Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
After spending a lot of time working on speed paint tabletop minis, I decided to switch it up and try to do as good of a paint job as i can on a few of my pewter minis.
03253 sabertooth cat
Andowyn Thrushmoor, Bonehenge Iconic from RCon 2016Crimson Herald, Disciple of C'thun from RCon 2016
Dodo from Bombshell Miniatures
Ram from Bombshell miniatures (no picture yet)
14080: Guardian Angel, Crusaders Solo
enjoy the poor cell phone pictures of the three i have pictures of
Once upon a time at PAX, when Bones were still new I asked about having miniatures come in separate pieces as that would make them easier to paint, but the answer I got was they wanted the consumer to be able to take it straight out of the package and onto the playmat. Which, fair enough, that made sense, and it's not like it was that hard to get around. I've been sitting on a pile of KS miniatures from the first two Kickstarters (as well as impulse buying a few other Bones along the way), but having taken a look at them it seemed like they weren't gonna be an issue to paint years later when I finally got around to that.
That is until today (er, yesterday now...). Last night I went to the FLGS (one of many in my area) 'cause they were having an everything sale, and I impulse bought
Seltyiel after making sure I didn't already get him in a Kickstarter. I did not, and I couldn't resist buying an entirely new miniature at $1.25, so I got him. Then when I finally opened him I noticed his arm was attached in a way that made it so his sword was basically pushing up against his leg, and I'd have to bend his arm everytime I needed to paint his leg or sword. I felt a little annoyed (though slightly vindicated), and thought I needed to fix this before I even wash him.
I thought maybe I could chop off his arm and glue it back on later, but I also thought in the 3-4 years that Bones have been out someone else would have had this issue. Unfortunately I'm not even sure how to search this one, so I made my own thread instead. What I did find is someone saying that boiling the miniature would undo the glue, but I also read in one of the sticky threads that the glue is basically superglue, and I'm a little skeptical that the bond would become undone just 'cause I put it in boiling water. SO I guess I'm asking if there's a way to separate glued pieces for the sake of making painting easier. Or am I gonna have to chop off poor Seltyiel's arm off and hope I can get it back on in a good position?
A while back Joe Kutz posted a reply to a thread about holding the miniature while painting that included a link to a cool tool.
I have "add to my Amazon wishlist" for Firefox ready for any cool things I find on here or elsewhere. This was a no brainer. I usually store things in there for review later. Upon review I decided I liked it even better for the job.
Well, last week was my birthday and lo the Universal Parts Holder was delivered unto me.
This thing is super cool. The pins can hold anything. I seriously played with it the entire night while playing Talisman. I locked in Talisman figures, dice, cards, etc. The next day I tried it out on my shale based minis. The irregular shapes were locked in nice and tight.
The grip is comfortable and sticks out from under my fist just enough to set it firmly on a desk/tabletop if I need an extra steady moment. You can unscrew the handle and put the jig assembly into a vise for cutting, air brushing, etc. I suggest taping off the other holes to prevent filling them.
It's worth the $20 Amazon calls for. The original site that Joe posted about is Widget Supply and they have a slightly different tool for a bit cheaper ($13).
I also got a tube of Kneadatite's Green Stuff. Woot!
I'll post a few pics with various sized miniatures held in it with various styles of bases later.
Who's Online 22 Members, 2 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)