Sign in to follow this  
JG/RR

Possible SCULPTING classes at Reapercon 2020

Hello everyone, this is Bob Ridolfi and Julie Guthrie.

These are some of the possible  Sculpting classes we plan to teach at Reapercon 2020. These are just thumbnail descriptions. All these classes are hands on.

Sculpting Details: adding details to a figure, including but not limited to: pouches, belts,buckles, straps, etc..

Sculpting for Conversion/ repair: pinning,repairing, gap filling, texture matching, etc..

The following are classes we are thinking of teaching if interest is high enough:

Sculpting hair: various hairstyles, beards, etc..

Sculpting  fur, feathers and scales: practice on a sample figure.

Sculpting a Dragon Relief: could be used as a wall or shield decoration or a stand alone pendant.

Advanced Sculpting Armor: adding armor bits to sample figure. (This is for intermediate to advanced students because of the amount of information covered).

Any other sculpting only class ideas that you would like to see taught are welcome. Keep in mind that these are 2 hour classes.

• Like 9

I really liked the armor class you did last year and would take it again if I could get a seat.  There was just so much to learn.   The details class seems like it would cover just about anything else anyone would want to know. 

My biggest request for all teachers this year is to do the class twice during the con.  A single class with 6-8 seats is likely to sell out or conflict with other events.   Having a repeat class gives more folks the opportunity to get it on their schedule.  Teachers might have less prep this way,  as you'd only need to make more copies of the handout.  

• Like 4

Would the dragon relief class be beginner friendly, or would it be aimed at more advanced sculptors? I haven't done much sculpting since high school, but the concept sounds really fun.

• Thanks 1

Fur, feathers and scales would be great.

Truthfully, I feel like a really hands-on workshop on any one of the three could be a great use of two hours.

Based on past classes I've taken with the two of you, a class on creating textures with found objects could also be interesting. (I continue to hold out hope for a class "field trip" to the thrift store with the two of you, but I know it wouldn't fit into a 2-hour slot.)

• Like 1

I took B&J's sculpting details class and it was wonderful.  Just so everyone knows!  Glad you guys are teaching that one again. I love the idea of the dragon relief.  If it doesn't conflict, I'd take it.

• Like 3

all of those sound amazing!!  the sculpting details and conversions classes would really help me.  The others would be fun as well.

• Like 1

The one where you show how to sculpt armor on to existing figures was amazing. Any chance of a repeat?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Inarah said:

I really liked the armor class you did last year and would take it again if I could get a seat.  There was just so much to learn.   The details class seems like it would cover just about anything else anyone would want to know. 

I camped this class at midnight and still missed it so I'd love to see it again.....  

17 hours ago, JG/RR said:

Sculpting a Dragon Relief: could be used as a wall or shield decoration or a stand alone pendant.

This would be another one I'd be camping out to take....

• Like 1

What Corporea said... Barring conflicts, I'm in for the dragon relief class (sounds like a flat...).

Glen

• Like 1

Thank you all for the replies, keep them coming! It really helps us and other teachers know what sculpting areas of interest are out there.

Since there seems to be a lot of interest in the Sculpting ARMOR class, we will add it to the "probable" list. Because there is so much to cover in this type of advanced class, it is really important that only experienced sculptors take this class. Last year we specifically stated in our submitted topics that it was for advanced to intermediate students, and we still had beginners signing up. We originally left this class off of the list because most of the feedback we got at the Con was requests for beginner classes only.

The Sculpting a Dragon relief class should accommodate all skill levels. The concept for this is high relief, but it could be used for flats as well.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, JG/RR said:

Sculpting for Conversion/ repair: pinning,repairing, gap filling, texture matching, etc..

I'm going to try and get in on this one, so I can learn something more useful than "smush greenstuff in there and hope no one notices".  

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I'm going to try and get in on this one, so I can learn something more useful than "smush greenstuff in there and hope no one notices".  

My preferred strategy as well. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Adrift said:
1 hour ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

.. yah, maybe I should also be putting that one on my list. >.>

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/16/2020 at 1:36 PM, Adrift said:

For me it's Apoxie Sculpt, but sames :D.