Sign in to follow this  
etherial

My dice need a makeover

The pips on some of my dice are fading into uselessness. Any tips on refreshing their visibility? One set is definitely Chessex but the other is of unknown provenance.

Find a contrasting paint color and doing one side at a time, put some in the setting and then rub it on a paper towel on a flat surface. Easier than it sounds!

• Like 2

Wash them before you repaint them. Some brush on primer wouldn't hurt, but usually doesn't seem necessary on dice since the pips are recessed.

• Like 5

I would suggest that while acrylic paints will work, hydrocarbon-based paints might be more durable.

Black or (more likely) white would be a good choice.

• Like 4

Crayon didn't last long on mine. I painted my blue crystal dice in 1983 with silver Testor's oil paint and it's still there.  YMMV. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

When it comes to knowledge of chemistry, listen to @Doug Sundseth!

Well, if you're feeling especially adventurous, anyway. :B):

My job is research and regurgitation; that's kind of the definition of tech writing. And I do have a science background, so I'm often not entirely clue free. But a chemist or chemical engineer would be a better choice for an authoritative source. Take all of my paint chemistry information as, "my best understanding, based on research through easily available sources and uncontradicted by anything I've personally seen", not holy writ. I'm not responsible if you explode, spontaneously combust, dissolve, sublime into a smelly cloud, or turn into a shambling zombie (post video, please).

But thank you. :poke:

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

My job is research and regurgitation; that's kind of the definition of tech writing.

Oh boy, I initially read that as your job is research of regurgitation and started wondering what type of line of work you're in. Oy, Brie, get thyself to bed!

• Haha 7

Makeover?!

*pulls out blush and eyeshadow*

Oh...different kind of makeover, I see. :lol:

I just use my mini paints to refresh the numbers on my dice (I probably should wash mine first, never thought of that so thank you for the suggestion @cmorse ), then I dab a bit of Brush-on sealer over the top. I do need to do this every few years or so on my favorite dice, but it's worked out fine for me.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, ced1106 said:

Who remembers the (sorta) good old days of... crayons? ::D:

300px-Crayoladice.JPG

Also, permanent ink, acrylic, and crayon https://www.skullsplitterdice.com/blogs/andrars-rumblings/re-inking-your-dice-101-marker-paint-or-crayon

I actually still have the dice that came in my original red box basic D&D set.  They have been used and abused for so many years that the corners are starting to round off a bit.  But that crayon is still holding strong in those recesses.  I have tons of way better looking dice but I still keep these around.  I just can't seem to bring myself to toss them out.  It feels like throwing away part of my childhood. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Rignes said:

I actually still have the dice that came in my original red box basic D&D set.... 

I got chits in by blue basic box in '79...it was only slightly a bummer. They all fell out dragging the box around.

chit.jpg.c29b828f7c0df148ec5367a6e9d242bf.jpg

I remember filling in the numbers on my dice with white-out correction fluid, and carefully rubbing the excess off before it dried.  It was pretty durable...  That was back in the late 80’s, and some of them still have the white-out markings today.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wyrmwood/dice-by-wyrmwood?ref=discovery_category_newest

Story
      Since 2013, Wyrmwood has been bringing our distinctive mixture of old-world craftsmanship, cutting-edge innovation and uncompromising service to your tabletop. It all began with our roleplaying accessories like the Dice Vault and GM Screen, then came Dice Trays and Tabletop Tiles for board game night - all crafted from beautiful natural materials and guaranteed for life. In 2017, Wyrmwood moved beyond the tabletop to the table itself, redefining the game table with the Wyrmwood Prophecy.
      But now it's time to go somewhere we've never gone before: DICE!
      We're partnering with Level Up Dice to bring the same quality and innovation you've come to expect from Wyrmwood to your roleplaying dice. Through a wide selection of beautiful natural and synthetic materials, and through an innovative new concept we call High Variance Dice that will bring something brand new to your next roleplaying session, this is the dice Kickstarter you've been waiting for.
      The greatest OPTIONAL dice concept ever.  You love it - it's yours for a small fee.  You hate it, no need to upgrade.  Totally up to you :)
      What are High Variance Dice?  
      High Variance dice are dice that have been shifted to exaggerate extreme results, without sacrificing the overall average value of the rolls. For example, on a typical d6, you have the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. The average roll is a 3.5. On a High Variance d6? 1, 1, 3, 4, 6, 6. The average roll is STILL a 3.5, however your chances of great success - or massive failure - have just doubled.
      Each die in the set has the same concept applied. The result? A set of dice designed for those situations where characters are really headed for one of only two things: a glorious victory, or a crushing defeat. Either way, it'll be something the party will never forget.
      We've all been there, and we've all got the stories; that session where the party was on its last legs, and everything depended on THAT roll. The dragon was closing in, the cleric was on his second death save, the wizard was out of spells... but the Barbarian, positioned on a ledge high on the cavern wall, had one last chance to save the day. She charged, leapt off the edge, and raised her axe high above her head as she came crashing down on the dragon. She rolled her attack, everyone held their breath, and...
       Of course, you should always let your GM know you'll be bringing or playing with High Variance dice, since they are non-standard. As for how to use them? The sky’s the limit:
      The “all or nothing” scenario, where everything comes down to one last-ditch effort. An otherwise normal character puts it all on the line.
        Venturing into the wrong forest, you’ve caught the attention of a devious fae looking for amusement. An enchantment on one or more of your party.means all of your ventures are doomed to result in either wonderful fortune or horrifying failure, but hardly anything in between. Will you get back to normal when you leave the forest? Will you want to?
        Growing up, your character always had an intrinsic bias towards extremes… everyone knew that you were destined to be a great hero… or a complete disaster. Now, beginning your adventuring career, you’re finally ready to find out which it will be. High Variance Number Arrays 
        The possibilities are endless. And again, since the overall average roll is the same, the dice can be used with little worry of imbalancing the game - the goal is to make things more fun and more extreme, NOT easier or harder. They can work in any d20 based system, and every GM can surely think of several ways to employ them - how will they fit into your game?  
      ALL dice in the campaign are available as a standard set of 7 polyhedrals, 3d6, d20, or any combination, in standard OR High Variance numbering! Dice in the campaign are available in a variety of synthetic and natural materials.
      Materials shown: Howlite (gemstone), Primrose Candy Glass (glass), Koi (resin), Cherry (wood)  
    • By Disciple of Sakura
      http://kck.st/2OP1igG

Kobolds Vs. Goblins is a game designed, tested, built and played by my son Max and me (You saw him in the video).  The concept was something we came up with for a contest on The Game Crafter using roll & write mechanics.  What we ended up making was a fast and fun game that can be played by people of any age.  It's quick and easy to learn and setup is as easy as opening the box. 
       Max and I decided that people shouldn't be forced to buy our game just to play it.  So, you are free to download the full color print and play version of the game using this link.   FREE PRINT AND PLAY  (including solo mode) You'll need 6 normal D6 dice and something to mark the paper.  (For prototyping, we used clear cubes, but pencil with eraser will work also)

I'll admit... I have no idea how those of you who share KS from others include all the details and fancy stuff. I clearly didn't do this correctly. Munchkin Metropolis traditionally does woodcrafting, and I've been very satisfied with the quality and production time that's come from my prior interactions with him. Figured I'd try and get the word out about his current KS, which he developed with his son.
    • By PhantomAquarist
      An old D10 adventurer. Tried to make him look like a worn out old die.

• By PhantomAquarist
      Just finished this Reaper figure today! 

• Who's Online   10 Members, 1 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)