Sign in to follow this  
Rainbow Sculptor

Holly Monster Kid Hero Collab

This is going to look great!

Yeah rapiers are always a pain. I've made a few, and by their very nature they need to be thin with elaborate basket hilts and guards....which don't really work for printing and production. I have another rapier wielding character in mind to sculpt so I will be watching this thread to see if there are any ideas that I can steal....er….."borrow" for making the sword!

• Like 3

Today was my day "off" but I spent a few hours blocking some major elements for this piece.

The base anatomy I was able to mostly reuse a ZSphere rig I built previously for Yuka (the inuit kid hero) because they shared a similar body type. I made the waist a little smaller, the torso a tad bit longer, and a few other very minor adjustments and this rig was ready to be posed.

1384928910_ZSphereProportions.JPG.fbaff7ac20f038bd5e1f75b70a3b2fc9.JPG1299061232_ZSpheresPosed.JPG.d58efb24faf11d86d258c09ddd1ed3c1.JPG

Then I did a little bit of anatomy cleanup and started on the head. I had some reference images already that Holly provided. Plus I had redrawn this character in my style already so this was a pretty quick process. I had a really good idea of what I wanted from the get go and it came together pretty quickly.

1391346196_Monsterhea.JPG.084f1e5085d767a58f4c5b14c5a58508.JPG

Put those elements together and added some basic blocking in shapes to get a feel for how everything is flowing together in the composition and so far so good I think!

422824583_WIP1.JPG.480b3d457f18648754545938006534e7.JPG

• Like 20

I’m so excited that this is happening. I never thought my stream mascot turned D&D character would end up becoming a real mini. I can’t wait to see her completed, and I absolutely love the care and thought you are putting into this. ♥️♥️♥️

• Like 13

This is really fantastic! I'm looking forward to seeing this character completed, love the work so far.

I really love the Holly-leaf hilt for the rapier! It's very in keeping with historical rapiers, in the sense that once swords became a little more associated with the upper classes there are many examples of custom-built swords that referenced their owners' arms or deeds in their construction. And the way you've sculpted the leaf makes it very similar to a clamshell guard with a very broad knucklebow, so it's not far off from a real thing!

If you're ever doing another rapier, keep in mind that many didn't have elaborate cages: a stiff thrusting blade, a knucklebow, a pair of quillons (the "crossguard"), and a protective ring or cup above the front quillon (so a forefinger can wrap around the unsharpened base of the blade above the crossguard) is really what makes the sword a rapier. The fancy cage is just one kind of rapier hilt. I always want to see more cup hilts on minis, TBH. Cups were one of the most common types of hilt, and the Spanish continued using them for a hundred years after the rest of Europe moved on to the smallsword.

Anyway, I love this "Monster." Can't wait to see you add the horns to that face! 

• Like 8

Question:

The shield, is it definititively going to be round? because Selune is a Moon Goddess and moons are round?

Selune.JPG

When I first saw that ^ I pictured a more involved shape for the shield. But I know almost nothing about Forgotten Realms. 

But I stumbled onto this:

9226279e3d0bd8630c2a44ec2ac8c333.png

....which could be fan fic art. IDK. 

On 2/16/2020 at 7:36 PM, TGP said:

Question:

The shield, is it definititively going to be round? because Selune is a Moon Goddess and moons are round?

Selune.JPG

When I first saw that ^ I pictured a more involved shape for the shield.

So It doesn't necessarily HAVE to be round. Even using the star/circle shape we could work that into a more elongated diamond shaped shield if we wanted to. I try to consider what will be easiest for printing/casting purposes and the round was an obvious choice. Definitely worth considering alternative solutions though. I'll play around with the shape of it when we get to that part and see what will work best! 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Rainbow Sculptor said:

So It doesn't necessarily HAVE to be round. Even using the star/circle shape we could work that into a more elongated diamond shaped shield if we wanted to. I try to consider what will be easiest for printing/casting purposes and the round was an obvious choice. Definitely worth considering alternative solutions though. I'll play around with the shape of it when we get to that part and see what will work best! 

This is what popped into my head, after thinking "how does that fit onto a shield / what shield does that fit?"

$0.02:

IMG_4601.thumb.JPG.c6411a232f5dfbd71e5d32821894adcf.JPG

A five minute doodle. 3x2.5 inches. Feel free to modify, tweak, discard, throw rocks...

• Like 5

Little more work on Monster today. Defining the hair, adding the little holly berries and leaves, and the rough version of the horns. Blocking some more parts of the costuming throughout. I don't get to devote entire days at a time on this project so you'll see this one come together a little slower than some of my other threads. This is a couple hours of work. 

1291972441_WIP2.JPG.b911e433defc34ed24b6972a23bed83a.JPG

Edited by Rainbow Sculptor
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1