Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Smokestack

Patience and age

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Smokestack said:

I was wondering if others have done this too?

 

I might have ebayed the survivors...was this metal or plastic?

 

I had a strange metal dragon once upon a time. It was missing his upper jaw piece. I took him to the melt table at reapercon. Hopefully he became newer miniatures. He was many ounces of trade value.

 

 

9 hours ago, Smokestack said:

Do you try and sell them or to you toss them? 

 

I would sell or recycle or repurpose somehow.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Corporea said:

The old school models I remember from the 80's-90's were all one piece. Lovely, simple... but looking back on them, somewhat static. There is a limit to what can be done with a vulcanized mold. Certain features are impossible in a single mold. Adding arms, legs, etc, allows for a more dynamic pose, but also adds complexity and cost. I sort of miss the good old days. It was a lot easier to game back then.

 

I think miniature companies are pushing the bounds of what can be done, and in some cases, not succeeding because of ambition.  They may not always think about assembly, but about aesthetics alone.  So I truly appreciate companies that strike a good balance between number of parts and coolness.  I have mostly stopped buying mini based on look if I can tell it will be a nightmare to assemble. You can usually tell. If it looks too good to be true, it will steal your sanity... avoid the super-cool ones! :lol:

 

This is exactly what happened with Rackham Confrontation.

Those minis were designed by artists who wanted to make very very cool minis.

 

I love the looks, but a lot of them were very hard to assemble.

Tiny zombie arm on a rider, super small waists needing to be glued to the lower body all so thin and flimsy.

I have been frustrated a lot with some of these.

But in the end, if you persisted, these were gorgeous minis.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will persist with most models, even complex, not-so-well-made ones.

 

But sometimes I just loose interest in a subject/period. If the model sits in a box for years, and I'm uninterested in it then it gets ebayed.

Edited by paintybeard
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that lately people got used to better and better models, fine cast, easy fit, no mold lines, etc. but form me this is part of the hobby! 
I won't say that I like when a model is hard to assembly, but I don't mind cause I can't wait to paint it.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually seem to be getting more patient as I get older.

 

A few years ago I got so fed up with my inability to assemble metal minis that I sold all of them, nowadays I'm much more willing to work out how to get the stupid things to stick together (As you can probably tell, it's still a part of the hobby I don't particularly enjoy though).

 

If it's something I'm certain I'll never paint though, then it's gone.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm much better at putting minis together than at painting them...     

but some... such as Mantic's Kings of War skeletons... is a horror from another wrld in how badly some fits together, particularly those that are part plastic and part metal.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cicciopiu said:

I know that lately people got used to better and better models, fine cast, easy fit, no mold lines, etc. but [for] me this is part of the hobby! 
I won't say that I like when a model is hard to assembly, but I don't mind cause I can't wait to paint it.

 

Does this mean you are the one hobbyist on this planet that liked Finecast™️ ?

 



Fine+or+Fail+1.jpg

 

So many folk detested it that a spoof ^ logo was spawned.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TGP said:

 

Does this mean you are the one hobbyist on this planet that liked Finecast™️ ?

 

 

  Hide contents

 

 


Fine+or+Fail+1.jpg

 

So many folk detested it that a spoof ^ logo was spawned.
 

 

 


I wrote fine cast, not Finecast -_- 
Cicciopiu do not support Citadel in any way but Agrax wash. :ph34r:
Cicciopiu hates GW. :grr:
 

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Cicciopiu said:


I wrote fine cast, not Finecast -_- 
Cicciopiu do not support Citadel in any way but Agrax wash. :ph34r:
Cicciopiu hates GW. :grr:
 

FYI, Army Painter's Strong Tone Ink is supposed to be an exact match, if you want to cut that final cord....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2020 at 5:22 PM, Corporea said:

The old school models I remember from the 80's-90's were all one piece. Lovely, simple... but looking back on them, somewhat static. There is a limit to what can be done with a vulcanized mold. Certain features are impossible in a single mold. Adding arms, legs, etc, allows for a more dynamic pose, but also adds complexity and cost. I sort of miss the good old days. It was a lot easier to game back then.

