GETTING TO KNOW YOU FEBRUARY 2020 by GLITTERWOLF

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Feb. 26th

Do you actively hunt for vintage/oop miniatures?

Which ones do you really like to get your hands on?

Not really, I browse "Bring and buy" stands at shows, but more in the hope of a mild bargain than the expectation of finding something exceptional. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's been on my list since I joined! I bought the clear Kyphrixus during the KS because I wanted to make him into a night light. It was a natural step for me since many ambitious cosplayers have fun p

I think my best conversion is the bird man I did for a friend’s character. I took a GW demon bird guy, filled in his face and beak, gave him bird feet, added on a pair of reaper wings, and sculpted in

I was printing a Hero Forge mini for a friend and didn't get the supports right.  The whole mini printed as a puddle on the FEP.       I have only ever shown a few people this, a

Posted Images

Question Feb. 26th

The only time I hunt for vintage/oop miniatures is when I'm trying to find the ones I already own that I was "sure" were in that particular box there, not those 8 other boxes.......(Note, most of them were neither vintage nor OOP when I acquired them).

About the only OOP fig I would like to get a hold of is Platypod...at least I think that's the one I'm missing (I'm obviously not actually actively looking for it).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
On 2/25/2020 at 1:20 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question Feb. 25th.

When playing D&D, wargames or RPG's, do you like to use terrain like buildings, trees etc, or do you just play on a table and grids?

Haven't played a "real" rpg since I got into minis heavily. Just dungeon crawlers and skirmish games with rpg elements. I have nothing against simple grids but like having terrain especially for the wargames.

Question Feb. 26th

A little. I've been at it long enough there's not many left on my wish list. Cheap bugger that I am I try not to pay too much of a premium for those older minis. I hunt for bargains but don't find a lot in the stuff I'm after.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I try to, but with my games at the FLGS, that means hauling stuff up & back there. If something is important like a statue that I want to show off, I'll bump it up on the need meter (example the Mushroom Queen BBlack mini; I used her as a stand in for Zugtmoy statue in my last game). Minis I always try to get them close to what they are representing.

Not really, I mean if the fig is there & I know it's OOP or hard to get, I'll more then likely grab it (ex FLGS had a Nolzur Beholder recently for 7 bucks, I had one already but I still picked it up). Nothing really out there that is a Gotta have right now. I guess figs for my games (or game now, as I've cut back a bit on the Weds one).

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

About the only OOP fig I would like to get a hold of is Platypod...at least I think that's the one I'm missing (I'm obviously not actually actively looking for it).

Funny thing is I see Platy' all the time hanging on the Reaper Game Store's wall at ReaperCon (when I'm at the factory). If I remember I'll snag one for yah!!.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Feb. 26th

Not actively.  I have some nostalgia for the old lead figures, BOTOH, I still have a lot of them in original boxes, unpainted, too.  Buying more isn't going to get them painted or used faster, if ever.  But if something cool or interesting becomes available, I might buy it.  Not paying collector prices, though. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Feb. 26th

I used to spend a lot of time searching for Rackham Confrontation minis during the early years of hobbying. That was when there was still a pretty good surplus that could be harvested affordably since Rackham had only gone out of business a few years before. Nowadays, I don't really bother searching. I also got into the game too late to get any Ilyad miniatures.

Nowadays I try to search for minis from companies that have gone under in the past few years that I never got a chance to grab as they weren't really available here in the USA (some from the Norsgard line, and a really cool minotaur from some Russian company). Don't have much luck with that though, not unless I want to end up on a Homeland Security watchlist for receiving packages from Russia.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Feb. 26th

I have a lot of old small 25mm figures, so it wasn’t a stretch a few years ago to start searching for reinforcements.  I’ve been perhaps a little too successful. :rolleyes:  Mostly I have been adding to things that I already have, older Ral Partha, early Grenadier (pre-D&D license), Heritage before the LOTR movie, etc.  Most particularly, I have been painting Minifigs not-Tolkien Mythical Earth figures in quantities recently, and acquired some Rohirrim within the last few months.  However, I’m mostly filled out on that order of battle.  I’m still looking for some old Minifigs Sword and Sorcery range figures, and a few Minot Greek mythological monsters and heroes...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Feb. 26th

Actively? No. So I'm not on eBay hunting for something that will most certainly be overvalued.

But if I stumble upon something interesting in the thrift shop, flea market, or FLGS bargain bin, I may jump on the opportunity.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Feb. 26th

I definitely do, though not every single thing . And I'm frugal, so I need to find them at a good deal, particularly in regard to pieces that are now available as repops from places like Iron Winds, Mirliton, etc. I have an appreciation for the hunt. So when I can get a chance, I'm perusing bargain bins, flea markets, and going to auctions.

I'm in completionist mode for Dark Horse Robotech minis, Grenadier Dragon of the Month series, and Ral Partha 3 stages. I also specifically look out for other brands of old dragons and will occasionally pick up any old monsters that catch my eye. It's a nostalgia thing, for sure. But it's also a love of art history. I'm fascinated by the development of fantasy art through miniatures over the decades and part of my growing collection is a visual catalog of the progression of the art. That's why I like the old sculpts as much as the new sculpts.

Edited by Vacaroja
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Question Feb. 27th.

Do you have painting recipes?

Which ones? 

NOTE: I mean PAINT Recipes, as in, how do you paint wood, flesh,stone,etc. do you keep records of a mix?

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Feb. 27th.

Do you have painting recipes?

Which ones? 

Sure!

Chocolate Cake to eat while painting:

Ingredients:

• butter and flour for coating and dusting the cake pan
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter three 9-inch cake rounds. Dust with flour and tap out the excess.
  2. Mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a stand mixer using a low speed until combined.
  3. Add eggs, buttermilk, warm water, oil, and vanilla. Beat on a medium speed until smooth. This should take just a couple of minutes.
  4. Divide batter among the three pans. I found that it took just over 3 cups of the batter to divide it evenly.
  5. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
  6. Cool on wire racks for 15 minutes and then turn out the cakes onto the racks and allow to cool completely.
  7. Frost with your favorite frosting and enjoy!
Edited by Cicciopiu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12
15 minutes ago, Cicciopiu said:

Sure!

Chocolate Cake to eat while painting:

Ingredients:

• butter and flour for coating and dusting the cake pan
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter three 9-inch cake rounds. Dust with flour and tap out the excess.
  2. Mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a stand mixer using a low speed until combined.
  3. Add eggs, buttermilk, warm water, oil, and vanilla. Beat on a medium speed until smooth. This should take just a couple of minutes.
  4. Divide batter among the three pans. I found that it took just over 3 cups of the batter to divide it evenly.
  5. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
  6. Cool on wire racks for 15 minutes and then turn out the cakes onto the racks and allow to cool completely.
  7. Frost with your favorite frosting and enjoy!

This is yummie,

But I actually meant, what paint recipes do you use.::P:

Like for flesh/stone or wood???

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Haha 7

I do not believe in painting recipes. There are too many colors, if you follow a recipe you will sure do something different and the result will change.
I usually paint "on the fly" I'll always try to match a color using my taste and mixing what I own, if you follow recipes you'll end up with tons of unused paints.

anyway you may eat the cake while painting ;)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1