Mini storage and new painting area

Sarducci

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the original post on FB.

THIS IS WHAT I WANT AND DREAM OF FOR STORAGE!

And the best thing is that it's accessible and doable by just about everyone who has access to an IKEA. It's dust proof enough *and* cat proof (assuming you keep the doors shut).

I love how the cookie trays are such an elegant simple solution. An even better reason to magnetize the bottom of your minis.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

I love how the cookie trays are such an elegant simple solution. An even better reason to magnetize the bottom of your minis.

I would imagine a spray can of flat black paint would help those cookie trays blend into the shelving.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Someone mentioned flat sheet metal might look better. I was already exhausted with the customization though, and was worried about sharp edges. The cookie sheets weren't the cheapest solution, all told they cost me as much as one of the nice cabinets.

The two cabinets on the right are HEMNES glass doors with 6-8 extra shelves made out of 12" common pine board sprayed black.  I had to add additional shelf hardware, and in some places drill extra holes for the pins.

The one on the left is a BILLY with the glass door add ons, that space didn't quite fit three of the nicer solid wood HEMNES cabinets. Billys are taller, narrower and shallower, 10" common board was used for the shelves there.  They have way more pre drilled holes so were easier to mod, but they are the ikea particle board, so not quite as nice/durable.

The cookie sheets came from amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CBSYJG6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  I got a mix of the 10 x 8, 12 x 9, and 16 x 12 trays, cheaper options may exist at kitchen supply stores, I should have investigated this more as the cost for this part of the project ran higher than expected. 

EDIT:  Also important, the shelving cabinets are all attached to wall studs via angle brackets, two per unit.  Serious tip risk.

Edited by Sarducci
Additional info
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tiny human hands? I am actually in a constant battle against little cat paws. My little Mushroom jumps up on my desk to first drink the paint water, then decides she wants to see how each paint bottle and model looks flying off the desk. Yours looks like mine after I caught her in the act of swatting my brushes to the floor.

• Like 2