Sign in to follow this  
safsren

Subscription box?

might be a stupid suggestion but what would you think of doing a subscription type box? pay like $10 a month and get 3 random minis.  Perhaps have some customization options like

adding more minis

"just monsters" or "hero minis"

choose between Bones or pewter

choosing between the different themes, can be as broad as fantasy vs scifi or as specific as Dark Heavens vs Pathfinder

Just an idea I've been playing with for a little while and I just thought how nice it'd be to get random minis every month.

I like the idea, but for other people. I’m pretty particular about which minis I want and which minis I want to paint. Plus, I’d be upset if I kept getting random picks of minis I already own. Sorry if it comes across negative, it’s just not what I would personally want. 

• Like 3

I am not a fan of random boxes, never have been. For some reason other people seem to like them. 

• Like 2

Not a fan of random either.  I think the most successful version of this I saw was Privateer's mini crate where each month was one special edition mini that was only available that month and they destroyed the mold after.  I also am not a fan of 'get it now or never get it' though, so, yeah.....
as others have said, it would probably have it's fans, but probably not for me.

• Like 3

I’m not a fan of the subscription box idea.  This said, it would be nice to have a bundle of just the minis for the Miniature Mondays stream.  (I already have the paints so the set with both minis and paints doesn’t interest me.) Such a bundle could satisfy the desire for a subscription box.

• Like 3

Asset Drop in the UK do a variety of subscription boxes with different themes such as Heroes/Heroines, Monsters and Discovery packs. They range in price from £20 to £30 and are a nice idea if you want to step outside your comfort zone and get some new paints at the same time. I wouldn't get it every month, but I occasionally pick up one of the boxes if I'm in a painting funk.

They also have a section that shows previous months offerings, so you can get an idea of what they send out.

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 2

If you want random, why not roll some dice and place an order.  DHL figures run from 2001 to 4000+.  Roll a d4 and a few d10 and generate numbers.  Warlord numbers are 14000 - 147xx.   Within a few minutes you can have nice lists of random figures.  But I'm betting, based on experience, that you're going to look at those and think "eh, I don't really want that one", because you don't want random figures you want someone else to do the work of figuring out what you want and selecting it for you.  I'm also betting you don't already have many figures, or you could "randomly" reach into that pile and pick a few to paint. 

Many of us own a substantial number of figures and don't want or need random duplicates, so you may not find a lot of support for it here.  We know what we want the figures for -- gaming, display, etc -- and make specific choices based on those needs.  Someone wants a dwarf fighter with an axe for their next character.  Someone needs a selection of undead for an encounter in their game.  Someone is looking for a cool piece to convert for a contest.  

So, what are you looking for?  You don't know?  If you truly want random, roll some dice. Otherwise, give some thought to what you use the figures for and what you enjoy about them, then make choices. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Maybe instead of a subscription service Reaper could make monthly (or quarterly) "encounter" bundles similar to what they did in the most recent KS. These bundles could include a small assortment of minis that are themed for a certain encounter, and then people could choose to buy them or not. That would have the curation aspect without that forced risk of getting duplicates for the more prolific mini hoarders

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

This said, it would be nice to have a bundle of just the minis for the Miniature Mondays stream.  (I already have the paints so the set with both minis and paints doesn’t interest me.) Such a bundle could satisfy the desire for a subscription box.

That actually may work. I still think that if you own one or more of those minis already, it wouldn’t be that attractive. Right now if I’m not super stoked to order off the website, I throw some of my disposable $ and get a few more things from the Kickstarter. With many people on budgets, having a reoccurring charge for something you may or may not want seems like it could flop. The current bundle system for Miniature Monday I think would be the closest thing that could be successful. 

Just one persons opinion though. Good topic for folks to weigh in on

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fire_Eyes said:

Maybe instead of a subscription service Reaper could make monthly (or quarterly) "encounter" bundles similar to what they did in the most recent KS. These bundles could include a small assortment of minis that are themed for a certain encounter, and then people could choose to buy them or not. That would have the curation aspect without that forced risk of getting duplicates for the more prolific mini hoarders

That's a really clever idea. I like it.

• Like 3

I would be into a "subscription" box or a "mini of the month" if they were things you couldn't get elsewhere.  If it was stuff like the Wraith in last Halloween's Ghoulie Bag, that would be really cool. 

Edited by onthebus36
  • Like 2

I like the idea, and maybe it would work better for others, but I have a few concerns:

-Clearly by this thread, a lot of people would prefer to simply choose their minis

-For those wanting something slightly more random, the Kickstarter exists.  Not random, but it comes with so much that you're definitely getting that "stepping out of your comfort zone" benefit, while also getting minis at a much better pricepoint (though obviously with delayed gratification)

- They could diversify a bit and add tiles, adventure hooks, etc for a general tabletop gaming box, but some of those already exist.

Now... on the other hand, if Reaper did a monthly box with figures, paint, basing, and a terrain piece or two (maybe valued at roughly $30... that might work.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Cyradis said:

21 hours ago, Crissair said:

That actually may work. I still think that if you own one or more of those minis already, it wouldn’t be that attractive. Right now if I’m not super stoked to order off the website, I throw some of my disposable $ and get a few more things from the Kickstarter. With many people on budgets, having a reoccurring charge for something you may or may not want seems like it could flop. The current bundle system for Miniature Monday best miniature paints I think would be the closest thing that could be successful. 

Just one persons opinion though. Good topic for folks to weigh in on

I like the idea, and maybe it would work better for others it is a Good topic for folks to weigh in on!

The Miniature Monday program they started this month sort of fits this subscription niche. If they can get it together and post the sets for purchase in time to actually have the minis and paints in hand so we can paint along all month! I just got the core set of colors and am eager to order February's set...

• Like 2

My opinion here shouldn't count for too much since I'm still very, very new to this group and also have only recently picked this back up. That said. I did have some thoughts around this. 

Things i like about the idea of a subscription box: 

1. Receiving things i may not normally buy (pushes me outside my boundaries).

2. Getting to try new paints, brushes, turf, tools, etc.  

3. Seeing variety outside of my own likes.  Even being exposed to things i didn't even know about.

4. Relatively lower cost overall than buying individually. 

Things that I'm trepidations about: 

1. May get duplicates. 

2. May end up just going into box of shame. 

3. No understanding of how to utilize what is in the box (tools, technical items).

4.  No ability to pick a theme or type of level I'm at to match the box picks. 

Where i see a lot of these boxes lean outside of my range are either price or simply minatures i have no interest in.  I'm still a big fan of random within reason (keeping to a genre), but full on random could have some real bombs in there.  I love new paints and really wouldn't complain too much about dupes there since it means i could use more liberally or find a fun project to go nuts!  #jacksonpollock.  

I think a fair range is between $25 to $30 (shipping included)   a couple minis, couple paints, some extra doo dads, NO CANDY,  and what i think would be really fun is a how to article or video link on how it all comes together.  Or maybe create a side forum for subscribers to discuss how/what they did.  

I see this being a great way for someone new, like me, to really get to see more of the craft.  I am very aware many of you are deep into paints, countless unpainted, or have nearly all the things you need.  But for someone like me, getting familiarized with new and interesting things could help open my eyes to new possibilities.  

Sign me up if this becomes a thing. 

• Like 2