrose bushes to feed the un-lives of the vampires and provide lots of angry soldiers as an added bonus.

I hope that explains things a bit? All my vampires will be the get of the Rose Queen, my necromancers are women hoping to gain that honour. The rest of the army are their victims, slaves and creations, with the Handmaidens / ghouls most closely tied to their source of power."

dryadsunitof202_zps9bca8dcf-jpg.7726

Sorry about the non-Reaper models! I don't want to reproduce the whole project here so check out the link just below if you're desperate to find out more.

I never did actually sit down and write up all the lore of the army, but that's the gist of it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Shadespyre said:

A whole bunch of reasons -  aesthetic, the availability of models, challenging my painting skills - but the key moment was when someone else had the idea of using GW dryad models to represent Crypt Ghouls. I liked this idea, but why are all the ghouls female tree-monsters? This is what I jotted down at the time...

"..the Handmaidens of the Carmine Rose are vengeful female spirits forming bodies from rose bushes. Evil, cursed, bloodrose bushes, of course!

My formative fluff has it that the Eternal Court was founded by a sorceress / necromancer seeking the secrets of eternal life AND youth. She made a discovery involving these roses and copious amounts of blood, and became my vampiric Rose Queen. (Is she still around? Will I do a model? Dunno yet!).

Over time, she sought out and was sought out by potential acolytes. Only the most brilliant and beautiful women could join the Eternal Court, failures are sacrificed to the bloodrose bushes to feed the un-lives of the vampires and provide lots of angry soldiers as an added bonus.

I hope that explains things a bit? All my vampires will be the get of the Rose Queen, my necromancers are women hoping to gain that honour. The rest of the army are their victims, slaves and creations, with the Handmaidens / ghouls most closely tied to their source of power."

dryadsunitof202_zps9bca8dcf-jpg.7726

Sorry about the non-Reaper models! I don't want to reproduce the whole project here so check out the link just below if you're desperate to find out more.

I never did actually sit down and write up all the lore of the army, but that's the gist of it.

Sounds good to me. Back in my 40K days in the 90s, I used some Bretonnians to create a female Farseer and Warlock for my Eldar army, and I modified the crew of one of my Falcon Grav Tanks to be women, too, using the torsos of the single female guardian miniature and the heads from some Necromunda Esher gangers.

• Like 2

Similarly I've used a lot of female dark elf torsos to make armoured vampires.

And now for something a bit different. Halflings for Frostgrave! Why halflings? To be honest, I stumbled across Stonehaven Miniatures halflings on ebay and fell in love, but needed a project to justify the eye-watering cost of buying some. So, a halfling warband for the then-new Frostgrave game came about. And then when you need affordable reinforcements, where would you turn but Reaper Bones?

This is the very latest mini that I've finished, in fact, Hellakin Goregutter (77165)

edited-image_zps06d9r1ue.jpg

A fairly basic paint job (much like most of my gaming minis). That blue-grey is one of my "go to" colours, I just love how it goes with everything.

Going back to this time last year (Frostgrave minis seem to be a winter thing for me, naturally enough) a series of games made me feel I needed more ranged firepower, so I recruited this trio:

DSC09025_zps3rbn0mif.jpg

You can't buy these from Reaper, because I converted them all from Woody Stumpwimple (77218)(at the bottom)

DSC09007_zpsctspt9hh.jpg77218_w_1.jpg

I frequently replace the wobbly weapons of Bones minis, but the main change (other than the crossbow) is in the head positions. I find it can change the whole demeanor and story of a mini, and it's so easy to do with Bones.

For interest's sake, a quick shot of the rest of the team (mostly Stonehaven Minis)

DSC07596_zpsbenmgaa4.jpg

Edited by Shadespyre
  • Like 9