Jump to content

Maledrakh's B4Core #159 Ghost Pirate


Recommended Posts


200126-b4core-159-ghost-pirate-1.jpg?w=2 200126-b4core-159-ghost-pirate-5.jpg?w=2 200126-b4core-159-ghost-pirate-2.jpg?w=2 200126-b4core-159-ghost-pirate-4.jpg?w=2 200126-b4core-159-ghost-pirate-3.jpg?w=2

Here I have tried edge-highlighting, that is painting the edges directly with the brush and not drybrushing or similar other techniques. I am not really satisfied with the results, but live and learn. It would seem I have been a bit heavy handed or even missed what I have been aiming at here and there. The other bits are painted in the same way as above, apart fromt he monkey on his back that was first done in brown ink, but did not work. So I went over it with two tones of brown paint instead. Eye in Vallejo Magic blue and Reaper Copper Verdigris.

Oh, and I used black ink on the eyepatch. The boathook was not painted with dark gray wash first, but just edge highlighted with Scalecolor Amethyst Metal.This makes it more ethereal I think.

The shaft was given a stripe of dark brown.


My schedule is increasingly packed these days, so painting time is getting scarce. These are even more speedpainted than usual, just minutes spent on each with some drying time in between.

The Ghost Pirate subset that was added to the Bones 4 core set during the last day of the kickstarter campaign.


These are made in translucent green material.

The key to painting translucents are first to undercoat with clear varnish. I used Vallejo matte varnish through my airbrush. The varnish lets the paint adhere to the plastic and avoids a lot of grief with paint beading or running away from where you want it to go. Then paint with predominantly translucent paint such as inks.


With these I tried a few different variations on how to paint them. First I gave them all a thin wash of Citadel Hexwraith Flame (the Nighthaunt green technical paint), making sure to wick up any pooling. This wash helped create some contrast, which in turn let me actually see some of the details.

When dry, I used Vallejo Dark Grey Model Wash on the heads, exposed bone bits and other details on most of them. After this was dry, I went in with Reaper Dungeon Slime, a bright and pale green, with high density pigment. (Which really is not ideal for translucents, as this is a really opaque paint.) But I wanted to try this out. The results ...varied.

I decided to quickly be done with them and covered the base in my autumn flock mix as usual.

A little to quickly it seems, as there still is flock and static grass in unsightly places as seen in the photos. I will be removing said offending matter as soon as I can be bothered.


#159, the Ghost Pirate subset

Bones 4 Core set, 2019

Reaper Miniatures

Sculpted by Julie Guthrie

Made in Translucent Green Bonesium PVC

30mm base.

should be available from reapermini.com some time in the future in Bones. Currently available in metal.


  • Like 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...