Sign in to follow this  
ThatGuy

The Nylon Don is at it again - Ghost Brush : Part Duex the Dry-brush

8 hours ago, CashWiley said:

Two brush blending is still a thing, and the double-ended brushes weren't a bad idea (I now hold a fist of brushes when I paint, so...). But the Games & Gears brushes were laughably terrible. I still have a ton of them I keep for glue and blending charcoal (and they're bad at those, too).

I'm with the Grump. Brushes are not very expensive and amazing brushes already exist. People are easily separated from their money by the lure of cheap & easy.

I backed the Games and Gears Kickstarter knowing that the brushes weren’t likely to live up to their hype. They ended up being as average as I thought they might be, but we’re cheap enough that I was ok with that. I just use them for dry brushing, getting paint out of pots or other “hard” uses.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 10:24 AM, CashWiley said:

Two brush blending is still a thing, and the double-ended brushes weren't a bad idea (I now hold a fist of brushes when I paint, so...). But the Games & Gears brushes were laughably terrible. I still have a ton of them I keep for glue and blending charcoal (and they're bad at those, too).

I'm with the Grump. Brushes are not very expensive and amazing brushes already exist. People are easily separated from their money by the lure of cheap & easy.

They WERE really good at replacing the craptastic brushes.

With brushes that were just as craptastic.

Twice.

And Dunc is not an enthusiastic painter in the first place.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 9:35 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

I have yet to be amazed (in a positive way) by any brush Kickstarter.

Horrified, yes, impressed, no. (For example - I will never buy anything from Games & Gears. Some friends of ours backed their double ended brush KS - they were shedding bristles even while shipping.)

The Auld Grump

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 3:54 PM, Serenity said:

What was the supposed advantage of a double-ended brush?  I think I'd find that annoying.

The only brush Kickstarter I backed was for the WAMP brushes, which were basically rebadged Rosemary & Co. Kolinsky, and the one brush I've used has been as nice as you'd expect from that company.  The others look good, but I haven't used them yet to make sure they're good.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 7:16 PM, Olaf the Stout said:

I backed the Games and Gears Kickstarter knowing that the brushes weren’t likely to live up to their hype. They ended up being as average as I thought they might be, but we’re cheap enough that I was ok with that. I just use them for dry brushing, getting paint out of pots or other “hard” uses.

For all the comments above:  The brushes I got from them, while not exceptional, weren't bad.  I had 2 that wouldn't hold a point and I just found the double ended brush to be more annoying than useful so I don't use them very much, But the cost was reasonable and the material was okay.  I think I still have one or two of these kicking around.  I did back their portable brushes kickstarter and I still carry one of those sets on me for trips and when I think I might have the opportunity to paint at a friends house.  The tips held well and the ability to just throw the brush in my pocket when im done with it makes up for a lot of sins.  I used to find the brushes too big but the tip holds well enough that I now like the additional belly on the brush and it lasts longer before drying out.

Point is:  they are brushes, the kickstarter delivered what was promised in a reasonable timeframe and the product, although not perfect, was not horrible, at least mine weren't.  I don't understand the hate that brush sellers get.  I see other product sellers on kickstarter that have truly horrible records (CMON for example releasing their game to retail before the backers get theirs) who get less flack than what amounts to a brush reseller.  I am not going to back the drybrush KS because I have about 20 brushes that I use for drybrushing and don't need a stippling brush to do it, but if someone likes the look of these for painting and doesn't want to go to a craft store, that's their decision.  I am not going to hate the person or company that offers the service.

• Like 2

Games & Gears. This is a replacement brush, the first batch was even worse. I've been using them for glue (because they're bad drybrushes, even!) and they shed hair into the glue.

GnG4_1.thumb.JPG.a28d4231de69739f569848ca44ff41c8.JPG

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

I don't understand the hate that brush sellers get.

The main difference between a brush seller and a boardgame seller is that you have retail alternatives for brushes and not for a boardgame that you wish to back on KS. 

Specifically, if you back a boardgame (or miniature) KS, you're first not going to back a boardgame that you don't already have. Of course, by their very nature, it's doubtful you will find a boardgame by a different publisher that is the same boardgame as another game that exists retail. (Perhaps you may find a KS dungeoncrawler that is similar to a retail one.) Most boardgames KS have rulebooks, or playthrough videos, which allow you to evaluate to some extent the mechanics.

In contrast, when you back a brush KS, you know you have existing alternatives that already exist on the market. You're betting against a promise that involves a waiting period, versus known products already available on the market. You also don't need more than one of the product (or, rather, you don't need many copies of the product), so you're also looking at opportunity cost. Sure, you can find alternative uses for the product once you receive it and find out it does not fulfill its promise, but spending $10 on a product that has the functionality of a $5 product is not a good use of your money. Rationalization is pretty common in KS.

Perhaps the middle-ground are boutique miniatures. Some small miniatures company shows of renders and prototype miniatures that look better than ones you see retail, and you back the project. You wait months or even more than a year, with the usual KS delays. Then you receive miniatures that are nowhere near as good as the ones shown at the KS, such as a resin figure with pits, mold lines, and vents. Sure, you could paint the miniatures to tabletop and use them with your plastic Bones miniatures for roleplaying games, but that's not what you spent $15 per miniature for.

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 4

I think many of the problems with small fry brush re-sellers on KS and elsewhere is that they often are likely to be either disingenous about the quality or they do not have the experience (or maybe even care, if they see it as easy money and not a passion project) enough to make sure that the quality is on par. So the customer gets the short end of the stick.

I do not mind resellers, even those who take a hefty mark up when flipping their wares (unless we are talking black market for scarce items, that I despise). But I do mind when the quality is nowhere near what is promised. That makes it akin to a scam.

Edited by Maledrakh
  • Like 2

And sometimes you can get better brushes for the same or lower price, just going to an art supply store.

Those G&G brushes were terrible.

For the same money Army Painter are better,  and Winsor & Newton series 7 or Rosemary & Co. are excellent, for a bit more.

And you can get good brushes through Amazon at good prices, if there is no nearby art supply store.

People come down hard on brush Kickstarters because there are better alternatives with no long wait.

On the other hand, some of the painting accessory Kickstarters are very decent, I am jealous of the mini holder set that Chris and Amber picked out.

But we have plenty of pill bottles and blue tack, so we put it off.

We should put in an order at Rosemary & Co. pretty soon, about once a year.

• Like 3