Is this a class people would be interested in?

So i got some ideas from fellow forumites, but i want to know from others if they would be interested in such a class before i think about submitting it when submissions open. Since the thread moves fast and my question got buried pretty quick, i'll post it here for a better chance of getting some opinions

So the idea from Inarah was "I think a dinosaur class would be cool, too.  Scientists are discovering all kinds of interesting skin patterns for them and it would be nice to know how to do that instead of just painting them brown or green. "

So a class on realistic painting of dinosaurs and other reptiles, that is different from my dragon painting since that focuses more on wild colorations while this one would be how to do patterns that look natural but interesting.

i could also cover the addition of feathers using green stuff, i know some people want feathered dino minis.

is this something there is an audience for?

i did some experimenting on some of my own minis after the suggestion to see if it was even something i could do, and i think i could teach adding feathers well enough on top of realistic color patterns

IMG_20200119_220919.jpg

IMG_20200118_092751.jpg

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 9
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron likes the idea, so i'll start planning. I'm thinking i can do half the class on the basics of feathers, let them experiment a bit on it, then rest of class be on colors and patterns. i can also have hand out that can cover a lot of what i talk about for colors which should help conserve time.

only trouble i might run into is sculpting tools, as i only have a few gifted to me by Andy or Julie and not enough for a class. So that area of the class may be mroe demonstration than hands on...unless i can find something suitable at hobby lobby

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

Ron likes the idea, so i'll start planning. I'm thinking i can do half the class on the basics of feathers, let them experiment a bit on it, then rest of class be on colors and patterns. i can also have hand out that can cover a lot of what i talk about for colors which should help conserve time.

only trouble i might run into is sculpting tools, as i only have a few gifted to me by Andy or Julie and not enough for a class. So that area of the class may be mroe demonstration than hands on...unless i can find something suitable at hobby lobby

there's always the "Small nail glued into a dowl" sculpting tool....Not as nice but could be good for a little hands on.

• Like 2

I will keep that in mind and check hobby stores for something similar to what I have. I would like people to at least try their hand at feathers

Another question is,would it be better to leave my modifications unpainted for the class, or paint them? Like the blacktooth I am feathering 

IMG_20200121_112601.jpg

• Like 4

so after some discussion, i'll be splitting it into 2 classes. Part 1 is sculpting and modifications on a dino mini, part 2 is painting realistic color schemes. They'll be scheduled on different days so that those that want to attend both can bring their green stuffed raptor to part 2 to paint it if they so wish

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 1/23/2020 at 11:17 AM, Sirithiliel said:

Have a recommended tools list/kit? Publish it in the class description and/or have it on the forums with a picture.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, TGP said:

Have a recommended tools list/kit? Publish it in the class description and/or have it on the forums with a picture.

Good idea, but not a easy one since the three tools I have were hand made and given to me, two by talespinner and one from Julie Guthrie

I shall see what I can find in the hobby store that looks similar to what they made

• Like 1

I had some spare, non modified bones raptors I had already painted,but I am now repainting them for the painting natural colors class examples 

Each one uses a real world animal for inspiration, i chose a different animal group for each one

One is a fish, a Grouper

One is a mammal, a civet

One is a insect, the Scarlet Swallowtail

One is a amphibian, a bullfrog

One is a reptile,a iguana

They are of course still a WIP

IMG_20200214_194951.jpg

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 5