Sign in to follow this  
stormbreach

Bathalian 77020 and Mind Eater 77229

Good work on the coat. You achieved a good amount of contrast overall and the colour scheme works, too.

I suggest to use a final matte varnish to get rid of the gloss.

Another area you can work on are the blends between colours. It is a never ending challenge for me, too, to get them smooth. Vallejo Glaze medium works wonders, if you didn't try it yet. Given the colour becomes more transparent you can also work with less layers and can go from dark to bright in a few steps (intermediary colours can be mixed on the wet palette). 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Peithetairos said:

Good work on the coat. You achieved a good amount of contrast overall and the colour scheme works, too.

I suggest to use a final matte varnish to get rid of the gloss.

Another area you can work on are the blends between colours. It is a never ending challenge for me, too, to get them smooth. Vallejo Glaze medium works wonders, if you didn't try it yet. Given the colour becomes more transparent you can also work with less layers and can go from dark to bright in a few steps (intermediary colours can be mixed on the wet palette). 

Thank you for the comments!  I was worried about the contrast because I kept thinking I couldn't see the highlights on the cloak.  I kept adding more yellow to the green I was using and it kept drying darker than it was when I applied it so I was getting frustrated.  And yes I should hit it with some matte varnish.  I considered that step and then got impatient and posted him.  At least on the mind eater the glossy parts were intentional.

I have some Vallejo Glazing Medium but on this mini I was trying out the Liquitex.  I am consciously trying to work on glazing because I would like to use it on a mini I have had sitting half finished for a very long time.  On the folds on the front of his robe I made the transitions too sharp so I hit it with a glaze of my base tone.  This worked because it brought the shadows up a little and the highlights down a little to make it less sharp.  After this I was too scared to try and work on them further.  On his head the purple was just thinned paint but the hints of magenta were glazed.  Then after all this glazing it ended up having a bit of a shine so now I have to hit it with some matte when I'm not feeling too lazy.  Thanks for the advice Peithairos!.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By spitfire23bc
      'Tis the season! I posted this a while ago before is got paint on him. Santac'Laus has featured in the Christmas one-shot games I've run for the last couple of years (and this year is no exception). He's gone from villain to lovable (but weird) friend, who rides a manta-ray-shaped sleigh, pulled by a team of beholders. 

If you're one of my players, please don't read the spoiler!

The hat, sack and present were all made with green stuff. The snow was made with snow powder mixed with water effects. 

• By Kev!
      Howdy,

Zombies are not the only ones coveting your brains...

Donate YOURS today,
      Kev!
      P.S. Click to zoom
    • By Pezler the Polychromatic
      Gadzooks!!!! I'm actually painting something again. Here's the bad boy I've chosen this time around:

I actually have a colour scheme in mind after researching other people's work on this one, and have adjusted it according to my own whims.

A quick slather of Reaper Brown Liner as a primer.

And here we have a couple of layers of P3 Sanguine Highlight to bring some proper base colour, might put have to touch up a couple spots. After this: drybrushing!
    • By Pezler the Polychromatic
      Where My Mind Wanders (thanks to knarthex for the title inspiration):

WIP here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/72333-hey-somebody-get-after-that-brain-77027-reaper-mind-eater-wip/

This was actually fun to work on, I learned a lot from doing it (highlighting was not one of those things). I was going to leave it as is, but Guindyloo suggested that I put roller skates on him. As awesome of an idea as that is, that requires Green Stuff (which I have) and skill using Green Stuff (which I don't have), but it did put it in my head that the Mind Eater should be doing something dynamic instead of just standing there. Since it's larger than what an intellect devourer is and won't be used as a tabletop figure, I decided to use a larger base to give myself more room to play. I learned that I have some pretty light brush control when I put my mind to it, and got some xenomorphic help with learning how to do feathering for the legs.

So here you have the Mind Eater running like a deer in the woods, without a care in the world! I wanted to put in some whimsy into the piece, since it gives a contrast to the horrific aberration that the figure is supposed to be. Hope you enjoy!
    • By kristof65
      Some of you have probably seen my Tycho AFV for my Nova Corp figures, and the Rottweiler Grav Tank I'm working on for my IMEF figures.  They've been quite fun to create. And now I've been going through my collection of other Reaper Chronoscope figures, and I've realized I've got a few other groups of figures that I could make similar sized units from. If I do that, it would be only fair if I gave them each a vehicle.

Since it will be a little bit before I actually get around to any of these, I thought I would ask you all what sort of look you would envision for vehicles for these various factions:

Cyber-Reavers - Given the Terminator vibe of these minis, I'm thinking something along the lines of the Hunter Killer flying craft from the movies. 

Kulathi - ???

Bathalians -  ???

Blackstar Corsairs - ???. I'm thinking maybe some sort of drop pod or drop ship for them? Or maybe just a bigger walker? 

The Gray Aliens already have a flying saucer, so they're good. 

That's what I have in my collection already (mostly thanks to 3 Bones Kickstarters).  But I went ahead and browsed through the Chronoscope line in the store, and while I don't really see any other groups of minis that are big enough to make complete units, there are a few that were inspiring, should additional minis for them come along:

Illyrians (2 minis) - ??? 

Blood Nebula Mercenary (1 mini) - ???

Alien Overlords (3 minis) - ???

Sligg (3 minis) - ???

There are also enough sci-fi hero types, such as Kirby McDowell Space Privateer and Bonnie Futuristic Heroine, to assemble mercenary like unit. They'll need a vehicle too. 

So let's see your thoughts and ideas. 

• Who's Online   22 Members, 2 Anonymous, 26 Guests (See full list)