Sign in to follow this  
turbocooler

Question from discussion on Miniature Monday's Feed -- Painting Environment

From the last few episodes of Miniature Monday Twitch Feed there has been discussion about a proper painting environment.   This was in regards not just to lighting and a workspace but also temperature and humidity.  While there was a general discussion over the last few episodes and many people asking in the comments, it does not seem that any answer was really given.

Temperature and humidity affect paint flow and drying time, what is the optimal temperature and humidity for a painting space.  Doing some internet searches I found the general consensus of "The ideal humidity level for painting is between 40% and 50%" but this is for painting your home.  Is there an optimal range for miniature paints?

I have been painting models and minis for roughly 50 years and the only time I have seen problems in drying were when doing outside priming when the temps and/or humidity were WAY outside of what normal "comfort" levels would be. You can get good results even in colder temps by keeping the paint and mini indoors, going out, spraying quickly and bringing back indoors immediately to dry.

Are you in a comfortable environment?  Then the temp/humidity are fine.

I've painted in 65F and 100F.  I've painted in the low humidity of Colorado and the supersaturated atmosphere of Dallas.  It doesn't matter.

I've primed models when it was winter outside, and I've primed models when it was raining outside.  As long as the sky-water doesn't get on the model, it didn't matter.

• Like 3

The ideal humidity depends on what you’re doing.  For example, if you use layering, a lower humidity is nice because the paint will dry faster.  However, if you’re using two brush blending, you want a higher humidity so you have more time to work with the paint before it dries.

The ideal temperature is whatever you’re comfortable with, as long as it’s above the freezing point of water (0 C, 32 F).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

The ideal humidity depends on what you’re doing.  For example, if you use layering, a lower humidity is nice because the paint will dry faster.  However, if you’re using two brush blending, you want a higher humidity so you have more time to work with the paint before it dries.

The ideal temperature is whatever you’re comfortable with, as long as it’s above the freezing point of water (0 C, 32 F).

While I partly understand you answer, just above freezing does not work.   I recently ordered some paints from reaper to be deliver in the Northeast.   Temps in the low 30s the day it arrived and probably in its travels.  The paint was like the consistency of glue until they made it to room temperature -- you could also see color separation.  I dropped in a mixing ball and shook up the paints for a few minutes to get them back to usable condition.  I do not have A/C as my home was built as part of a G.I. housing program in the early 50s (after WWII).  It gets hot and sticky and the paint and sometimes the primer takes over 24hrs to dry so I sometimes use a fan.    So, there is obviously someplace in between that works.

I did some other digging and reading and even found a video in Spanish by Vallejo where they even stated between 40-50 RH and 18-24C as the optimal range -- I just need to add some more insulation in the room as well as better room only heating/cooling solution.  

7 hours ago, turbocooler said:

I do not have A/C as my home was built as part of a G.I. housing program in the early 50s (after WWII).  It gets hot and sticky and the paint and sometimes the primer takes over 24hrs to dry so I sometimes use a fan...

My guess is a wet palette would work amazingly well in your local environment. 

If you don’t mind my asking: Florida?