Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

HeroForge Custom mini KS

2 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

Hmm... It looks like, at least for "human" sized miniatures, buying the STL from Heroforge and sending it to Impact would mostly wind up costing the same amount. I guess if I backed this KS for a bunch of half-priced STLs, it'd wind up a bit cheaper, but otherwise, it's mostly a wash.

The premium plastic is $29.99 which is about $35 with shipping to Maryland. 

the digital download was $7.99. Impact was $12 with shipping so about $20 total including the download from hero forge. It was actual a bit cheaper as I had gotten the digital download on sale... but $20 comparatively now... this is for a human size non mounted model. 

so $20 vs $35. I will say Impact prints on translucent which I am not thrilled with as it means I have to at least prime before I can use in a game, but it did work out cheaper. 

also it gets cheaper still if you buy more than one as the shipping is flat rate for impact. That $12 include $5 shipping. 

Edit: If you are not getting the premium plastic, then yeah, it will cost about the same... but Impact's prints are high quality, so would be more comparable to the premium plastic for that same price. 

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Galladoria Games said:

Now back to conversation about hero forge :)

Kevin

I love the idea of custom minis but I wish HeroForge would increase it's selection of medieval, ancient and fantasy clothing 300% or 400%?   I design characters and there are not enough options for medieval, ancient and fantasy clothing to make three or four different characters of the same class look really different.

Edited by kodiakbear
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Galladoria Games said:

Was checking out this thread and always have to respond when i see these comments :)  just for the resin industry's sake (yes we are a resin manufacturer!) not all resins are brittle and shard! the cheaper high speed cure resin absolutely do! But if you ever want to buy resin from a company as long as it is semi rigid (we use Smoothcast 66d) it will not do this.  It will act a lot more like the bones black material.

Resin casts can be amazing and can have the absolute highest level of detail if done right! 

Now back to conversation about hero forge :)

Kevin

i think you've shown me to be a little ignorant in the way of resins.  that's fair.  not knowing something is the first step to learning something new.

the companies i've used resins from hasslefree, kingdom death, and the company that shall not be named that messed up the starfinder mini KS.

how would i distinguish minis cast with more ductile resin from the brittle ones?

[fully expecting the mods to split this off]

Edited by mikem91
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Smokestack said:

The premium plastic is $29.99 which is about $35 with shipping to Maryland. 

the digital download was $7.99. Impact was $12 with shipping so about $20 total including the download from hero forge. It was actual a bit cheaper as I had gotten the digital download on sale... but $20 comparatively now... this is for a human size non mounted model. 

so $20 vs $35. I will say Impact prints on translucent which I am not thrilled with as it means I have to at least prime before I can use in a game, but it did work out cheaper. 

also it gets cheaper still if you buy more than one as the shipping is flat rate for impact. That $12 include $5 shipping. 

Edit: If you are not getting the premium plastic, then yeah, it will cost about the same... but Impact's prints are high quality, so would be more comparable to the premium plastic for that same price. 

Thanks for the clarification. I've only done their cheapest printed plastic, and honestly, I've had no real issues with them. I first ordered back in 2018, though. Not when they first came out. I've got on "large" minotaur I took advantage of a coupon for, but otherwise, I've been pretty impressed with the overall quality of the cheapest stuff. Might be worth trying your suggestion, though...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mikem91 said:

how would i distinguish minis cast with more ductile resin from the brittle ones?

Unfortunately the only way is either from reviews of the final product or if the manufacturer tells you some information about their resin.  It seems like most people want to keep it close to vest like some sort of major secret, I can't think of any way of knowing ahead of time :( You could always ask and see what they say!

Smooth cast 300 and 305 is fast great detail resin from one of the largest chemical providers in the US, but it does tend to shatter on impact.  That is one of the most common used resins out there.  They also make 66D that we use.  It was designed by them specifically for the table top gaming community.  It comes with a nice mate grey color out of the barrel, the others come white and you can add black pigments to make your own grey.  But instead of a quick 10 minute cure cycle it has a 1 hour cure profile.  So you have to cycle lots of molds to get the same number of final pieces vs 300 or 305, but the end result is night and day different.  It cuts with a hobby knife so smooth and clean where 305 you tend to have to fight a bit and it can chip.

