Sign in to follow this  
Highlander

Bones Black --- First Ride

I have opened my first Bones Black mini -- a bust.  In spite of my resolution to stay away from bones, this figure is just to nice to pass up.

So, any tips on dealing with Bones Black?  I assume you clean, deal with seams, prime (without water), and paint much like any other Bones figure.  Any pitfalls I might not be aware of?

• Like 3

So far all the Bones Black minis have not been nearly as fussy when it comes to primers, even the cheap Walmart rattlecans have worked!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have been trying out brown liner as a sort-of-primer on bones black and it has worked out, as well as adding some shadows in the recesses. Plus it helps pick out some of the finer details without covering them up

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I primed my first Bones Black with Vallejo Brush On Primer.

Then painted it as usual.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Why have you resolved to stay away from bones black?  What is your preferred material and why?

Just curious.  I have a couple bones black figs but haven't started on them yet.

If you are asking me, the answer is Bones White.  In short, the difficulty in priming them, the difficulty in prepping them (as in mold lines and gaps), and their softness.  For example, I tried five or six times to straighten a staff -- heating, cooling, boiling, freezing -- that had the plastic memory overcame all efforts to modify it.  It might straighten for a couple of days, but, then, back to the curve.

I prefer metal.

But, I'm willing to give Bones Black a try.  It is a harder plastic and that should (he said, hopefully) mitigate the issues above.

• Like 5

Interestingly enough, the current line of CAV mechs seem to be made of the same or very similar material to Bones Black and when I went to straighten a bent gun barrel with hot water, it suddenly popped totally straight without touching it! Several weeks later, still arrow straight.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

Interestingly enough, the current line of CAV mechs seem to be made of the same or very similar material to Bones Black and when I went to straighten a bent gun barrel with hot water, it suddenly popped totally straight without touching it! Several weeks later, still arrow straight.

Yup, Bones Black is pretty much the same as CAV HD, if I remember correctly.  It definitely helps for the mechs! 

Bones Black is a really nice in-between material bridging the gap between metal and original Bonesium. Less fragile than metal, but approaching the detail level. Still not there, but improved. Less bendy than Bonesium, but has a little bit of give. Will still snap for narrow dropped parts though. I think it is easier to clean up than original Bonesium, because it can be filed better. It is less gummy. The little bit of resistance feels better with a Xacto. However, it is tougher to convert than original due to being more resistant to cutting too.

I do like metal more, but Bones Black is great for tabletopping or whims of "ooh, need that".

• Like 4

I am probably zoning because I've been under the weather for a bit, but I can't think of what came out as a bust in Bones Black so I'm dying of curiosity to know what the mini is?

• Like 1

@Cyradisthe trick to cutting bones black is to heat it then cut / slice with a sharp knife such as an exacto or scalpel. Heat it in the same way you would to straighten out bendy bits. I immerse the part in recently boiled water for a few seconds to a minute or more depending on the thickness of the part in question.

When hot, it cuts easy as pie.

When cold, it is really difficult to cut with anything else than saws, and that dulls the sawblade something fierce as well.

• Thanks 5