Sign in to follow this  
Glitterwolf

GETTING TO KNOW YOU FEBRUARY 2020 by GLITTERWOLF

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Feb. 4th.

Do you use a powertool ( like a dremel for example) for the hobby?

I have:

1) Cheap Dremel equivalent: hardly gets used, causes my hands to feel like they are vibrating for hours after I stop using it.

2) Hot glue gun: my preferred method of attaching minis to painting handles

3) Hand-held hot-wire foam cutter wand: haven't used it in years, tried to use it on some black chemical resistant foam for a work project, left the wire coated in black foam (I had a fumehood at work to use). Kind of worried about using it and poisoning myself. Need to get a replacement wire.

4) Hair dryer: for when you absolutely have to get something to dry fast

5) Electric toothbrush: for cleaning primer off stripped minis

6) Ultrasonic cleaner: for when the electric toothbrush simply won't do. And to help break up pigment that has settled at the bottom of the paint bottle.

Guess I had more than I thought. I am also contemplating adding a hot-wire foam cutting table to the mix. Provided Amazon doesn't jack the price up another $10 between the days that I found it and yesterday. Robbery I say...

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Feb. 4th.

I have a small variety of woodworking tools along with some smaller power tools I use for the "hobby". Small table saw and band saw, router, home made hot wire cutter, hand held hot wire cutter, knock off dremel, electric drill and probably others I'm forgetting. Very useful when making terrain but the dremel is probably the only one that gets used on the minis themselves and it not that much. 

• Like 10

Question Feb. 4th.

Occasionally.

I managed to find a hobby rotary tool in the jewelry making section (a surprising amount of useful accessories there) of a Michaels. I use it to remove mold lines on larger pieces of Bones and such. The tool itself is much smaller and lighter than a Dremel so is much more convenient for the hobby. I can manage good control on it, and with the right tip, I can sculpt and smooth the surface so it looks natural instead of the angular flat cut of a hobby knife.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Question Feb. 4th.

• Radial Arm Saw for cutting bases to size. Kind of overkill, but it does work precisely and quickly.
  • Bandsaw for cutting foam. This was a tool I used to have at work (I don't have one at home) and I haven't used one since. I strongly prefer it to a hot-wire foam cutter.
  • Bench Grinder for cleaning the bottoms of the bases of metal minis and roughing up the surface of metal bases (washers, for instance) to take putty better and taking off burrs.
  • Airbrushes

Probably other stuff as well, but that's what I can think of now.

I have a Dremel, but I don't find it very useful. The very high minimum speed makes it difficult to control for the things I want to do. If I decide to do more terrain/buildings, I suspect it will see more use.

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Does anybody make dungeon maps (of 5x5 foot squares)  deliberately in pieces?  So you can place the dungeon out one room at a time?

I haven't seen that. Since each structure would require different rooms, each such prebuilt room would be extremely specific. But the D&D Dungeon Tiles and Pathfinder Flip Tiles can be pretty useful. And you can always blue tack them down to foamcore or cardstock ahead of a game to increase speed of deployment.

• Like 11

Question Feb. 4th.

I barely use power tools for shop work :D I enjoy using hand tools. I've even bought a couple special planes like a rabbet plane, very satisfying to use. Though I should probably get a dremel at some point, just for general handiness, and for the slab of resin base I've been filing away at on my desk for 3 years now...

After 20 years in IT (and 45 using computers), I minimize anything that needs to be powered. That's why I work in charcoal and oil paints, not digital (the luxury of being a hobbyist!).

• Like 10

16 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

The one on the right would be Mulan. I don't know who .. or what .. the young lady on the left is aiming for, though. o.O

16 hours ago, TGP said:

My guess is the one on the left is Mary Jane Smith wearing a Mulan dress. 

She is still herself, just wearing the outfit. Hence the difference and the point. 

Let's not get judgmental.  Not everyone has the same skills or resources.  Someone dressed like the outfit on the left feels like they are cosplaying just as much as the one on the right.  It may be their first costume. It may be the result of 5 years of work.  In either case, like someone showing off the mini they just painted, it should be met with appreciation for their effort and participation, and encouragement to continue. 

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Feb. 4th.

Is a 3d printer a power tool? Paint shaker? 

