Sign in to follow this  
Rahz

The Batman who laughs

So I’ve been burning through resin for the past few weeks.  Been focusing on busts as my collection of unpainted minis is... impressive.  I should be painting those, but...  Other than my airbrush exploding on me (paint bubbling up through the trigger), this guy hasn’t taken much time yet.  

Got this from Fotis Mint on Patreon along with a bunch of other ones. 

F3F1715D-CBCA-4D1D-9C6B-E0FC627AD8BE.thumb.jpeg.426dac7b80921f57a7f36dcbe8957609.jpeg
Printed with a mix of regular clear Elegoo resin mixed with clear red ABS-like Elegoo, about 70/30.  

872A00F1-AA02-42F5-8C60-26D594E1D287.thumb.jpeg.c4a3391c10c35b2045bb79e9d7152862.jpeg
Primed with Vallejo black primer then base coated with Reaper Coal Black (my new favourite black!!) with a drop of Minitaire Green ghost tint to help enhance the green hue.  

B0B32A83-EDBF-4E6E-9752-03430F83B280.thumb.jpeg.eb3c0e7e164678bed006ebafc6f4e9dd.jpeg
he then got a bib and I hit his face with Reaper Mist Green mixed with some white with a lighter (much more white than Most Green) highlight.  

58416A2E-E35A-48A8-BA6E-4CABC9CE5CE5.thumb.jpeg.e9bc02a9854ed3be15d7d1f36bb8d89c.jpeg
i then glossed up the face with some varnish. 

04250B41-7DDD-4EA2-9732-219E86CAD1AC.thumb.jpeg.3f2c34556fd6e049756be05b46557d23.jpeg

His face then got some washes.  Old GW Ogryn Flesh thinned down all over, Vallejo Model Wash Dark Green on the skin and Minitaire Fresh Blood Ghost Tint on the lips and teeth.  

The crown then got a base coat of Reaper Scorched Metal.  

Apparently I didn’t take shots of it, but I then mat coated it and cleaned up the black around the face.  

Tonight I’ll bring the skin back to an almost pure white, leaving the washes in the cracks and I’ll get his mouth done.  
The crown is a more silver colour in the comics but I’m planning on sponging lighter metallics on to give it a less pristine look.  The leather will be relatively plain as I want the face to stand out, but it will get some highlights and buckles picked out. 

Thanks for looking. 

Edited by Rahz
  • Like 14

Man that is a gorgeous print! Did you have to do any post processing beyond curing and the like?

Urge to buy resin printer rising, rising!

Paint job looks awesome so far!

How do you like the Minitaire tints so far?  I've been considering them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Man that is a gorgeous print! Did you have to do any post processing beyond curing and the like?

Urge to buy resin printer rising, rising!

Paint job looks awesome so far!

How do you like the Minitaire tints so far?  I've been considering them.

If you look at the full version of the primed mini, you can see layer lines on the teeth and on the top of the head.  They are quite noticeable on the "ears" as well.  I had noticed them on the flat surfaces (back and where the arms would be) and I hit them with a quick rub with 400 grit sand paper and they are smooth as can be.  The paint seems to be obscuring the ones on the teeth, hopefully the ears and head will be the same.  I thought about going back and giving them a quick sand but decided it wasn't worth it.  

I also noticed there's a line across his chest and back that looks like there was a bump/hic up on a layer.  Will have to check the Z axis screw, but it's barely visible and again, hoping the paint will hide it.  

I really like the Minitaire tints.  They are very strong but that's fine as they thin very nicely.  Those and the Vallejo Model Washes are by far my preferred washes.   Minitaire for straight, strong colours, and the Vallejo ones for more "realistic" tones (greys, greens, rusts...). 

C9ADCF0A-CE73-45FE-9D0D-E11104FF9C50.thumb.jpeg.ded12ce9a24285bcfe2c37479ca864d1.jpeg

and just to tempt you a little more, these are on deck for some quick paint at some point too...   

Edited by Rahz
  • Like 11

A little progress.  Starting to look a little more vibrant. 

