Sign in to follow this  
Rob Dean

Caesar Miniatures 1/72 scale Adventurers

Last month I held my nose to the grindstone, as it were, and painted a bunch of wargaming units, a dozen figures at a time.  This month, I wanted to relax just a little, so I pulled a group of Caesar Adventurers (currently OOP::(:) out of the queue, and amused myself by finishing off a couple of them.  

I’ve picture them here with Sir Forscale to show how not-big they are, which is why they make look just a little rough when blown up to more-than-life-size on the screen.  It’s interesting to me, though, what you can do with a 1/72, if you aren’t in too much of a hurry.  These were done with my work kit at lunches, so 45-60 minutes each.

CE4BC084-0C45-4902-A23F-3484E5B79342.thumb.jpeg.99ee2b2b7f9984561e89aaa17d157f5b.jpeg

23A4D7A0-9CC9-4164-8D8C-BE51C306D3B5.thumb.jpeg.7f430828df26b8864d74b8a1af844645.jpeg

5DAA96D4-1B05-4EEC-A105-F70C3C5BD2F9.thumb.jpeg.3158e8305c2cdc290cccf2a5d55ca9c9.jpeg

My elder son, who has been doing some amazing work on 1/72 historical Bronze Age figures lately, asked whether some sort of single figure game was in the plans.  As of now, I am thinking about using the 1/72s to play through some Rangers of Shadowdeep.

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 17

When I painted Airfix 1:72 soldiers, I remember the paint flaking off very easy.

How do you deal with that?

28 minutes ago, 72moonglum said:

These Caesar minis are really pretty cool. Are they easy to get a hold of?

Unfortunately not at the moment.  I hope that they will be back in production some time, but stocks of the Adventurers seems to have dried up.  I checked eBay, Michigan Toy Soldier, and the Toy Soldier Company in New York, and it looks like you could get orcs, goblins, elves, ratmen, lizardmen, and zombies.  So no adventurers, dwarves, or mostly skeleton undead...

21 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

When I painted Airfix 1:72 soldiers, I remember the paint flaking off very easy.

How do you deal with that?

The two main points are to ensure that they are thoroughly washed, and to finish them up with a flexible brush varnish (I use a Liquitex product most of the time, but my travel kit has a Vallejo Satin varnish).  Units get based so that the figures don’t get handled a lot as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

Unfortunately not at the moment.  I hope that they will be back in production some time, but stocks of the Adventurers seems to have dried up.  I checked eBay, Michigan Toy Soldier, and the Toy Soldier Company in New York, and it looks like you could get orcs, goblins, elves, ratmen, lizardmen, and zombies.  So no adventurers, dwarves, or mostly skeleton undead...

The two main points are to ensure that they are thoroughly washed, and to finish them up with a flexible brush varnish (I use a Liquitex product most of the time, but my travel kit has a Vallejo Satin varnish).  Units get based so that the figures don’t get handled a lot as well.

That's a pity, those adventurers are really pretty nice.