Sign in to follow this  
GlenP

Ordnance 6: M4A3E2 Sherman Jumbo

Howdy all,

This is Tamiya's 1/35 scale Sherman Jumbo - a significantly up-armored Sherman tank designed to be at the head of advancing columns and function as an assault tank. Two hundred and fifty-four were built through the spring and summer of 1944 with the first batches hitting the European front in the fall of '44. All were initially armed with a 75mm gun. A number were later converted to the long barrel 76mm gun because it fired a more effective high-velocity anti-tank round. The Sherman Jumbos served through the end of the war in Europe.

Tamiya's kit dates back to 1987 and is based on Tamiya's standard M4A3 Sherman tank issued in the early 80s. Tamiya added a new larger turret, new armor plates for the upper hull sides, and a new glacis plate for the hull front. Unfortunately, they neglected to provide a new and much larger front transmission cover. Numerous reviews have also mentioned the turret shape and size are off, but I've yet to read/hear where it's off or by how much. I spent some time looking over book and interweb pics and the height of the turret might be a bit low. Maybe. I believe the Jumbo is out of production, but the originall M4A3 is still available. Not worry; new, more detailed and more complex Jumbos are available.

I've built a new transmission cover using the old cover as a foundation, then adding sheets and strips of Evergreen .040 plastic to beef it up. The turret height was raised with .030 strips of plastic between the upper and lower turret halves. Additional details were added to the hull and turret - basically anywhere you see white, copper wire, brass, or green putty. I also used a Dremel tool and a small dove-tail cutter to enhance the very prominent hull weld beads. The case transmission cover and the turret sides were coated with liquid glue (in sections) and stippled with a siff wire brush to replicate the cast texture of the real items. You can see the turret texture in the photo.

The pic shows the mocked up upper and lower hull components and the turret, three of the six bogie wheel assemblies (three more on the other side), the mantlet, and turned aluminum gun barrel. Painting next - any color you want as long as it's olive-by-God-drab.

Qs and Cs welcomed; no secrets here...

sherman_jumbo_wip_01.jpg

• Like 12

Some more pics - detail shots of the hull, turret, and the new transmission cover. One final check before I set up the airbrush booth.

sherman_jumbo_wip_03_right_rear.jpg

sherman_jumbo_wip_04_turret_left_front.jpg

sherman_jumbo_wip_05_turret_right_rear.jpg

sherman_jumbo_wip_06_transmission_cover.jpg

sherman_jumbo_wip_02_front_left.jpg

• Like 9

Progress! Hull components and turret sprayed overall with Testor's Model Master enamel Olive Drab. A slightly darker OD was sprayed under the side sponson - the part of hull that hangs over the tracks - and under side of the back of the turret.  A slightly lighter OD was sprayed over the upper surfaces of the hull and turret to depict a degree of sun fading. I've also hand painted the solid rubber roadwheel tires a dark gray. Decals next.

Qs and Cs welcomed.

sherman_jumbo_wip_07_upper+lower_hull+turret.jpg

sherman_jumbo_wip_08_lower_hull_side.jpg

sherman_jumbo_wip_09_upper_hull_side.jpg

sherman_jumbo_wip_10_turret_left_front.jpg

sherman_jumbo_wip_11_turret_right_rear.jpg

• Like 10

Decals!

This kit has been sitting in my stash since the 80s. Yes... it's older than some of you. I wasn't sure about the viability of the decals, but they went on just fine after several applications of Testor's Clear Lacquer-based Glosscoat. That's the dark patchy area under the decals. Decals should always be applied on a glossy surface. The hull side and rear plates only needed two coats, but the front transmission cover and the turret need more due to their rough cast texture. Each layer had to dry before the next layer was applied. That keeps the fresh layer from peeling up the previous layer. Patience...

