Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
or as those Texans keep spelling it, "Griffon". (Texans are lovely people, I wouldn't dream of antagonizing them over their simpleton spelling. These folks have guns. I mean, not even the more common "Griffin"...)
I went with the African Bateleur Eagle, as it has a striking black, white and red colouration with large creamy panels on the top of the wings. The back bit is just a generic big cat, with reddish brown hairy bits to balance all the red on the front.
This model is made in regular 3rd generation Bones plastic. Which in spite of being much more rigid than earlier Bonesium, is not nearly strong enough to hold any weight in awkward positions over time. If one of its front talons had been sculpted touching the base in some way, this would probably not have been a problem. As it was the talon was involuntarily touching the rim of the base anyway together with the wingtip dragging along the ground. This was discovered and fixed some time ago, and I forgot to take any pictures of the listin' gryphon.
Anyway, since it drooped quite a bit after just standing around on the shelf, it was nessecary to brace it. I did this by drilling up into the leg and inserting a 1mm diameter metal rod (I used a part of a paperclip for this) to make it stand up properly and discourage further drooping. The pin goes up into the hip or so from beneath the base. This fix has now held in the several months since I fixed it.
A long time being exposed to the enormous monsters from Warhammer has skewed my size perception. For some reason I have been thinking about this gryphon as "the small one".
Drybrushed from a black undercoat. Yeah, it is a bit rough in places, but perfectly serviceable.
#82 The "Griffon"
Bones 4 Core set, 2019
Made in Bonesium PVC
should be available from reapermini.com some time in the future in Bones.
Here is my take on the Nagendra figs from Bones 4. I will be using them as Yuan-Ti at my table in an upcoming adventure for my home game.
I have seen a few different submissions of other folks' nagas and took inspiration from the ones that took advantage of a variety of colors. Just seemed more interesting to me in that it told a bit more of "the story." I have been challenging myself to be more patient, and to try not to rush. These guys were a good exercise since I painted each of the scales I could reach with a brush individually. It seemed daunting at first, but settling in, knuckling down and taking my time was a pretty enjoyable experience. Plus, I am very happy with the results!
This project was also my first experience using sculpt-a-mold as a medium to give the bases the look of a worked stone. Was shooting for a sandstone desert temple. I got close enough for my first go, I think. I really like this stuff, and it was a lot of fun to experiment with.
Who's Online 25 Members, 2 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)