Sign in to follow this  
Smokestack

Patience and age

So, I had sworn off buying minis from a certain company. Not that they are hard to assemble or even that the final results don’t look good. Just overall the quality vs the amount of work to make them look good is not worth it to me. Well, I got a warband set for my birthday from a friend. The minis looked good on the box cover, and they were a gift so, why not. 

Anyway. Started to assemble, and they are just as bad as I remember. Gaps, poor fits, mold lines... blobby details, etc... I got 5 in out of the 15 in the box and thought, why am I bothering with this? So just chucked the whole box. Young me would have stuck with it (and I can look at my shelf and see several examples of that) but older me just doesn’t have the patience for that... 

I was wondering if others have done this too? I won’t mention the company or the minis as I am sure there are those who like them and probably have made them look beautiful... are some models just not worth the effort to you? Do you try and sell them or to you toss them? 

• Like 10
  • Confused 2

They sit in a box (or several boxes) in the off chance that I find a need for something.  Either a project that they would be perfect for, to cannibalize for bits, or to give away to someone.

• Like 12

It depends, I don't mind prepping and assembling as long as it works.

Flimsy bits that won't stay glued after several tries can put me off.

• Like 7

I got some really nice figures from a KS last year and was disappointed to find they come in an unnecessary number of pieces.  I think I got one assembled before putting the rest back in the box.  I may one day have the energy and drive to complete them.   Another box from another KS didn't even get that far once I saw the flash and mold lines that would need cleaning.  It's packed away, too.

No, you're not the only one looking at time and effort involved in enjoying your hobby.  Figuring whether it's 'worth it' is going to be an individual thing. 

• Like 10

If something is as bad as you say, I'll usually contact the company to see if they can get me a replacement. If that fails, then I'll eBay it or use them as base decoration for better, worthy minis. Life is too short to waste it on painting bad minis. 

• Like 8

If they are something I really really want to build or paint, I'll persist.

Otherwise, if I get frustrated they go back in the box. And that box usually goes in another box, which goes in the closet.

I probably should get rid of some of that, but I'm not good at that part. :poke:

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

A hobby is supposed to give you pleasure and a way to unwind and relax. Things that cause stress and aggravation? They take the joy out of it. "If you're not having fun, you're playing the wrong game."

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I don't know if it's just age. I've had a few minis with bad mold lines, teeny bits, or seriously imperfect resin that I have taken one look at and then put aside to put into the Box of Goodwill. Assembly is one of my weak points, and if it's just going to become a broken mess I don't see the point in stressing myself out over it.  It's better that someone who enjoys that aspect of the hobby gets them instead.

• Like 8

The short answer is “yes”, I do abandon things that are more trouble than they are worth. I do have access to flea market sales somewhat regularly, so that’s an option. Sticking things in a Box of Good Will is an option I use for things that are nice but turn out to be too fussy for me (Darksword Miniatures, for example, are beautiful, but there is no way I am getting a tiny hand pinned/glued to a slender wrist...). If it’s metal and ugly is the problem, I cut my losses by melting them down while casting. 

The whole category of hard plastic assembly figures is in my “too fussy” list, but it’s generally easy to avoid them in the first place. 

• Like 7

I've come pretty close to test flying a miniature or two across the room, but I've never actually given up on any.  It has more to do with the figs in question being commissions than any saint-like patience on my part.  In those cases, my only choice was to walk away for a bit and then come back and try again once I've cooled off.  The craptastic GF9 D&D figs were probably the worst for me with the resin collapsing under it's own weight or if you (literally) breathed on in the wrong way.

The Egg

• Like 8

I tend to give away things that I know I won't get to before THE END or that I know I won't enjoy doing.

Life is far too short to waste it doing something you dislike or that doesn't provide you sustenance.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

I got some really nice figures from a KS last year and was disappointed to find they come in an unnecessary number of pieces.  I think I got one assembled before putting the rest back in the box.  I may one day have the energy and drive to complete them.   Another box from another KS didn't even get that far once I saw the flash and mold lines that would need cleaning.  It's packed away, too.

No, you're not the only one looking at time and effort involved in enjoying your hobby.  Figuring whether it's 'worth it' is going to be an individual thing. 

Yeah. I backed a Kickstarter that had a lot of tiny resin pieces. The head on one was 4 pieces.... those were expensive though so I did end up selling them on eBay. I figured that was more bring outside of my skill level than actually being bad models. 

3 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

The whole category of hard plastic assembly figures is in my “too fussy” list, but it’s generally easy to avoid them in the first place. 

I like hard plastic minis... but... 

I have had GW plastic sets that were a joy to build (the sisters of battle set) and those that are a pain... (Wrath and Rapture). I try to stick out the GW sets since the price is usually pretty high so I feel more pressure to stick them out. 

I stopped buying malifaux plastics because the assembly and number of pieces was a pain. Though they are gorgeous models. 

• Like 7

The old school models I remember from the 80's-90's were all one piece. Lovely, simple... but looking back on them, somewhat static. There is a limit to what can be done with a vulcanized mold. Certain features are impossible in a single mold. Adding arms, legs, etc, allows for a more dynamic pose, but also adds complexity and cost. I sort of miss the good old days. It was a lot easier to game back then.

I think miniature companies are pushing the bounds of what can be done, and in some cases, not succeeding because of ambition.  They may not always think about assembly, but about aesthetics alone.  So I truly appreciate companies that strike a good balance between number of parts and coolness.  I have mostly stopped buying mini based on look if I can tell it will be a nightmare to assemble. You can usually tell. If it looks too good to be true, it will steal your sanity... avoid the super-cool ones! :lol:

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

With age and experience in a hobby comes a certain level of discernment.  When you run into a project that seems to be turning into a roadblock, it's probably a signal that it's time to box it up and let it age or go to the disposal pile.

GEM

• Like 5