 

Yes, for the most part.  My interest in the overall miniatures hobby has always been slanted firmly toward the gaming end of things, so my goal is/was/always-has-been to set a nice looking table and play a game.  From that perspective, the individual soldiers/warriors/figures in a game are somewhat overshadowed by the whole table.  It often seems better to be to be able to put out a unit of a dozen or two figures who look like they belong together than one amazingly painted individual, so I appreciate things that are a bit simpler.  “Static” poses are easy to make work together in groups, too.  A single hero on a rearing horse is one thing, a unit of two dozen horsemen all rearing at once is another (and rather odd) thing.  A lot of modern figures, sculpted to be dynamic individuals, are tough to array into units at all.  (Or even single-figure based warband groups, i.e. an RPG adventuring party).  

 

Reducing the overall prep and painting time gets a new game going faster.  Clearly people building dioramas of one or two figures and investing months of effort are going to have different priorities.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's plenty of good 1-piece minis out there.   

EffinCool has the OldHammer series. Westfalia, Stonehaven, Midlam, Oathsworn are all good at making 1-piece minis. 

 

And yeah, some of their minis really deserve a big diorama with it as the centerpiece. Oathsworn's Half-Orc Barbarian female comes to mind...     

(It'll still work in a small warband, though.)

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

There's plenty of good 1-piece minis out there.   

EffinCool has the OldHammer series. Westfalia, Stonehaven, Midlam, Oathsworn are all good at making 1-piece minis. 


I know Stonehaven (and have most of them), Midlam, and Oathsworn, but not the other two.

 

Oathsworn is a particular favorite. Michael Lovejoy apparently hates assembling miniatures, so will do anything he can to keep them in one piece...

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2020 at 7:52 AM, Gadgetman! said:

I'm much better at putting minis together than at painting them...     

but some... such as Mantic's Kings of War skeletons... is a horror from another wrld in how badly some fits together, particularly those that are part plastic and part metal.

 

Grump has about fifty gazillion of the plastic KoW skellies assembled and painted, and a small Box of Shame with all the metal bits that he was supposed to use to make some of them archers. ::P:

 

I don't thinl I have ever tried to assemble a kit with both metal and plastic.

 

Wouldn't they be top heavy?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Grump has about fifty gazillion of the plastic KoW skellies assembled and painted, and a small Box of Shame with all the metal bits that he was supposed to use to make some of them archers. ::P:

 

I don't thinl I have ever tried to assemble a kit with both metal and plastic.

 

Wouldn't they be top heavy?

 

They may be top heavy if you only use the minimal round base, but for me the only concern was that the archers I put together had such a bad fit that you wouldn't believe it. 

(The bottom half was plastic, from the regular sworsman sprue, the top half was metal parts)

 

Most of them are still unprimed, left in the box I left them in a year ago.  

Because the thought of GSing all those skeletons was just too much of a bother. 

(I bought them mostly for paining practice. I figured that since they're slightly smaller than a Bones skelly, that they would be good practice)

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rob Dean said:


I know Stonehaven (and have most of them), Midlam, and Oathsworn, but not the other two.

 

Oathsworn is a particular favorite. Michael Lovejoy apparently hates assembling miniatures, so will do anything he can to keep them in one piece...

Oathsworn minis are quite lovely, doubly so because well, I won't lie, I do like that they're a case of take out of package, clean, prime, and paint...  And the poses are still rather lovely :)

 

As for assembly and the initial question, it seems to depend on my mood.  My Maghariba Guard was an effort to assemble, with it's 18 or so pieces, but I enjoyed the process.  I still have an A10 Warthog I want to build up (that hubby bought for my birthday, uhm, ten months ago), but that one I keep putting off to the side - then again, until recently I haven't had all that many places where I could actually sit down and spend the time to assemble it due to lack of space to build something so large!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...