HeroForge Custom mini KS

3 hours ago, mikem91 said:

I've received my KS rewards.  mini finish quality is a solid "meh".  The grainy texture makes the mini look like it got dusted with talc.  It's ok at arms length, but not something I'd be proud of putting on the table.  I do wonder if acetone or alcohol could improve the surface texture.

Try with a coat of gloss varnish.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/21/2020 at 1:47 PM, Cicciopiu said:

Try with a coat of gloss varnish.

Just a little bit of near necromancy, I did try a gloss vanish coat, but the grainy text remains.  maybe exposure to solvent fumes would help smooth it out.  i'm not sure, but also not equipped to try.

• Like 1

Sad to hear people's experiences were so negative. I've only had three HF minis printed, but I was satisfied with their quality each and every time. I have a huge selection of personally designed minis, and I considered backing for the STLs so that I could go third party and get them for a bit less, but I opted not to. C'est la vie.

3 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

Sad to hear people's experiences were so negative. I've only had three HF minis printed, but I was satisfied with their quality each and every time. I have a huge selection of personally designed minis, and I considered backing for the STLs so that I could go third party and get them for a bit less, but I opted not to. C'est la vie.

Their monochrome models look infinitely better than their collored models.

Their original monochrome models were just as bad, but they got better.

VERY happy with the Impact print of the HF STLs.

So glad I warned Grump off.

• Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Their monochrome models look infinitely better than their collored models.

Their original monochrome models were just as bad, but they got better.

VERY happy with the Impact print of the HF STLs.

So glad I warned Grump off.

It should be said, all of mine were printed at least a year prior to this KS, if not further back, so they were the standard grey. I should do a show-off thread for them...

5 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

It should be said, all of mine were printed at least a year prior to this KS, if not further back, so they were the standard grey. I should do a show-off thread for them...

I got Megan some figures when Heroforge was brand new... the quality was not good - and the minis were incredibly fragile - we are talking about breaking when drybrushed levels of fragility. More like tiny particles glued together than a solid model.

A later model was much, much better - grey plastic, better detail, and could handle a bit of abuse.

That said - the ones we got from Impact, using the STLs we pledged for on the KS, are even better than the Heroforge one from last year. (And two were of the same model I designed for Megan on the early Heroforge. ::): )

The color ones have a rough texture, and the colors are... weird.

But they are nowhere near as fragile as those early Heroforge models, and the detail is good, even if the texture is... kind of rough.

The Auld Grump - We know two people that bought them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@PaganMegan @TheAuldGrump   Thank you so much for the kind words on my 3-D Printing service.   Very glad you are happy.  I just found this thread tonight.   I keep trying new equipment and new resins to make sure I get the best quality 3-D prints that I can for people that have the most details while being durable (not brittle) so you can game with them.

If anyone tries our service and has an issue ... I promise to do my best to make it right.   Really made me smile to see the thumbs up for the work!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.