Sign in to follow this  
lexomatic

looking for assembly guide for Ziba Efreeti?

I do not understand how this mini is supposed to go together. There is a large hair bulge that is supposed to fit in the hollow of the back. I tried sliding and twisting and cannot get the head to fit on in a dry fit. I cant imagine doing this after painting.  I don't really want to try and paint  and be unable to get into corners. Has anyone posted this anywhere? Things got caught and I see white stress marks on the mini where I had to try and force it off and it makes me super nervous to try anything again.

This is exactly why I would 100 times out of 100 take a poorly glued at the factory mini. It's effectively wasted money for me, because I can't do anything with it.

20200221_200908.jpg

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 1

I'm of no help for assembly, but CAN reassure you that the assembled figure doesn't have any impossible crannies, and only a few challenging nooks (getting to the hair behind her elbows, mostly). 

The roughness of that hair bulge compared with the smooth contours of the hollow makes me think it might be miscast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had an easier time with it after I cut the neck peg down significantly. The hair piece still wants to rub on its way in, but it requires a lot less muscleing and twisting

• Thanks 1

My Aasa came mostly assembled and with only the arm and sword was pretty easy in comparison. I ended up emailing the store to find out if others were assembled and if I could exchange.

Edited by lexomatic

I’d try heating up the pieces in steaming, near-boiling hot water until they are soft, then fit them together.  If you can hold them together until they cool normally, they should keep their fit forever.  (Wear an oven mitten, don’t be a hero.)

I have done this on some of the larger regular Bones minis to get a perfect fit, when they were warped.

If that still doesn’t work, then it’s time to start trimming that neck peg.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Part of the problem is I want to paint before fitting because I wont be able to reach some gaps. I'll have to decide whether to boil or not. I dont really have a great setup for something like this at the moment though

1 hour ago, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

I’d try heating up the pieces in steaming, near-boiling hot water until they are soft, then fit them together.  If you can hold them together until they cool normally, they should keep their fit forever. 

Wait how do you glue stuff like this?

I dont think it would be possible to trim the neck if this doesnt work.

Ugh.

15 minutes ago, lexomatic said:

Part of the problem is I want to paint before fitting because I wont be able to reach some gaps. I'll have to decide whether to boil or not. I dont really have a great setup for something like this at the moment though

You don’t need boiling water or a big pot.  I use a hot water dispenser and an oversized coffee cup.  I’ve also used a blowdryer to heat and soften the pieces.

I just noticed this is a Bones Black figure.  Some other person will have to say if this material responds to heating the same way as the earlier Bones material does.

20 minutes ago, lexomatic said:

Wait how do you glue stuff like this?

Superglue, also known as CA glue.  You also can use a small amount of all-purpose contact adhesive (the kind that smell bad and say “Caution: Flammable”).

2 hours ago, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

Superglue, also known as CA glue.  You also can use a small amount of all-purpose contact adhesive (the kind that smell bad and say “Caution: Flammable”).

Ha. I've been here since 2013.  I meant how do you glue something you've been soaking(softening) to fit. My brain doesn't comprehend the logistics of that. It seems like glue would get everywhere when you're trying to force stuff.

Anyway, the store won't accept exchanges.  At this point I dont know if it's supposed to come assembled, all the photos I've seen showed them assembled in blister, but its effectively garbage for me.

Another question.  Should I do the back skirt panel before the hair?

18 hours ago, Rigel said:

a few challenging nooks (getting to the hair behind her elbows, mostly). 

The roughness of that hair bulge compared with the smooth contours of the hollow makes me think it might be miscast.

It doesnt look in any way miscast. It might be bad lighting /my phone. I was originally trying a dry fit to determine what I should paint before assembly. Right now that doesnt seem doable.

24 minutes ago, lexomatic said:

Ha. I've been here since 2013.  I meant how do you glue something you've been soaking(softening) to fit. My brain doesn't comprehend the logistics of that. It seems like glue would get everywhere when you're trying to force stuff.

Anyway, the store won't accept exchanges.  At this point I dont know if it's supposed to come assembled, all the photos I've seen showed them assembled in blister, but its effectively garbage for me.

Sorry, no offense meant.  Just hold the hot, softened items together until they cool and harden into a shape that fits together.  You shouldn’t have to force them fit while hot.  Then you should be able to take them apart and dry fit them together without problem, because you’ve adjusted their shape.  Glue later.

It might even reduce the stress marks you made from forcing it the first time, because the plastic has a chance to relax.  No guarantee, though.

The pieces will pop right in, if you push them together. I was gonna keep mine separate till I painted her up but I needed anther female efreeti so pushed them together. It's a tight fit but it'll go. Just go at a angle, follow the peg.

• Like 1

I have a few factory-glued efreeti...   

(a monthly giveaway last year)    

Honestly, I'd prefer the unassembled version because they look as if they were put together by the Overhaulin crew(because of the 'panel gaps'), and taking it apart is a pain in the... yeah... 

• Like 4

I had some similar problems with the pre-assembled parts on the Moor Troll and Frost Giant Heroine I just received. The Moor Troll had a huge gap around the neck and the Frost Giant cloak was attached out of position and caused the left arm not to fit in the socket.  I fixed the Troll with some putty but the Frost Giant required some surgery to get her arm to fit.

There's a bit of a trick to getting the head on easily... You have to turn it as you're pushing it on.

Start by putting the head on the neck peg as far as you can - at this point she should be looking straight down at her feet. Then rotate the head so she's looking down at the sword in her right hand - the curve of her shoulder guard should line up against the protruding part of her chest.

Now push up on her forehead while pushing down on the back of her hair, and then twist her body clockwise a bit. It should snap in.

To get the head off again, put your thumbnail against the back of her right hand so you can push on the bottom edge of the hair, and reverse the process, turning her body a bit counterclockwise as you push up on the bottom part of her hair and down on her head.

Once you've put the head on and taken it off a couple times, it should go on much easier.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

There's a bit of a trick to getting the head on easily... You have to turn it as you're pushing it on.

Start by putting the head on the neck peg as far as you can - at this point she should be looking straight down at her feet. Then rotate the head so she's looking down at the sword in her right hand - the curve of her shoulder guard should line up against the protruding part of her chest.

Now push up on her forehead while pushing down on the back of her hair, and then twist her body clockwise a bit. It should snap in.

To get the head off again, put your thumbnail against the back of her right hand so you can push on the bottom edge of the hair, and reverse the process, turning her body a bit counterclockwise as you push up on the bottom part of her hair and down on her head.

Once you've put the head on and taken it off a couple times, it should go on much easier.

Absent a video or in person demonstration... or not to have to deal at all, this is what I was looking for. This still makes my head hurt though.

What parts should I be gluing? At this point I don't really want to do it multiple times, but also not sure I can figure this out fast enough. Worried about my regular glue will set too fast.

• Like 2