Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

Drakes

I worked on the tail at lunch today.  First, I added a ton of detail to the ventral scales (which are now done).  Then I added a row of my new IMM brush, Keeled_Scale that I sculpted.  So far I really like the IMM brush. For those not into ZBrush, and IMM brush is a brush that holds one of more models that you have created (scale in this case) and inserts them onto another mesh (tail in this case).

image.thumb.png.1aa8a7308b8429d16ddc79a96bd47424.png

• Like 10

Looking good. 

Question on the IMM brush - I've seen you warn other sculptors about the trap of details being too uniform when methods like this are used.  Since I've seen you warn others, I assume you're aware of that, and are/have taken steps to make sure you don't fall into that same trap? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Looking good. 

Question on the IMM brush - I've seen you warn other sculptors about the trap of details being too uniform when methods like this are used.  Since I've seen you warn others, I assume you're aware of that, and are/have taken steps to make sure you don't fall into that same trap? 

Good question, it's been on the top of my mind, actually.  In this case I wan't a bit more uniformity than I otherwise can get, but yes, I am taking steps.  First, it is a single IMM brush, so I still have to put each scale in. As I do so, I am sizing them by eyeball.  That should give some variance.  Finally, after all is done, I plan to go back and beat them up and "adjust" things.We'll see how this works and if I like the results.  One issue I had with the scales on the Blue drake, is that they feel a bit too free form to me.  Snakes and other reptiles aren't quite THAT variable in scale pattern.  That is what I am trying to solve with this.

Up Close | the keeled (ridged) scales of a basking female ad… | Flickr

• Like 11

30 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Good question, it's been on the top of my mind, actually. 

I figured there was some solid thinking behind taking this "shortcut"

• Like 2

@TaleSpinner Just saw the print from that figure with the scale armor I did with a similar IMM brush. Turns out there were very small holes between scales that didn't get properly filled in because I couldn't really see them. To correct my model (and potentially yours) I'm going to fill the whole area with a sphere then trim dynamic away everything that shows on the surface and dynamesh it all together. That way any hidden gaps/holes get filled and there aren't any printing issues.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Rainbow Sculptor said:

@TaleSpinner Just saw the print from that figure with the scale armor I did with a similar IMM brush. Turns out there were very small holes between scales that didn't get properly filled in because I couldn't really see them. To correct my model (and potentially yours) I'm going to fill the whole area with a sphere then trim dynamic away everything that shows on the surface and dynamesh it all together. That way any hidden gaps/holes get filled and there aren't any printing issues.

What was the profile of your scales?  Mine are little columns that are embedded into the base mesh and each other. I'll have to check them though; thanks.

• Like 4

All of the repetitive detail on my recent models is IMM, there does seem to be the danger of gaps that you have to be mindful of. 

I've also made a IMM curve brush for rope that works well for drawing ropes on a surface - it was quite fiddly to setup. 

• Like 2

Current state of the tail:

image.png.9037338420addd8f6e517f9be55b3b1c.png

image.png.85db31fa1f7a7ccf23c63b81c749461b.png

Here is a single scale.  You can see what I mean by it being a column that extends down into the mesh.  I hope to avoid gaps that way.

image.png.02ad379dd9e0bb08758c89202c1df8b9.png

• Like 13

Got the tail and body scales done (sans beat-up cycle). Also did the fins and spines.  Thanks to @TGP for the idea of using a modified scale for the fin spines.  I'm still trying to decide what, if any, texture to use on the fin membranes.

image.thumb.png.85cbdc39244ea598482f0d5bc52937f2.pngimage.thumb.png.292c9a9d03ab64f0a1fe14aa7f786762.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

No idea why, but I see that one currently throwing one of those rocker (or metal head) hand gestures while either holding onto an electric guitar with the other... And probably is about ready to dive into the mosh pit or something... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

No idea why, but I see that one currently throwing one of those rocker (or metal head) hand gestures while either holding onto an electric guitar with the other... And probably is about ready to dive into the mosh pit or something... 

I'd hate to be in that mosh pit; think of all those spiky bits.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

This is becoming even more awesome! Great to see the seperate models shaping up!

If you'd allow me a question? His gaze seems to be to the floor right beneath him. From your examples with the big cats, they usually look abit further ahead.

Is this an intentional change..? In my mind it might be more intimidating if he's looking forward instead of straight downward, especially if you put him up against some gut-in-shoes players :)

• Like 1