If you're not familiar with model decals click on this link:

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/73435-ordnance-3-stug-iii-ausf-b-sbs/page/3/&tab=comments#comment-1530623

sherman_jumbo_wip_12_hull+turret_decals_front_left.jpg

sherman_jumbo_wip_13_hull_turret_decals_right_rear.jpg

sherman_jumbo_wip_14_turret_decals_left_side.jpg

• Like 10

I applied the clear flat (Testor's Dullcote) to blend the decals into the paint. Vehicle pinpoint and general washes and drybrushing next. Then I add the vehicle-mounted tools and some other little fiddly-bits.

sherman_jumbo_wip_15_flat_coat_front_left.jpg

sherman_jumbo_wip_16_flat_coat_right_rear.jpg

• Like 7

Progress! Some further assembly and weathering. Some drybrushing, colored and soft drawing pencil scrapes, scratches, and chipping, and staining from dark muddy dirt to lighter dusts. Also added the tools. A few more fiddly bits and some chalk pastels next.

Qs and Cs welcomed.

sherman_jumbo_wip_17_hull_left_front.jpg

sherman_jumbo_wip_18_hull_right_rear.jpg

sherman_jumbo_wip_19_turret_left_front.jpg

sherman_jumbo_wip_20_turret_right_rear.jpg

sherman_jumbo_wip_21_hull+turret_right_rear.jpg

sherman_jumbo_wip_22_hull+turret_left_front.jpg

• Like 10

I remember building this kit when I stayed at my Gmas years ago. Didn’t look half as good as yours!

question about why decals need to go over gloss coat first, is that because of increased surface area for adhesion? And does that apply to custom decals as well?

Loth

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Loth said:

question about why decals need to go over gloss coat first, is that because of increased surface area for adhesion? And does that apply to custom decals as well?

The issue is that with a matte surface under the decal you can get "silvering", which is microscopic bubbles of air trapped between the decal and the surface. The gloss coat is much smoother and allows you to get the clear part of the decal to disappear (usually with the addition of something like Micro Set and/or Micro Sol). Then you can matte/flat coat over the whole thing and the decal won't look any where near as much like a waterslide decal on the surface.

• Like 5

Yup... What Doug said. Flat paints are flat because the paint is rough and scatters light in different directions. It's akin to laying  a sheet over microscopic mountains - the sheet sits on the peaks, while the air is trapped in the valleys. The clear gloss fills in the valleys and goes over the peaks providing a smooth bond for the decal's adhesive. Click on the link in the March 6 post for more info.

Salud.

• Like 6

More weathering and fiddly bits... Bits o' dust and dirt. More scrapes, abrasions, stains, and some greasy bits on the engine deck screens and the rear engine access door (which you can't see here). A.50cal MG has to fitted to the turret roof and spared track links and a stowage rack on the rear hull plate. I also test fitted the main gun - a long-barreled 76mm piece firing a hyper-velocity anti-tank round. The gun is and aftermarket turned aluminum piece. It, and the three brush guards on the front hull hatches and the turret roof, are the only aftermarket pieces on the model. Everything else is plastic or brass sheet, strip, rod, or tube.

sherman_jumbo_wip_23_turret+hull_left_front.jpg

sherman_jumbo_wip_24_turret+hull_right_rear.jpg

sherman_jumbo_wip_25_turret+hull_right_rear_above.jpg

• Like 10

Aaaaand, we're done! I've added the .50 cal MG, the rear exhaust diffuser (the grill thing) and stowage rack and a few more scrapes and scratches, dusty washes, and chalks. I'm thinking April 1945 here and few dry days, so no mud packed into the running gear. It's also devoid of stowage, which I prefer, but may add later. Maybe...

Qs and Cs welcomed.

sherman_jumbo_wip_26_left_front.jpg

sherman_jumbo_wip_27_right_side.jpg

sherman_jumbo_wip_28_left_above.jpg

sherman_jumbo_wip_29_bow_left_above.jpg

sherman_jumbo_wip_30_engine_deck_right_above.jpg

sherman_jumbo_wip_31_rear.jpg

sherman_jumbo_wip_32_hull_weld_beads.jpg

sherman_jumbo_wip_33_above.jpg

• Like 6

Sherman with no stowage, I’m not sure that’s allowed. Nice work Glen.

Edited by Heisler
  • Haha 4