My suggestion would be to ask.

I Can tell you that Bombshell Babes uses the same 66D that we do.

Kevin

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

I keep looking at this KS and while I'm super curious, I think I'm going to sit this one out.  I only just recently bought one of the STLs I'd designed for one of my players and printed it off on my recently acquired resin printer.  Am very happy with how it turned out, as is said player (still haven't painted it).  I think I'll just watch how this goes and what folks say about the new magically "painted" resin minis.  

• Like 2

I'm definitely very curious about this one, but not interested in the same way.

I've painted quite a few heroforge minis over the years, and while their printing has improved, I still find that I prefer a finer sculpted mini pretty much every time.

But then again, I'm pretty good at customizing minis myself, so I haven't had a need to pick up any of theirs.

• Like 1

Tempted by this....

I am thinking that I want a dapper miniature of the good Baron.

Samedi, that is.

In the superhero cops game the Baron sometimes possesses one of the NPCs - to their mutual benefit, If one of the PCs has True Sight or the equivalent he is willing to talk to him or her - he likes the detective from New Orleans that he sometimes possesses, and... really likes to talk, preen, and pose.

Not a bad guy, and with the detective he rides is willing to even be heroic.

Can be bribed with good booze, good tobacco, and good food.

The Auld Grump - the detective does not believe in voodoun, is a good Catholic, and does not remember what happened when Samedi takes over - but is always in a better position than when he blacked out. Samedi isn't screwing him over.

• Like 2

Black Magic Craft released a review of one of these minis, so you get to see it a bit more closely.  Jeremy seemed rather blown away by it.  I'm still going to watch this one from the sidelines while I paint my ever-growing pile of plastic.  

• Like 2

On 1/19/2020 at 2:00 PM, Smokestack said:

I have a couple Hero Forge, and another in my gaming group gets them on occasion. Only had one mishap where his character dropped of the table and shattered. 

Price vs Quality. Thats a hard one. Having a custom mini is great, but the sculpts do not compare with the premium boutique resin minis... and are in general more expensive. Having a $20 resin min from Mierce/Darklands or Hasselfree works out cheaper than a hero forge mini... and usually looks better, but the $34 with shipping Hero forge mini does have all the options my Pathfinder character does... So, its a wash i guess. 

As an aside. There are some companies, Like Impact Miniatures, that offer resin printing for your hero forge mini... I did this, and it worked out to about half price vs ordering direct from Heroforge. I bought the .STL, uploaded it to Impact and got my mini from them.  My next Heroforge mini would likely go this route again. 

Wow.

And that is the standard Impact! resin?

Cool. :blues:

8 hours ago, Rahz said:

Black Magic Craft released a review of one of these minis, so you get to see it a bit more closely.  Jeremy seemed rather blown away by it.  I'm still going to watch this one from the sidelines while I paint my ever-growing pile of plastic.  

It survived at least a fall to the tabletop, and some wiggling.

Looks promising.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Wow.

And that is the standard Impact! resin?

Cool. :blues:

It survived at least a fall to the tabletop, and some wiggling.

Looks promising.

Yes. There is no option given with his service, it’s just the one level. Which is the premium resin print. Now he does have a grey resin and his translucent blue resin, but it appears he only does the 3D printing in the translucent blue.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

Yes. There is no option given with his service, it’s just the one level. Which is the premium resin print. Now he does have a grey resin and his translucent blue resin, but it appears he only does the 3D printing in the translucent blue.  

The grey resin is the 'trollcast' spin-cast resin, everything I have from Impact is in that resin

• Like 1

So, uh, I guess we are in for two?

Went to see what they had added, and discovered that Grump had pledged.

Not interested in the color, but I do want to see what is added to the options for character building.

3 Days left.

2 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

So, uh, I guess we are in for two?

Went to see what they had added, and discovered that Grump had pledged.

Not interested in the color, but I do want to see what is added to the options for character building.

3 Days left.

Look at the month given for possible delivery.

Add a month.

Seem familiar? :wub:

The Auld Grump - his and hers? ::):

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3