Sign in to follow this  
Rainbow Sculptor

Holly Monster Kid Hero Collab

Hi @Rainbow Sculptor! Love your work! I came into the hobby not long ago, and I'm curious how you as a sculptor will see a project like this to retail. If not part of Reaper's KS machine, what do you do with a digital (or 3D) sculpt? Do you pitch it to mini manufacturers? Are you a freelancer, or are you "on staff" with a company? I'd be curious to read anything you might share about what it's like being a miniature sculptor! (Sorry I'm an ENFP and just love to learn how things work, I'm not asking so I can try to become one too! )

Edited by Joshinminn

38 minutes ago, Joshinminn said:

Hi @Rainbow Sculptor! Love your work! I came into the hobby not long ago, and I'm curious how you as a sculptor will see a project like this to retail. If not part of Reaper's KS machine, what do you do with a digital (or 3D) sculpt? Do you pitch it to mini manufacturers? Are you a freelancer, or are you "on staff" with a company? I'd be curious to read anything you might share about what it's like being a miniature sculptor! (Sorry I'm an ENFP and just love to learn how things work, I'm not asking so I can try to become one too! )

Hey! So I work as a Freelancer. Im not on staff anywhere in particular but I do the majority of my work for Reaper. 

For a figure like this, if it were just for a personal client commission or a limited edition type of project I would finish sculpting it then send that file to Trenchworx or some other printing company to have a limited number of prints made or cast (likely in metal).

If it were something I was doing for fun I would shop it around to companies who might be interested in producing it.

Many sculptors have a Patreon or other personal revenue set up for their work, though I don't currently have one personally. 

I hope that helps answer your questions :)

Edited by Rainbow Sculptor
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

She's so cute. Maybe Reaper can work her into a B5 power up! And thanks for sharing about how things work. It's all very interesting. Love your work!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hollymonster said:

Oh my god I’m crying! She looks amazing and I’m so thankful for this!!! She’s got the perfect mischievous look on her face.

Looking forward to your return to the States!

1 minute ago, Clearman said:

I would buy both a physical model and a STL version of this in a heartbeat

@Rainbow Sculptor You so need to start a Patreon.

I'm so glad you guys like her! I have been wanting to start a Patreon this year however my current clients have kept my schedule full and I haven't had the time to develop a good backlog of figures and plan out a release schedule/tier rewards game plan. When/if there is news on that front I will let people know. You can follow me on Facebook @MoonlightMinis which is where I'll be posting any updates. 

Monsters status: sale pending, though I can't say to whom yet ;)

• Like 6

On 2/26/2020 at 4:31 PM, Rainbow Sculptor said:

Monsters status: sale pending, though I can't say to whom yet ;)

With the Kid Heroes on the Bones V kickstarter I know where my bet is going =) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Today we're getting started on Monster's little arctic fox friend! The beginning steps for animals are pretty much the same as people. I create a ZSphere rig with the proportions I want, pose it, then "Make PolyMesh3D" and start blocking in "anatomy" or in this case fur bulk with the clay builder brush.

1087914824_FoxWIP1.JPG.40ec7b0a0059e55cb71d330f03445cfd.JPG1866607158_FoxWIP2.JPG.c40b7783683c7e2eb865dc8fa7e0d199.JPG236033537_FoxWIP3.JPG.8c0f1530daab4448096eced05985a787.JPG

From here I'll be using mostly the orb crack brush to define the facial features and start creating layers/clumps of fur. 

359197412_FoxWIP4.JPG.787ffd31e9c00cbf3cfebd383a27baf7.JPG

• Like 20