GETTING TO KNOW YOU FEBRUARY 2020 by GLITTERWOLF

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Weekend Question Feb 28th / March 1st.

Asides from brushes/Airbrushes, what else do you use to paint with?

( Sponges, skewers, pens, cloth, fingers?)

Show results!

I've used toothpicks in my very early days in the hobby when I only had access to old cheap synthetics brushes. With a hobby knife, I could whittle them down to obtain a very fine point that was perfect for eyes or other fine details. Depending on the situation, I can still use them.

After participating in @Ludo's hobby hijinx at ReaperCon allowed me to "experiment" with a wide variety of other tools (fingers, cotton swabs, etc.).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's been on my list since I joined! I bought the clear Kyphrixus during the KS because I wanted to make him into a night light. It was a natural step for me since many ambitious cosplayers have fun p

I think my best conversion is the bird man I did for a friend’s character. I took a GW demon bird guy, filled in his face and beak, gave him bird feet, added on a pair of reaper wings, and sculpted in

I was printing a Hero Forge mini for a friend and didn't get the supports right.  The whole mini printed as a puddle on the FEP.       I have only ever shown a few people this, a

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Show results!

And with this I will transfer the Questor Robes to @ManvsMini who will interrogate you during March.

Thank you all for your answers and participation, love this crowd!

I have some micron pens for things like pupils and writing on scrolls and such. And occasionally I'll use them to draw little tatoos. I use makeup brushes for dry brushing of all kinds. 

Thanks for the questions!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

It’s a poor substitute for the palette tool, but you should make yourself one of these:

B062C10C-BC01-43E6-BBC5-103AF5B37502.jpeg.b2c954c9e6706da23b3bf59d88fbb778.jpeg

It’s a bunch of old business cards, cut up, painted and numbered with a swatch of each color in my paint box.  This ring has all 50 of my Reaper HD colors — somewhere I have another with all the MSP triads I own, and I plan to make up another for my Vallejo paints, some rainy weekend.

No more guessing — you can always find the paint color you want, know exactly what it looks like when dry, and know that it’s in your collection.  And it’s portable!

(If you do make one, also paint the edge of each swatch card.  It makes finding a particular color easier.)

Anyone trying this sort of thing (and I agree that it would be useful, though I've never done it), might consider doing what artist's paint labels do: paint the swatch over a black and white striped substrate. The stripes allow you to see what the paint will look like over a darker surface and also show you the opacity immediately.

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I tried painting with just a brush or an airbrush, and nothing happened. Then I tried using paint, which improved my results noticeably. :B):

I've used a toothbrush for a splatter effect, which while it's technically a brush, seems different enough to fit into the sense of the question. And I've used foam for paint texturing on terrain. I've never found pens or skewers or whatever to work anywhere near as well as a brush with a good point.

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

And with this I will transfer the Questor Robes to @ManvsMini who will interrogate you during March.

Thank you for your thoughtful and interesting questions.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Anyone trying this sort of thing (and I agree that it would be useful, though I've never done it), might consider doing what artist's paint labels do: paint the swatch over a black and white striped substrate. The stripes allow you to see what the paint will look like over a darker surface and also show you the opacity immediately..

Good idea.  I’ll try it when I make a set for my Vallejo colors, and show the results when I finish

• Like 5
17 hours ago, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

It’s a poor substitute for the palette tool, but you should make yourself one of these:

B062C10C-BC01-43E6-BBC5-103AF5B37502.jpeg.b2c954c9e6706da23b3bf59d88fbb778.jpeg

It’s a bunch of old business cards, cut up, painted and numbered with a swatch of each color in my paint box.  This ring has all 50 of my Reaper HD colors — somewhere I have another with all the MSP triads I own, and I plan to make up another for my Vallejo paints, some rainy weekend.

No more guessing — you can always find the paint color you want, know exactly what it looks like when dry, and know that it’s in your collection.  And it’s portable!

(If you do make one, also paint the edge of each swatch card.  It makes finding a particular color easier.)

It's a cool idea, and I can see its uses.   What I used the power palette for was to pull colors out of inspiration images, because the eye and the brain don't always agree on what they see.   It was particularly good for skin and fur.   Anyway.... not expecting it back until after the wishlist is done, and parts shopping becomes available in the store again. 

13 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Show results!

Whatever will get the job done.  Most of the time a brush works, but I've used pins, toothpicks, tissue, Sharpies, toothbrushes and cotton swabs. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 2/28/2020 at 2:34 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Thank you very much, as I don these robes, I accept the honor of being this month's interrogator.

<shakes off the robes, beats them with a stick to remove all the glitter... and yet some still remains>

• Haha 11
On 2/10/2020 at 3:10 PM, Morihalda said:
On 2/10/2020 at 1:40 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question Feb. 10th.

Aside from the 25/28 mm Scale, do you like to paint minis/models in other scales?

Which ones?

I've definitely fallen for busts and the other larger scales, but I still love the normal scales for D&D characters!

About ten days after this question I picked up an actual bust: Rollo the Dane. He is still in the box though.

• Like 5