Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

Drakes

Awesome, I really like the eyes and the posture. It's starting to look a lot like your inspiration models.

• Thanks 1

Mostly done now.  Here it is in the Reaper show-off render colors.  

1717268526_nobase.JPG.3c9e828a705faedcb7269b46f7b3c105.JPG

I just have a few tweaks on the head left and to sculpt a base. 

• Like 10

Wow, those are amazing!

I showe the pictures to my housemate and they said that the Drakes reminded them of "the way cats stalk their prey", so I think you channelled the snow leopard vibe pretty well :winkthumbs:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I just love it!

Actually I like them better than winged dragons.

These are very cool for, let's say, appearing from a jungle or in a desert..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The blue would make an excellent guard drake, and the green would make an excellent ambush drake.

I would buy them both in a two-pack already.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is Z-Brush hard to learn for someone who can't sculpt with putty?

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Is Z-Brush hard to learn for someone who can't sculpt with putty?

Z-Brush is hard to learn...period.  It is unbelievably layered, complex, and deep.  The concept of intuitive UI didn't even occur to its developers. That said, it is learnable, and there are tons of resources out there to help you do just that.

But, it is a tool, nothing more.  It won't magically help people be better sculptors.  It actually does the opposite; there are so many shortcuts and automations in it that can help a sculptor speed up, that really good sculptors sometimes become too complacent with using these tools sacrificing the uniqueness and quality that they used to bring to the art in their hand sculpts.

I liken it to MS Word.  Back in the 1990's, when Word first caught on, it changed the very nature of the publishing industry.  Overnight, everyone on their brother thought they were writers and a lot of really bad novels started flooding into the industry.  Word made it easy to write a novel; but it didn't make people good writers.

I'm not trying to discourage you; I'd just hate for you to spend close to $1000 on a product that takes serious commitment to learn (not to mention you need a serious PC, like gaming level, and a tablet to use it; my PC and cintiq setup costs considerably more the Z-Brush).  I believe that Z-Brush has a free or reduced price stripped down version if you would like to try without the huge investment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, TaleSpinner said:

Z-Brush is hard to learn...period.  It is unbelievably layered, complex, and deep.  The concept of intuitive UI didn't even occur to its developers. That said, it is learnable, and there are tons of resources out there to help you do just that.

But, it is a tool, nothing more.  It won't magically help people be better sculptors.  It actually does the opposite; there are so many shortcuts and automations in it that can help a sculptor speed up, that really good sculptors sometimes become too complacent with using these tools sacrificing the uniqueness and quality that they used to bring to the art in their hand sculpts.

I liken it to MS Word.  Back in the 1990's, when Word first caught on, it changed the very nature of the publishing industry.  Overnight, everyone on their brother thought they were writers and a lot of really bad novels started flooding into the industry.  Word made it easy to write a novel; but it didn't make people good writers.

I'm not trying to discourage you; I'd just hate for you to spend close to $1000 on a product that takes serious commitment to learn (not to mention you need a serious PC, like gaming level, and a tablet to use it; my PC and cintiq setup costs considerably more the Z-Brush).  I believe that Z-Brush has a free or reduced price stripped down version if you would like to try without the huge investment.

Thx!

I had no idea it was that expensive..

Was just toying with the idea, but I think it will be too complex for me then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Thx!

I had no idea it was that expensive..

Was just toying with the idea, but I think it will be too complex for me then.

If you're just looking to play around and get an idea of how the tools work, there is a similar program called Sculptris that is free - it's made by the same people as Z-Brush

• Like 1

On with the drakes!  I started working on the red one.  I split the head from the body, then opened the lower jaw and split that from the head.  Then I sculpted the rough forms of all the belly plates. 

image.png.b8d19b4230f97ae5ad0d1e8e518403b7.png

By the way, my pose inspiration for this one comes from fighting male big cats:

Our Enemies: Space Tigers | Wild cats, Startled cat, Big cats

Lions fighting! | Animals wild, Wild animals photos, Lion vs lion

Watch:Video captures tigers fighting brutally in Ranthambore [Video]

• Like 10