Glitterwolf

GETTING TO KNOW YOU FEBRUARY 2020 by GLITTERWOLF

22 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Feb. 13th.

From now on you can only collect/paint minis from one race/army/faction, which one will it be and why?

Hoo-boy...  This comes up just as I’ve been thinking about picking a faction for Age of Sigmar, since my co-workers are getting into AOS and AoS:Warcry.  I’ve been eyeing the Gloomspite Gitz, ‘cause goblins are just so fun to paint, and come with so many varied and entertaining sculpts, you could never get tired of them!  So if I picked a new faction/race to go with forever and ever, it would be goblins...

...But if you go by what I’ve already bought and collected the most of any single faction, then it would have to be... the Empire!  Rows upon rows of Stormtroopers, ready to serve under Emperor Palpatine and Lord Vader in crushing those Rebel scum!

16 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

The Any Race.  Or the Miscellaneous Army  I always like to find a weasel way out of restrictions.

Yeah.  Always go with the mercenary factions.  They’ll hire anybody!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, TGP said:

Is there a difference between a Troll-Dragon versus a Dragon-Troll?

Wait....don’t answer. [ !! ] Let @Glitterwolf use that as a future question. 

Inspired by the above.

WEEKEND QUESTION FEB. 14th /Feb.16th.

What is the strangest/most brutal/awesome hybrid creature you can think of?

Does it already exist as a mini?

Can you draw/build/convert one or did you already?

Pics?

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Inspired by the above.

Pics?

A 2 kilos Spider-Mosquito... Can you imagine a flying spider shooting you with spider webs, dropping on your back, paralizing you with toxines then sucking all your blood while you are still alive? 
I mean... it is a broccoliing spider... with wings... even God refused to create it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Cicciopiu said:

A 2 kilos Spider-Mosquito... Can you imagine a flying spider shooting you with spider webs, dropping on your back, paralizing you with toxines then sucking all your blood while you are still alive? 
I mean... it is a broccoliing spider... with wings... even God refused to create it!

Fun fact: members of the spider genus Selenops are expert gliders and have been documented steering themselves towards trees and such after being dropped from a height of at least 24m. They may not weigh 2kg. But they have all of your standard neuro and hemotoxins with which to paralyze and liquify the insides of their prey. Also, once they are on a tree their camouflage makes them practically invisible! 

Just ignore that crawling sensation on your back. I'm sure it's nothing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 10
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Inspired by the above.

Pics?

I pass. That is not my thing.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Inspired by the above.

Pics?

A while ago I stumbled upon this on Deviant Art.

Viperantula.

I have a strong urge to convert/build one!

image.png.cbdc93ede18f7fab33e5d25e0136932c.png

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

Question Feb. 13th.

From now on you can only collect/paint minis from one race/army/faction, which one will it be and why?

a Lizardmen army led by dragons, with giants as heavies. 

I will miss humans, but at least I can finish painting my "lizardmen in the style of..." series.  

I don't always enjoy the process of painting dragons, but when I get a good one its all I can think about.

One of my dragons is named "Insomnia" because I kept getting/staying up in the night and working on it.  it was 90% painted between 9pm-6am.  

and Giants - this allows me to do all the fun human skin and armor,  without having to do fiddly little eyes, or fight too hard with the details. 

the hobby would have a lot less low intensity breaks between big projects, but the minis I did finish would be spectacular. 

----

as a weird side note, as a kid I used to play with a lot of (non-drying) modeling clay.  Mostly making figures smaller than 12mm, without many details.

my largest project was a lizardman army based on Warhammer army photos  - 125+ really tiny figures in units of 5/25  with command groups with leaders, standard bearers, musicians & priests, and huge turtles with howdahs full of archers. 

- Or maybe it was Ewoks. I also loved doing Ewoks and tree houses.  not in the same numbers, but the trees were bigger. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 8

12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:
On 2/13/2020 at 8:19 AM, TGP said:

Is there a difference between a Troll-Dragon versus a Dragon-Troll?

