Sign in to follow this  
Rigel

Nolzur's Grungs & Grenadier Marsh Dragon

I love it!

Poisoned dart frogs are my favorite little frogs, I had a few as pets when I was younger.

The Grenadier Dragon brings back memories, I love the older minis.

As for that thing on it's back, maybe it's a ribcage of some sort of monster he defeated.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wonderful foggies! And that dragon is perfect - like the idea of adding a rider. Nice, bright, tropical colors. The patterns are really nice - we you using a reference photo - look very natural.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those are great. I can just feel the despair the PCs emit when they come across the big guy. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, everyone! 

On 2/5/2020 at 4:09 PM, Cyradis said:

Yay froggies!!

On 2/3/2020 at 9:52 PM, AutumnHare said:

Love the froggies!  Amazingly cute.

Agreed--there's something endearing about those boggle eyes and gormless grins. Hooray frogs!

On 2/5/2020 at 4:06 PM, Warlady said:

Super job on the patterning!

On 2/3/2020 at 3:46 PM, Lostraven said:

Very cool and colourful!

On 2/3/2020 at 8:41 AM, Iridil said:

Wonderful foggies! And that dragon is perfect - like the idea of adding a rider. Nice, bright, tropical colors. The patterns are really nice - we you using a reference photo - look very natural.

Thank you! Yes, definitely referred to several photos. There was no end of inspirational pictures to choose from. And I'm convinced now--YES I'll get more frogs!  The rider will happen! 

On 2/3/2020 at 11:47 AM, Inarah said:

Those are great. I can just feel the despair the PCs emit when they come across the big guy. 

Ha! Yes, it's definitely an "Oh broccoli, what NOW?!" moment. :lol:

On 2/3/2020 at 1:01 AM, Glitterwolf said:

I love it!

Poisoned dart frogs are my favorite little frogs, I had a few as pets when I was younger.

The Grenadier Dragon brings back memories, I love the older minis.

Ooo, lucky! They are adorable little beasties, and apparently nonpoisonous after a while with a diet of milder prey.
Yes, there's something about the old sculpts. It's dynamic and extremely well-detailed and boldly goofy and I love it! 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Citrine
      This Grenadier Hydra (SKU 124) has been languishing on my painting table for a really long time (maybe 30 years), so I decided it was time to finish it once and for all.  I wanted it to have a similar color scheme to the Grenadier Hydra Dragon (SKU 9911) I painted 30+ years ago, in one weekend (to get it ready for the game on Sunday afternoon).
      It is a true oldie, with a bunch of that old mini charm, but it has a serious lean.  I didn't realize how bad it actually was until I glued it together after painting.

• By Rigel
      This was an excellent opportunity to practice some effects for marble.  Also, a tip for anyone else working on this mini: if you have a dental tool or other means of prying, the water comes right out. I painted shiny metallic fish on the undersurface of the water and their shadows on the fountain. The wash on the water kind of obscures it though; next time maybe I'll put the blue-green tint on the fountain's bowl itself and leave the water clear. 
      AP Bright Gold, some Reaper sample blue-green, and some Nihilakh Oxide got the statue taken care of. A Reaper sample of almost-flesh-tone-pink was the basis for the marble. Then some subtle streaks of a gray-blue and a white, each mixed with the pale pink, glazed with a touch of pinked-up Apothecary White finished the stonework off. This looks pretty fresh; there's plenty of room for weathering later. 

The upper basin on mine was warped a bit, but the tentacle bas-relief is worth the price of admission.

Click for full turnaround: 

Click for some in-progress pics:  

But let's see it in action! This looks like a late-Renaissance or Classical project for a Western Mediterranean port town, now probably relying more on tourism than shipping and fishing. Picked up some more useful backdrop paper from my local hobby store (not my preferred one, but they have more things). 

I've posted all of the human minis before, except for Antediluvian Miniatures's Professor Cushing (the gaunt fellow with the umbrella and monocle). He's a marvelous sculpt, very directly lifted from "At Earth's Core!" The sort of character who would appreciate all the aesthetic features of this fountain, and probably investigate its history until he uncovered the terrible maritime cult it celebrates. 

Oh, yes, and I also got another public-utility structure, this one considerably quicker to paint up. 

No, not a stage. Pan back:

Click for turnaround of Madame la Guillotine: 

• By Rigel
      It was getting along for sundown when the turtle moseyed into town.

(click for turnaround)

Now, round these parts, we don't ask questions about a man's past. But every man's got a past, and sometimes the past got a long shadow. 

(Special guest appearances by Bombshell's Raferu-san and some modified Troglodytes.) 

I will glue a grommet top hat to anything, anything. 
      Something about the poncho made me think of old Spaghetti westerns, and things snowballed from there. 
      Hope you enjoy!
    • By Nightwing
      Here is the Druid from the Grenadier Wizards box set, this one sans dart. Very simple garb on this guy. 

I don’t know what to think of this guy. He looks very 1st-level, compared to the Druid with Dart. His sword doesn't even have a cross-guard. How anyone can sword fight in those Smurf-like robes escapes me as well. I think this guy has a lot to learn. 

• By Nightwing
      This is the Druid with Dart from the Grenadier Wizards box set. The mini originally had a tiny little limp carrot-looking dart in his hand, which i always hated. I took the liberty of replacing it with something a bit more substantial. 

My daughter came up with the entire color scheme. I sometimes ask her to pick out the colors when i have no idea what to do. 

I don't know what the little critter perched on his staff is. Maybe some kind of little lizard friend? Or maybe just something carved on the staff?  Oh well. 

• Who's Online   24 Members, 2 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)