Sign in to follow this  
Sirithiliel

Painting Argent

Painting this big guy. 

As I base coat him I still feel disappointed over how he turned out. If he wasn't such a hard, thick plastic I would make adjustments, sculpt new feet entirely,etc

Oh well

He is going to be my dragon character, Hezikiabadadia, the incredibly ancient red dragon who is going senile. He is one of my favorites and hubby has even made an encounter around him.

One of my favorite things about him is that he has decided,in his old age, that quantity over quality. He exchanged his gold for copper,and has the army of goblin tribes that serve him paint the copper coins gold. The huge mounds of glittering fake gold is more appealing to him than a smaller amount of real gold

Imagine the consternation of thieves. All real valuables are hidden in magically locked rooms,but some of those rooms hold cursed items just for thieves 

Anyways, here he is white washed with craft paint because I am not wasting my nice white paint on doing such a big area

IMG_20200215_194455.jpg

• Like 15

i decided i don't have to live with a disappointing Argent

i am now going to adjust the parts that bother me most

this is namely:

1. his tiny head compared to body size

2. his cellulite filled, double ankle jointed hind legs

3. all four feet with their stubby paw-toes

4. ideally i'd like to give him a bit of a belly so he isn't so anorexic looking

if it wasn't so tedious to remove bits, i'd resculpt every scale too.

here's a quick mock up

his hind legs are what bother me most, they're lumpy and don't follow proper animal anatomy (no offense to the sculptor, but there are two ankle joints in there right now...not to mention the random lumps )

c5b825b6d467c3aa418546024a1340a2_original.jpg

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 11

I love watching you work on stuff, because you're insane enough to get halfway through (or completely through) a project and then just go ham on resculpting it even though it undoes all that work. It's fascinating to behold, and the results definitely speak for themselves.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I love watching you work on stuff, because you're insane enough to get halfway through (or completely through) a project and then just go ham on resculpting it even though it undoes all that work. It's fascinating to behold, and the results definitely speak for themselves.

guilty. my poor minis are never guaranteed 'done', even if they're fully painted and been on a shelf for a few years. If somethign sparks my interest in them again, they may find themselves repainted over

• Like 5

The damage. His leg looks a lot better to me now. I removed the weird second ankle joint, leaving just the knee, ankle and foot joints. I also removed the random lumps 

Chopped off the nostrils and beard and some of the toes

IMG_20200216_103355.jpg

IMG_20200216_103404.jpg

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 11

I bought one of these to paint up for my best friend's Christmas present last year. I haven't done the painting yet, but he was presented with the dragon mini. I'm going to have to remember to never show him the significant improvement to the mini that this thread already demonstrates.

• Like 2

The character I am making him into is ancient,so going to keep that in mind As I resculpt parts. 

Wish I could age his wings, put in cuts and holes, but the material is just too thick for it

• Like 3