Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

HeroForge Custom mini KS

2 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

On the other hand - I give Impact high marks for their 3D prints of our HeroForge STLs - high quality prints, high detail, strong material, semi-reasonable price, and a turnaround of less than a week, from order to receiving the models.

Aside from a few places where we need to trim the support marks a bit, danged near perfect. (And they erred the right way on the supports - I would rather need to trim than have detail accidentally removed.)

A 9 out of 10 - and I'm the Russian judge. We will be ordering through them again. Probably both the mounted and foot versions of Dr. S. Grundy for me, and maybe a mounted version of Megan Hillshire for Megan.

Faster and less expensive than the un-colored HeroForge models, and at least as high a quality.

The Auld Grump

I think the colored render looks fine - but the actual model?

Is crap.

The Auld Grump

Maybe the Centaur Witch instead? For Kings of War?

My witches are more often than not pedestrians. ::P: Falling off a horse is easy when you are less than five feet tall, your legs don't fit the horse right.

• Like 2

It appears that the product can vary drastically -

dKfDeaK.jpg

T4uy7xC.jpg?1

Not great, but leagues above that tiefling.

Still, not $40 worth of better.

The Auld Grump

• Like 6

4 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Maybe the Centaur Witch instead? For Kings of War?

My witches are more often than not pedestrians. ::P: Falling off a horse is easy when you are less than five feet tall, your legs don't fit the horse right.

The traditional mount for halfling witches is the Woof-Woof.

49907259906_89a1d81bed_b.jpgMegan Hillshire on Woof Woof by Megan O'Brien, on Flickr

The Auld Grump - I accidentally saved that image to Megan's gaming Flickr... for some reason her computer seems to be logged into it.... <_<

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 2

Browsing the HF2 comments... :upside:

Reddit has a HF group, but it's tedious sorting out the renders vs. actual prints. Look for threads saying "I got it this in the mail". : https://www.reddit.com/r/HeroForgeMinis/

Colors in beta, and I think dissatisfied customers have been given refunds? As I understand it, HF decided not to go with a a glossy treatment mentioned in the KS.

Search on "Hero forge grey plastic" for their older grey plastic reviews, which seem to be more positive. While the strength of the current color product is not the quality of the paint job (especially on a painting forum), some players cannot get a miniature sculpt matching their character, and like the convenience of a tabletop paint job, much like prepainted miniatures.

Large scale printing from backer's printer:

BBTA613.jpg

Arrived in the mail

zoJY4b8.jpg

Dissatisfied customer posted this pic in the latest HF2 update

Fq5dppM.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It cannot pick up metals very good.....I'm actually suprised at the back lash, these look the same quality as what was displayed in the kickstarter.

These are far more zoomed in than the images they showed, during the kickstarter, but they've always had that chalking grainy look. Exactly the reason why I just went for .stl files. I think the bugger the ck trast between light and shade also work better.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, talion78 said:

It cannot pick up metals very good.....I'm actually suprised at the back lash, these look the same quality as what was displayed in the kickstarter.

These are far more zoomed in than the images they showed, during the kickstarter, but they've always had that chalking grainy look. Exactly the reason why I just went for .stl files. I think the bugger the ck trast between light and shade also work better.

No, even zoomed in, they really do not match the quality of either the miniatures shown in the KS or of those sent out to demonstrate the product.

a73e16a971063c0ec94495f9e2353576_origina

Vs.

zoJY4b8.jpg

Similar scale

Vs.

17ot6tana2z41.png

Higher magnification.

HeroForge did a bait and switch.

Lower resolution prints than demonstrated, with an entirely different finish than initially promised.

The resolution of the color prints is visibly lower than that on their monochrome prints.

My guess is that they sped things up by using a lower resolution than they had on the demonstration models, with a resulting drop in production quality.

They deserve to lose every sale this duplicity costs them.

I was not particularly impressed by the demonstration miniatures - that what they actually produced is of lower quality is completely unacceptable.

These are crap - and they are charging for a premium product.

I rather hope someone takes them to court over this.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

So far the comments in this KS are still rather positive. But yes, I've never been super-duper impressed by the resolution of Hero Forge miniatures and for more common race/class/weapon combinations you're mostly better off finding a traditional miniature. I understand the wish for customisation though.

Still, for the price the process and material shouldn't be in the experimental stages and backers should get a product more closely resembling the KS images and the miniatures shown in youtube videos. 

• Like 1

To confirm, y'all are discussing the product you received from the Kickstarter from January?

So this project is fulfilled? Anyone waiting on product?

5 hours ago, ladystorm said:

To confirm, y'all are discussing the product you received from the Kickstarter from January?

So this project is fulfilled? Anyone waiting on product?

Fulfilling, anyway.

People have to design their minis, then HF has to make them.

Gonna take a while, since HF is waiting on their patrons to send in what they want.

We still have three or four STLs to go, on our STLs only pledge.

Happy with that part, at least. ::):

I technically backed this for access to the design doojamhickey; the miniature was a sort of side bonus. If it's good, great. If it's not, well. Eh.

Either way, I don't have it yet, so ... Jury's out.

I've received my KS rewards.  mini finish quality is a solid "meh".  The grainy texture makes the mini look like it got dusted with talc.  It's ok at arms length, but not something I'd be proud of putting on the table.  I do wonder if acetone or alcohol could improve the surface texture.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1