Mostly Warcolors used along with some Reaper White. 
2F65337F-A844-466A-94E2-BB5D94C48DEF.jpeg.633fef8f208616a8e002a0868a3f91e8.jpeg

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 11

Little bit more progress.  Dirtied up the face a little with the same 3 washes and picked out the buckles.  

hopefully tomorrow night I can get the face finished (last bit of clean up and some minor highlights) and get the leather drybrushed to pick out all the awesome texture on it.  Then I’ll just have the metallic bits to work on some more.  

E19DC844-ED5D-415F-A200-A0CBE6255E4E.thumb.jpeg.7b700e06f85cb7f664822d33a9ad1eb8.jpeg

thanks for looking. 

• Like 12

Bit of drybrushing on the armour with Reaper Jungle Mist followed by a bit more on the tops of the shoulders and head along with the middle of the chest, this time Jungle Mist/white 50/50 and first coat of Vallejo Model Air Gun Metal on the buckles and crown.  Kept it thin. 

B78F93EF-BD1E-4D65-8C73-6776BD11046B.thumb.jpeg.4212b72726f8a1f412517f07a71eb858.jpeg

going to soften the drybrush with a gentle wash and then work on brightening the metal.  Bloody spittle night get added at the end...  we’ll see.  

Thanks for looking. 

Edited by Rahz
  • Like 13

28 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

This is gorgeous and horrifying. But every time I see this monster's design, I always wonder how he sees...

I agree wholeheartedly with the vision issues.  I haven't read these comics yet, so am not sure if it's addressed.  Maybe he uses his pet Robins to see for him?  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

This is gorgeous and horrifying. But every time I see this monster's design, I always wonder how he sees...

I did some sleuthing and here is the answer on how he sees.  Linked to avoid spoiling anything.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

168B9449-5B59-4FCE-8064-8CFB67775815.thumb.jpeg.363f02d80edb085f0010bcb610a2433d.jpegBit more progress. 

Gave the armour (leather and metal) a light wash of Vallejo Dark Green and Dark Grey wash (50/50), added a tiny bit of Dark Grey wash in a couple of the deeper recesses and folds.  The small leather straps holding the larger pieces together got a quick shot of Dark Brown wash.  Then gave the crown another light coat of Vallejo Air Gun Metal and the upper-facing parts of all the buckles got the same treatment. 

not sure if I’m going to hit the armour with another wash or not.  It’s dark, leans to a green hint which is what I was going for.   
still want to hit the crown with another coat or 2, just to enhance it and there’s still a bit of touch up on the face to do.  

thanks for looking. 

• Like 11

So... this guy...  I added some lighter highlights to the metallic parts and really didn't like the effect on the face spikes so I hit it with a wash and... bleh...  really didn't like it.  Wife has been away on a business trip so I've been juggling the kids and their activities so painting has been back-burnered for a bit.  Hit him with some mat varnish last night and plan on masking off his collar and face a bit and having another go at the face spikes.  Am off work with the kids tomorrow (ah the joys of striking teachers) so hoping to get that at least started. 

As with many projects, when I hit a stumbling block, they tend to get shelved...  Trying not to let this happen as the shelf of shame is getting a little out of hand.  

More progress and pictures tomorrow.  

• Like 2

So here he is. 

some touch ups on the face, buckes highlighted and the face thingy is back to Reaper Scorched Metal.  I’ve been playing with sponging different metal colours over it on a piece of scrap trying to find the look I’m going for.  He’s been matt coated and the base needs a little highlight on the bat logo (or it’s going to get painted up like the face spikes... still insure).  

starting to wish I’d left the face thingy alone after the previous pictures so I may work towards that again. 

E827FF48-579E-407B-905F-19549729359D.thumb.jpeg.e6f49dd6b209570a132d1f7898f96c84.jpeg82D5BECC-ECD9-4433-ACFE-0E7537516A41.thumb.jpeg.be36c2cd74774e5e1b4207ae69694986.jpeg

Hoping to have him wrapped up by the end of the week but am prepping a bunch of D&D related stuff for the last battle as my group make their escape from the Underdark on Friday night, so we’ll see how things go.  

thanks for looking. 

• Like 10