Sign in to follow this  
haldir

Should I care about Critical Role?

Even watching it on Youtube my mind wanders and I tab out because the visuals of the gang just sitting at the table isn't always captivating.

Watching it live helped because my players discussing it in Discord helped me keep focus.

• Like 1

I started playing the Youtube versions as background noise over Christmas because TV was just politics and re-runs, so I put it on while I was painting, cleaning and general house maintenance and now my wife is a huge Matt fan and likes having it on when she is cleaning because she can listen but doesn't have to watch it to understand it

Edited by SamuraiJack
  • Like 4

On 1/15/2020 at 10:18 AM, amuller33 said:

elders wonder why you would watch someone else play .. instead of just playing yourself.

That perfectly describes professional sports though.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I enjoy Critical Role a lot! I put it on while I paint. The story is better than a lot of shows on tv and I don't have to be focused on the visual like a regular show. (Although their expressions and antics can be pretty funny to watch!) My husband started listening on his commute and when he has to go out and make deliveries.

I didn't understand how or why anyone would want to watch someone else play D&D until I sat down and put on the first episode of the second campaign and I was hooked. I was laughing within the first couple minutes and have watched both campaigns and look forward to new episodes every week. I think they are also incredibly kind people and talented.

The first CR book has lots of cool information and items and such in it and I have preordered the second book. I don't like the Eberron setting but I like the artificer class. Just because someone isn't into CR doesn't mean they couldn't find some value in the books. And if not, that's ok too.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Yet the younger ones are silly for using this line right back at them, despite it being equally true... :rolleyes:

I say why not both. Enjoy playing, enjoy watching.  Watching a good series or group can pull you right in if it's your style too, which is a rather nice thing. 

• Like 2

As a DM, watching other people's games from an outside perspective helps me learn new things too.

(it's why I'm glad Chris Perkins is coming back with a new show where half his players aren't turning out to be utterly trash people)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Yet the younger ones are silly for using this line right back at them, despite it being equally true... :rolleyes:

I say why not both. Enjoy playing, enjoy watching.  Watching a good series or group can pull you right in if it's your style too, which is a rather nice thing. 

I think watching a professional play a game is on a whole different level than playing as a normal person. Watching those guys play street fighter is crazy, their reaction times and everything are crazy. I button mash, Hubby has more skill, but not on their level. 

The folks on critical role are amazing players. I know I could never do a show like that, much less play a game of D&D like that. 

You can learn a lot from the pros.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, redambrosia said:

And I don’t watch any of those either...although I do listen to an AP podcast or two, for pointers and inspiration.

20 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Thou in our case, at least we aren't getting our brains scrambled.....:wacko: (depending on your preferred sport of course).

I've been following the encounter of the week article on dndbeyond & I like what I've read so far. Again, I'll take a look at the book at FLGS & if I find enough that I like I'll order it off dndbeyond. Preordering it now just gets me fancy backgrounds & portrait frames for the online character sheet (thou I'll admit, I've liked the ones I've gotten for Avernus & Saltmarsh....:rock:).

• Like 2