Sign in to follow this  
LordDave

A note to first timers coming to Reapercon 2020

This is a quick note to first time attendees of Reapercon. There's a few things you should know. First, those of us who have been to several Reapercons welcome you. Don't feel like you need an invitation to come hang out and chat or paint with us. Just walk up and say, Hey, is this spot open? Im so and so... Most folks there are very similar to you and there is a good feeling of acceptance there, but you may need to open that door first as many are just as shy as you may be.

Next, bring stuff you have finished for feedback and some in-progress stuff. there are lots of folks who will be at the same place on their painting journey as you, some will be even newer than you, and some will be a little further down the road. but the vast majority, nearly all in fact, will love to share tips and encouragement with you and vice versa, they will want to know how you did this or that.
Before the con, take advantage of the many social outlets, like the forums or Facebook, there are lots of posts about what to bring, what classes you may like, styles of instructors etc. Use the experiences of others to make your first year awesome. Oh and Be prepared to leave with a lot more than you came with, except vendors, hopefully yall leave with no inventory and a backpack full of sales records.
Lastly, Reapercon is sacred to us, chances are it will be to you too. Its a very caring and welcoming crowd, very family like without all the drama. Its also trust filled environment, people share more readily there than anywhere else I have been, but if something is laying about unguarded, leave it be, or better still, keep an eye on it for whoever had to run to class or go root through the melt table. take advantage of the access to instructors on the artist rows, we love to talk. Take classes, but dont overwhelm yourself. Go do some of Ludos Hijinx, Sophie Says etc.

basically, Reapercon is a truly wonderful experience, Help us keep it that way. and again come say hello to us, most of us don't bite, (well maybe that Canadian goblin guy if you happen to smell like peanut butter cups.)

I feel like I speak for most of us when I say, We are glad youre coming to see why we all love this convention so much and can't wait to start building stories with you.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, LordDave said:

Don't feel like you need an invitation to come hang out and chat or paint with us.

This definitely applies to people on artists' row, too. It can get a bit boring waiting for somebody to come by to chat. And if nobody is coming by, then people are even less likely to come by.

So drop by and ask a question, or show off your stuff, or just start talking or join an existing conversation. We like that.

Really. ^_^

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Please come visit my desk!  I have chocolate! It's how I lure innocent con-goers to my secret lair.  Muah hah ha!

My first reapercon, 2014,  I tried to hide in my little corner.  But everyone was so kind and welcoming, I couldn't stay hidden for long! I met so many folks I call friends now.  It truly is a mini family reunion. We all want to help and teach. And we do get lonely!  I am happy to answer any questions, give feedback and do mini-demos if you need extra explanation. I usually have extra handouts from prior years if you can't make any of my classes, and I can give you files if you have a portable drive. I tend to forget to email files, though...

• Like 11

^^^ what they said! My first Reaper Con, 2017, can best be described as, "I found my tribe!" And that feeling has only grown over the last couple of years as I meet more great people and share these wonderful, crazy, niche hobbies of ours. So, yes, please swing by artist's row and if we're not there at the moment, chances are we're teaching, shopping, or volunteering somewhere. Especially Corporea - when you spot her, you may need to hurry, catch her before she accelerates. :poke: ::D: 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It'll be my first RC, and I'm excited to soak up the talent and expertise on display there. I'm new to the hobby, and am inspired by the sense of community and artistry. I appreciate your note that is both welcoming and appropriately concerned that an influx of new fans could upset the sense of community that has existed for some time. For my part, I hope to come and learn, join in respectfully and honor what has made this a great community. I appreciate your welcome and your request to recognize what has made the space great up to this point.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Joshinminn said:

It'll be my first RC, and I'm excited to soak up the talent and expertise on display there. I'm new to the hobby, and am inspired by the sense of community and artistry. I appreciate your note that is both welcoming and appropriately concerned that an influx of new fans could upset the sense of community that has existed for some time. For my part, I hope to come and learn, join in respectfully and honor what has made this a great community. I appreciate your welcome and your request to recognize what has made the space great up to this point.

based on your reply, you will fit right in.  Welcome to the tribe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Last year was my first time attending Reapercon and I have to say that it was everything I hoped it'd be.  People were really nice and friendly without being overly intimidating.  I'm a shy person but found that even I was comfortable painting in the huge room with everyone else.  

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, Shadowphaze said:

Last year was my first time attending Reapercon and I have to say that it was everything I hoped it'd be.  People were really nice and friendly without being overly intimidating.  I'm a shy person but found that even I was comfortable painting in the huge room with everyone else.  

As crazy as it may sound to some, especially first time attendees planning their trip:

The main reason I go to ReaperCon these days is to hang out with friends and artists (and friends who are artists) in the main painting area.

Classes and games are icing on the cake.

• Like 9

One of the ways to meet people is to play "The Ribbon Game".  Reaper gives out a number of different ribbons to go on your convention badge, given for many different reasons from attending the Meet and Greet to taking classes.  Quite a few of the long time attendees [ and a few of us newer folk as well] also have ribbons to hand out.  If you see somebody that looks like they are handing out ribbons, introduce yourself.

Paint and Take is also a good way to meet people.  Find a seat, grab a mini and a plate for paint and have fun!

When it gets closer to Con time look for Bingo Cards!  Some Forumites will have a small badge with their Avatar on it.  They will also have a Bingo Card and they are chasing other Bingo Players.  Grab a card and join in the fun.

GEM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

One of the ways to meet people is to play "The Ribbon Game".  Reaper gives out a number of different ribbons to go on your convention badge, given for many different reasons from attending the Meet and Greet to taking classes.  Quite a few of the long time attendees [ and a few of us newer folk as well] also have ribbons to hand out.  If you see somebody that looks like they are handing out ribbons, introduce yourself.

Paint and Take is also a good way to meet people.  Find a seat, grab a mini and a plate for paint and have fun!

When it gets closer to Con time look for Bingo Cards!  Some Forumites will have a small badge with their Avatar on it.  They will also have a Bingo Card and they are chasing other Bingo Players.  Grab a card and join in the fun.

GEM

You get ribbons for Bingo, too; last year there was not only the BINGO! ribbon, there was also a black out ribbon.

It's a lot of fun. The addition of kids made last year's ribbons actually more fun, somehow? There were kids treating it like a scavenger quest, it was great (not harmed in the least by random bellowing across the con floor). 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

You get ribbons for Bingo, too; last year there was not only the BINGO! ribbon, there was also a black out ribbon.

It's a lot of fun. The addition of kids made last year's ribbons actually more fun, somehow? There were kids treating it like a scavenger quest, it was great (not harmed in the least by random bellowing across the con floor). 

And you didn't even mention the ribbon for Chili bombs! :lol:

GEM

last year was my first year and it was amazing....so many things to do and see and people to meet.  everyone was very friendly and showed us the ropes of a convention newby....

• Like 4

On 1/28/2020 at 12:38 PM, klarg1 said:

As crazy as it may sound to some, especially first time attendees planning their trip:

The main reason I go to ReaperCon these days is to hang out with friends and artists (and friends who are artists) in the main painting area.

Classes and games are icing on the cake.

After the many years of attending, the people are the thing I look forward to the most.

• Like 4