It would seem I have much to answer for.  :B): This weekend question has numerous moving parts. The first thing I did was look to see if anybody out there has attempted to draw-paint a Troll Dragon/Dragon Troll. Things turned up in that image search, so Yes. Out of the first batch or so, I liked this critter the best:

42257d0ae8e563e66d56bbe2ca4f19bb.png

The artist is Tomek Larek, (I think. Wretched Pinterest appears to have grabbed a lot of his work... <_< ...making it hard to be sure.) But I think that dragon would fit in very well in the world of MALEFACTUS.

Inspired by the above.

Pics?

Rather than do a huge long post my plan is to have fun answering the other EIGHT questions in separate posts spaced out during the weekend. (I think a Nine Question! weekend might be :unsure: a record.)

Right... back to the question that inspired the questions: I think that, at least when using English, a Dragon Troll would look different from a Troll Dragon. The order would dictate which would predominate. For RPG purposes, in a bestiary (monstiary?) either entry would be a fell creature that regenerated. So Yipes! Although, in story and legend not all Trolls regenerate, authors differed. It is the Poul Anderson Troll from Three Hearts And Three Lions that blessed cursed RPGs everywhere with regenerating, fire vulnerable, Trolls.  

I have not quite decided what I think the difference would be visually. But “can you draw it” is a later question in the series and I have other stuff to draw first. This was someone else’s take on a Troll Dragon:

340?cb=20130715173150

...but there is so little troll involved, it just looks like a dragon to me.

Edited by TGP
Tag Fail.
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Pics?

Ignoring any of the Lovecraftian horrors, that would be most of my creations from the Bones Mashup class during ReaperCon.

The hill giant touched the cursed wand, and is transformed (or is still transforming) into an abomination.

bPXqYKs.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, malefactus said:

I pass. That is not my thing.

......Says the person with a forest full of goblin mushrooms. ::P:

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Inspired by the above.

Pics?

A @buglips*the*goblin/flumph hybrid, it's ability to squirt stench will make you (wish you were) dead.

Also, anyone traveling the wilderness should beware...........the duckbunny.

image.png.9238fcafcb7234ed5d5f32ffd963bf5a.png

Also, I will be very disappointed if @Froggy the Great has nothing to say on the subject matter.

Edited by Pezler the Polychromatic
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

13 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Focusing on the "strangest" category of that question.

I don't have to think or imagine it, as someone else already does: the vast majority of monsters from the Kingdom Death range... or the movie Human Centipede.

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I hope the Human Centipede NEVER exists as a mini... but given the access to 3D printing these days... in a world of 7-8 billion people... I have my fears...

Not bashing the Kingdom Death, to each their own tastes, but their monsters are not what I personally desire.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

13 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Pics?

Strangest: I think consideration needs to be given to the Wolpertinger (the mascot of our House Frogwarts).

According to this article no two Wolpertingers are alike.

8DE55348-1677-441D-89D2-BC05BBFDECA8.thumb.jpeg.3a1be7d6c5b4125bdc81d59402a2975e.jpeg

This one is part Fox. My recollection is that the House Frogwarts version, as specified by the Bryan formerly known as ReaperBryan, is part Wolf (perhaps it is a Dire Wolpertinger.)

But my memory is getting all wobbly: could be wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

16 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Pics?

This is a ditty I made up for my daughter, when she was just a wee little girl of 5 years (she’s now a college senior):

It’s the butterfly mermaid dog!

Yes, the butterfly mermaid dog!

It has butterfly wings,

And a mermaid’s tail,

It’s the butterfly mermaid dog!

There were even some preliminary plans to write a children’s book about it.  I will edit this post, if I somehow manage to find the sketch I made of it.  The odds of finding it again are very low, though. :unsure:

Perhaps I have found my next figure customization...

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Inspired by the above.

Pics?

Like...like some towering ogre-esque torso with gigantic arms and big steel anvil-ly bits for hands, dragging its lower half around which is like a big block of some sort. It’s also got a tight iron band over its eyes and maybe like pulling back it’s cheeks on either side in a grimace? I guess we’d file it under ‘abomination’ categorically.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1