The Nylon Don is at it again - Ghost Brush : Part Duex the Dry-brush

ThatGuy

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why wage such a personal campaign against someone? If they’re selling something, and the market demands it/is willing to pay for it, how is it harming you?

I didn’t back their last campaign, and won’t back this one, but I’m not going to be on some crusade against a person remarketing and selling something. Worst case scenario, they’re enticing people to the hobby or giving them a reason to actually paint in lieu of just buying figs and watching them collect dust. 

Edited by Adrift
  • Like 1

In the last campaign he sold overpriced nylons and calling them the best thing since sliced bread for mini painters. 

He's going after newbies that has never used a GOOD brush.   

In other words, he's going after a market that has no icea what they really want or need. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay, so 400+ miniature painters think they need to KS a specialized dry brush.

But I would think this is a small minority of painters. I thought the convention was to wear our your painting brushes until they weren't usable, then use them for drybrushing.

Also, various manufacturers already offer drybrushes.

Edited by ced1106

13 minutes ago, ced1106 said:

Okay, so 400+ miniature painters think they need to KS a specialized dry brush.

But I would think this is a small minority of painters. I thought the convention was to wear our your painting brushes until they weren't usable, then use them for drybrushing. Also, various manufacturers already offer drybrushes.

I actually have dedicated brushes for dry brushing. They're hog-bristle rounds, up to about 5/8" (16mm) diameter. I think the package of 12 brushes in different sizes ran about $6 at Dick Blick.

I don't find the KS project offensive, just of no interest whatsoever to me and kind of pointless in general. YMMV.

• Like 5

I also am not a fan of a personal crusade against a KS creator.  I am a strong backer of capitalism in action ... if you offer something that folks will buy, and continue buying, then good for you.  If you can't deliver and disappear, then good for us.

HST, I am strongly in favor of objective reports of issues with a specific campaign or about repeat KS offenders.  It would have served me well had I know that several of the campaigns I have backed were created by repeat problem makers.  There is a difference between an over-enthusiastic, pie in the sky, even unrealistic creator and a creator who runs multiple KS campaigns with the seeming goal of making as much money as possible while delivering, not not delivering at all, inferior and/or overpriced product.  I also have no problem with folks opining about the virtues, or lack of virtues, for a specific product.

In this case, I appreciate those who have pointed out that they have satisfactory alternatives to deluxe dry brushes which are cheaper, currently available, and of an adequate quality.  Thank you all.

Finally, caveat emptor!  That's a lesson that KS has a doctorate in delivering.  I've learned it several times and, now, am much more likely to rely upon the voices of folks on the Reaper forum than the pretty presentations on KS.

• Like 7

On 1/17/2020 at 8:35 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

I have yet to be amazed (in a positive way) by any brush Kickstarter.

Horrified, yes, impressed, no. (For example - I will never buy anything from Games & Gears. Some friends of ours backed their double ended brush KS - they were shedding bristles even while shipping.)

The Auld Grump

What was the supposed advantage of a double-ended brush?  I think I'd find that annoying.

The only brush Kickstarter I backed was for the WAMP brushes, which were basically rebadged Rosemary & Co. Kolinsky, and the one brush I've used has been as nice as you'd expect from that company.  The others look good, but I haven't used them yet to make sure they're good.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Serenity said:

What was the supposed advantage of a double-ended brush?

Double-brush blending used to be a thing. Search on "two brush blending miniatures".

For myself, if there's a retail alternative, I don't back the KS, particularly if I can buy it at a similar price.

I also probably won't back it if is if any product development (eg. functionality), is involved, particularly if it involves water. Usually, a creator only has a prototype or sample, not a mass-produced version.

• Like 1

Two brush blending is still a thing, and the double-ended brushes weren't a bad idea (I now hold a fist of brushes when I paint, so...). But the Games & Gears brushes were laughably terrible. I still have a ton of them I keep for glue and blending charcoal (and they're bad at those, too).

I'm with the Grump. Brushes are not very expensive and amazing brushes already exist. People are easily separated from their money by the lure of cheap & easy.

• Like 1