The Guard Drake #22 from Icons of the Realms OR Tyranny of Dragons, I don't know which, is on a 1" base.

The Rage Drake #53 from Desert of Desolation set and from the Wrath of Ashardalon game is on a 2" base.

There are a few other drakes in the sets, but these were the one I remembered.

Plus I own a few Guard Drakes from before they got stupid expensive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

For now this is a personal project.  If they turn out well and they get picked up by a client, the client will set the scale.

The huge advantage of digital sculpting: Sculpt first; Scale later. 

Or even make them available in two scales...

Is it feasible to repose the underlying spheres armature after the figures are sculpted in more detail? Does the detail “follow along” if that’s the correct term?

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Brother Jim said:

Guard Drake #22

Most of the pix I found attributed it to Tryanny of Dragons. 

85d5c9b99170a6f773b885105505c026.jpg

Here is one of them. 

@TaleSpinner I am confident you will exceed the quality of the sculpting with your drakes. 

So I suppose size M creatures that are quadrupeds are allowed to extend into the adjacent squares fore and aft. 

Just looking at it, that Guard Drake #22 model could could easily get rebased to a 50x24 Warhammer Cavalry Base. It would fit just fine. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 2/15/2020 at 8:37 AM, Brother Jim said:

Plus I own a few Guard Drakes from before they got stupid expensive.

Did not realize these were pricey. 

The few D&D prepaints I have were found in $1 and $2 bins. (At gaming store that wanted to unload them once the craze had flatlined.)

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

@TGP that mini would be perfect but I am NOT gonna pay what they want on fleabay when I can be patient and get something really good.

Reaper sells a rideable (metal) Lizard, if you are in a hurry. If you can find any Warhammer Lizardmen players they might have a spare “Cold One” they’d part with. 

The Long Boring Story of Cold Ones

Citadel has made at least four attempts that I know of to sculpt something like a Velociraptor Dino. Theirs were always the right size to be Cavalry mounts. The most recent and bestest of these was given to the Dark Elf Army. Because Model Envy is a thing, there are collectors of the Lizardmen Army who have bought boxes of Elf Cavalry just for the mounts and have used the parts to give their Lizardguys the better sculpts by doing conversions. 

( #warhammerplayersbecrazy )

Me, I just figure there are four or more (sub?)species of Raptor-like Dinos running around on Warhammer’s planet. 

e6a12deaa9130fe03a85ba322048ff0b.jpg

These are considered the ^ ‘good’ ones. 

They are all described as “Cold Ones” even though the various kinds look different enough their bones would be cataloged as different species (through the eyes of a modern paleontologist).

Edited by TGP
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Corsair said:

@TGP that mini would be perfect but I am NOT gonna pay what they want on fleabay when I can be patient and get something really good.

Ever considered the Dark Sword ( Former Ral Partha) Lowland Hunting Dragon?

image.png.bbceb5ca272dca936d35beed0e1b8005.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, TGP said:

Is it feasible to repose the underlying spheres armature after the figures are sculpted in more detail? Does the detail “follow along” if that’s the correct term?

Yes, there is a way to do this.  Not quite what you described, but the repose with following detail, yes.

And yes, I would expect the heads and tails to extend past the base edges.

• Like 6