Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

Drakes

12 hours ago, GHarris said:

Still a WIP but these scales were done with a Nanomesh, and are being tweaked with the Move Topological Brush. I did the scales on the Cockatrices for Bones V with Nanomeshes as well. Just a different approach, in the end the result is what matters.

Scales Closeup.jpg

That looks like it would print really nicely! Going to have to look into this method.

• Like 5

@GHarris:  Wow, that looks nice.  I need to look into that, especially for non-organic repetitive forms like scale mail and chain mail.  I'm not sure that I would like it for organic scales though, it's a bit too perfect.

Last night, I finished the scales, tweaked them into more spade shapes, added skin texture, and sharpened the ventral and dorsal scales.  

drake.jpg.0c3bff9f168464dd85cd5c73c8230835.jpg

Next up: the head.

• Like 18

I worked on the head over lunch.

First, I opened the mouth a bit.  Then, I made teeth as subtools and positioned them around the head:

head1.jpg.8661b0a767580e4dd146c75c17de1eaf.jpg

Next, I worked the face with various brushes to make the mouth right.  I also added 2 spheres for eyes and sculpted eyelids.  

Head2.jpg.3b2f903898d6e5340bb7f9eb1908f2e7.jpg

There is still considerable work to do on the face, probably another session on that, then I can pose the model, add its feet and ears, add a base, and then do the fine detail work.

• Like 19

This guy is looking really good so far, even sans feet. 

I really hope that someone **cough** Reaper **cough** picks these up for production and sale. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Last night, I merged everything and posed it:

p0.jpg.725f08f835dc439e05b485a79b973533.jpg

p2.jpg.b063adfb1686f68b0f6c7599e563f665.jpg

p1.jpg.5753cf5e93c07603890ea83e79d2199f.jpg

The critter’s tail is inspired!

Srsly, never seen a tail like that....did anything in particular inspire it?

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, TGP said:

Todd Lockwood's version of the Blue Dragon from D&D 3e; plus a few alterations I made based on reptile studies.

1 hour ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I really like the slightly twisted head position. Looks a bit more natural and less rigid.

I am basing the poses on all of these on real cat/big cat poses to add life to them

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Some girdled lizards or armadillo lizards aren't too far off! 

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I am basing the poses on all of these on real cat/big cat poses to add life to them

Good thinking on that apex predator body language! It's working well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2020 at 9:13 PM, TaleSpinner said:

This guy was one of my inspirations for the tail:

safe_image.php?d=AQBbkVWuSE_oTGRr&w=540&h=282&url=https%3A%2F%2Fallthatsinteresting.com%2Fwordpress%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F04%2Fcurled-up-armadillo-lizard.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1&fallback=news_d_placeholder_publisher&_nc_hash=AQDXwtMa7aPkvrax

That's one beautiful critter!

• Like 1

@TaleSpinner a

PBS EONs video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QmdcewIjXi0

What has a scaley hide, jaws ^ full of serrated chompy teeth, a long reptilian tail,  is ten or twelve feet long and runs around on four long legs ??

Well, no scientist worth his salt is brave enough to call it a wingless dragon or a cold drake but they are convinced it was alive and well in the Eocene!!

(Run length is ~10 minutes.)

• Like 4

On 3/10/2020 at 7:19 AM, TGP said:

@TaleSpinner a

PBS EONs video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QmdcewIjXi0

What has a scaley hide, jaws ^ full of serrated chompy teeth, a long reptilian tail,  is ten or twelve feet long and runs around on four long legs ??

Well, no scientist worth his salt is brave enough to call it a wingless dragon or a cold drake but they are convinced it was alive and well in the Eocene!!

(Run length is ~10 minutes.)

I love that croc.  My boy and I watch PBS Eons all the time; great show.  I have thought about that croc as I designed these. This particular one really inspires me:

Image result for running crocodile

Sorry for the lack of updates recently; I have been working on some Dark Sword projects as well as the engagement ring for my Son and a new design for Haiti. Last night, I had a spare half hour while talking with George (@knarthex) so I added and posed the feet (obviously not attached or detailed yet).

drake.jpg.301172f732cefbee64cfb903091ea086.jpg

• Like 17