I have used a Dremel, but prefer more delicate hand tools for most applications.   I'm sure there are others I can't remember.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

Question Feb. 4th.

I just recently bought a cordless Dremel for the hobby room, as I found it annoying having to take my corded one back and forth to the garage.  It's still in the box what with moving.

I have a battery powered foam cutter.  If I get into more terrain building I might need to upgrade that.

I have a nice hot glue gun I still haven't used even though I'm sure I bought it for a particular purpose...

Heat gun and blow dryer.

Compressor and airbrushes.

3D printer if that applies....

I think that is it for stuff IN the paint room.

I've also used my table saw, compound miter saw, scroll saw, drill press, jigsaw, belt sander, bench grinder, angle grinder and power drills that I can think of, mostly for terrain or diorama building.  I have a combo belt/disc sander I inherited from my father-in-law that would likely be handy, once I see if it works.

I've yet to learn to use my router, so it hasn't been used yet.  I got a oscillating multitool for Christmas I haven't tried out. And I still need to get a band saw at some point.

I like tools....::D:

• Like 12

Question Feb. 4th.

I have the Dremel and a foam cutter, but use them infrequently at best.

Air compressor and airbrush.

Vortex mixer.  That is the power tool that gets used multiple times every session.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Question Feb. 4th.

Currently, I have a hot glue gun and a hot knife for working with foam. I have in the past used a dremel, jig saw, power drill, table saw, and a heat gun. 

• Like 10

Question Feb. 4th.

Yes on the Dremel, but rarely for this hobby. My work area for my hobbies includes, airbrush and compressor, table saw, drill press, router, shop lights, heavy workbenches, reloading bench. NOT looking forward to moving all this stuff in a year and a half!

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question Feb. 4th.

Dremel. And a cordless drill when I want more control. The drill is bigger, but the speed is more controllable.

I need a reason to use my blowtorch.

• Like 10

Question Feb. 4th.

I used to use a Dremel, then realized it was overkill for 99% of what I was trying to do.  I do use an air compressor for my airbrush.  Cut my own bases, tokens, dice, buildings, whatever else I need on a laser cutter.

• Like 10

Question Feb. 4th.

Oh, yes!  Let’s see, I have:

• 3 Dremel tools  - Two fixed speed, one variable speed.  Drill press and router table attachments for them.
  • 3 airbrush compressors -  Two old artists compressors that overheat quickly, and one lightweight general use compressor with an air tank.
  • 1 ancient scroll saw - for cutting custom bases for larger figures, and for terrain pieces.
  • 1 Black & Decker Mouse detail sander - for sanding down said cut bases.
  • 1 each 40-watt and 60-watt soldering irons.
  • 1 Tamiya Handy Drill (battery-powered) for low-speed plastic drilling/grinding.  (My favorite!)
  • 2 converted electric toothbrushes (battery powered) - for sanding, and saving my wrists.

There are probably more that I’m forgetting...

EDIT:  There were!

• Blowdryer, for speed-drying paint jobs.
  • Home-built exhaust fan, for use while airbrushing.
  • And the biggest and most recent, a powered sit/stand work table.
Edited by Grumpy Cave Bear
Forgetfulness
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, Inarah said:
21 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

The one on the right would be Mulan. I don't know who .. or what .. the young lady on the left is aiming for, though. o.O

20 hours ago, TGP said:

My guess is the one on the left is Mary Jane Smith wearing a Mulan dress. 

She is still herself, just wearing the outfit. Hence the difference and the point. 

Let's not get judgmental.  Not everyone has the same skills or resources.  Someone dressed like the outfit on the left feels like they are cosplaying just as much as the one on the right.  It may be their first costume. It may be the result of 5 years of work.  In either case, like someone showing off the mini they just painted, it should be met with appreciation for their effort and participation, and encouragement to continue. 

Given that the two outfits are nowhere near alike, it's less judgement and more an honest 'I don't know what she is aiming for'. The dress is cute, and she looks cute in it. She just doesn't look like she's cosplaying; more like she's modeling a dress based off of the cosplay.

There are some other things about that dress that bother me, but... that's a very different conversation. :/

Um. Power tools. Own a Dremel, don't really use it for hobbying. But.. it's there, if I need it. ^^;

• Like 8