Sign in to follow this  
Disciple of Sakura

Bones 4 Giant King Cobra

Wow!  That's freaking awesome!  Love the work with the LEDs and the eyes.  Way to go the extra mile (or kilometer if that works better for you).  :winkthumbs:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is amazing. I'm having visions Conan the Barbarian seeing this, and of this being done for a statue like in "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom."

Would you say the torch work you did is a decent beginner project for someone who would want to try using LEDs? I've seen tutorials on youtube for making torches out of tea lights and LEDs, but to me they don't hide the battery very well; makes them look bulky. I like how everything is well-planned and hidden in your piece.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is an awesome figure!  I love how the artwork fits the story of your campaign too.

Well done.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

This is amazing. I'm having visions Conan the Barbarian seeing this, and of this being done for a statue like in "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom."

Would you say the torch work you did is a decent beginner project for someone who would want to try using LEDs? I've seen tutorials on youtube for making torches out of tea lights and LEDs, but to me they don't hide the battery very well; makes them look bulky. I like how everything is well-planned and hidden in your piece.

I don't consider myself a pro, but I have messed with LEDs a couple of times now. I found these LED light strings online - they're like 7' long with the battery pack attached and several LED lights running along the string. I found that pretty easy to work into it, though you've gotta be careful using a power drill on Bonesium. The trickiest parts of this for me was finding an appropriate brazier piece, and doing the cutting. It helps that the base is hollow underneath, so there's plenty of room to mount the battery pack.

Oh, and after gluing the snake to the base, I was concerned about overall it staying on, so I drilled some holes through the base into the snake and then screwed in some actual screws to help hold it.

Edited by Disciple of Sakura
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I found these LED light strings online - they're like 7' long with the battery pack attached and several LED lights running along the string.

This might sound crazy, but are you telling me that there are 7 feet of LEDs in that thing? (Obviously not all in the braziers, but coiled/hidden in the base?) Or were you able to cut and splice/solder the length of lights you needed?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

This might sound crazy, but are you telling me that there are 7 feet of LEDs in that thing? (Obviously not all in the braziers, but coiled/hidden in the base?) Or were you able to cut and splice/solder the length of lights you needed?

I might be remembering the length wrong, but yep, it's coiled around the three screws coming from the bottom, and then held in place and and covered up with duct tape to keep it from glowing out from the bottom.

Edit: It's really thin wire, with very small LED bulbs. I've fit all the wires from one into a 3" diameter base before, wound around in circles and stuffed in there...

Edited by Disciple of Sakura
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is really impressive. The lights are great, but what I really like is the simple design on the cobra's hood, painted using individual scales.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this