Sign in to follow this  
Pochi

8th Annual Reaper Forums Large Model Challenge, Rules and Discussion (2020)

6 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

1821667434_disneyprincesses.thumb.jpg.186d0952b46f2f3260848998198a62c8.jpg

Here are the 5 available statues (busts?) of the Disney Princesses. Not sure if I painted one up, where they would fit into the contests (if they fit at all).

I looked them up after I read the post. They are cool. I could never find their size. I'd say if they are 40+, they could go in the non-Reaper category.

4 hours ago, Cicciopiu said:

A small Vignette with two, interacting,  32mm figures on a 40mm base can't be entered in the Diorama category, am I right?

Not for the forum contest as it would need a large figure included but, you may be able to enter it for Reapercon since it will be online this year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

So if I stick them on a 40mm decorated base, I am good:)

Finally found a page that says they are 7-8 cm so you're good with the Disney princesses for non-Reaper. Can't wait to see!

• Like 1

5 months left to paint and get entries posted! If you were thinking about a diorama, we need to get some entries in there. We didn't get enough last year to have full prize support so we need to make sure this year to have at least 8 entries if possible. Don't forget to include at least 1 large Reaper mini in your diorama.

If you aren't making dioramas, that is also just fine! Keep painting and get your entries posted! Lots of time left to paint! Keep up the good work! There are so many nice looking minis entered already! So much talent!

• Like 5

On 8/2/2020 at 4:48 AM, Pochi said:

5 months left to paint and get entries posted! If you were thinking about a diorama, we need to get some entries in there. We didn't get enough last year to have full prize support so we need to make sure this year to have at least 8 entries if possible. Don't forget to include at least 1 large Reaper mini in your diorama.

If you aren't making dioramas, that is also just fine! Keep painting and get your entries posted! Lots of time left to paint! Keep up the good work! There are so many nice looking minis entered already! So much talent!

So you are saying I should get started on the diorama I "definitely wasn't going to wait most of the year before starting" ?  :poke:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 8/6/2020 at 8:57 AM, Jasper_the_2nd said:

So you are saying I should get started on the diorama I "definitely wasn't going to wait most of the year before starting" ?  :poke:

I'm sure you have been working on it for months!

• Haha 5

For the Reaper diorama can we use converted/modified Bones figures?  I will have one complete 100+ Reaper figures then some other modified Bones. 

Also I have seen some competition and display pieces with a painted backgrounds, is this allowed in any of the contests?

I have one dio piece for the non-Reaper category 98% done so I should have any entry in there. I am thinking of trying to get one painted up for the Reaper contest but may not finish in time. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NecroMancer said:

For the Reaper diorama can we use converted/modified Bones figures?  I will have one complete 100+ Reaper figures then some other modified Bones. 

Also I have seen some competition and display pieces with a painted backgrounds, is this allowed in any of the contests?

I have one dio piece for the non-Reaper category 98% done so I should have any entry in there. I am thinking of trying to get one painted up for the Reaper contest but may not finish in time. 

For the diorama, as long as it has at least one large Reaper figure in it, then it is fine. You can convert and modify the figures.

There are no rules about not having backgrounds in your pictures or even like the display bases with the painted background attached. So if you want to do that, go for it!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Does anyone know how tall the Ghoul Queen and Servants model is?  She's from Dark Haven Legends. 

Would the broken circular window behind her count towards the height of the figure?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

Does anyone know how tall the Ghoul Queen and Servants model is?  She's from Dark Haven Legends. 

Would the broken circular window behind her count towards the height of the figure?

I wouldn't think she would be considered a "large model".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Would the Mystic Portal 44133 be eligible for any of the categories? It's 115mms high, but I'm not sure that it qualifies as a single miniature in the large category. It's not really a figure or a diorama either, so I'm not sure if it fits in anywhere.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Would the Mystic Portal 44133 be eligible for any of the categories? It's 115mms high, but I'm not sure that it qualifies as a single miniature in the large category. It's not really a figure or a diorama either, so I'm not sure if it fits in anywhere.

Hmmm, I know that the archways (that came with the graveyard) were questioned in previous years and they were decided as a no but the Mystic Portal has a bit more happening. It would not be a diorama on its own but people have used the druid circle as the large model for dioramas before so the portal would probably be fine as long as you created a scene with it.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Pochi said:

Hmmm, I know that the archways (that came with the graveyard) were questioned in previous years and they were decided as a no but the Mystic Portal has a bit more happening. It would not be a diorama on its own but people have used the druid circle as the large model for dioramas before so the portal would probably be fine as long as you created a scene with it.

I've done a light/magic effect emanating from the portal itself, but I don't think it would really count as a scene per se. No worries, thanks for getting back to me so quickly, I'll just concentrate on finishing some dragons instead!

• Like 2

Oh boy! Can you believe it? We are down to 2 months left of 2020 which means we have 2 months left to paint our large mini entries and get them submitted into the correct categories! We have so many great entries already but I know people are still painting so keep at it! You still have plenty of time!

Remember that prize support for the non-Reaper category comes from donations so if anyone wants to donate a prize, please message me and we can work that out.

The diorama category currently only has one entry. Last year it did not have enough entries to qualify for full prize support. If you have painted a diorama with at least one large Reaper mini this year, enter it! Or, you still have 2 months, get to painting! ::D:

I am so enjoying seeing everyone's entries so far. Keep up the good work!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2