Some POSSIBLE Basing/Vignette Classes at Reaper Con 2020

I've never taught a basing class, but feedback on various projects, plus questions online and conversations at RC last year, sparked several ideas. So, the following rough draft/overviews are some possible, hands-on classes for RC2020:

Basing 101 - an intro to basing tabletop & RPG minis. Brief demo on working with integral bases and tab/slot, different types of plastic gaming bases, and the basics of drill/pin, putty, and glue. Hands-on the rest of the way, getting a mini mounted, add materials, ready to paint. A small take-home kit with sample materials and a handout to reinforce most of the class, list sources of tools & materials, and expand on some things we can't cover in under two hours.

Scenic/Vignette Basing - PART 1 - more of an intermediate-level class, assuming students are familiar with the tools and concepts but want to 'level up' a bit. Hands-on work through building up a base with bits, putty, and several materials to set the scene for a character or creature mini. (Haven't quite made up my mind on which direction, yet, this being just the rough draft stage.) Probably no hand-out for this one, unless it's a list of sources for tools & materials. For those signed up for Part 2, I would hold the mini for putty curing, then prime and maybe paint/wash the groundwork, and bring it back to them for Part 2.

Scenic/Vignette Basing - PART 2 - Painting and finishing with special effects: realistic snow/slush/mud. I would provide the paints and materials, and the mini from Part 1. For those who missed part 1 or have a WIP on hand and want to apply the effects & paint to it, that would be okay, too. I might provide a random plastic base with some 'ground' on it, make sure all students have something to work on in class.

Fundamentals of Diorama Design - this one is very much a vague idea, tossed out here to gauge interest. I think this would be more lecture/demo class, possibly co-hosted with another instructor, if scheduling permits. We would go through the thought process from sketch, composition, structure, scenic elements, telling a story in a small space. By working with two instructors, students would get variations on approach, different perspectives.

So, what do you think?

• Like 3
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Among other techniques, basing is one area that I am struggling the most. Having a more hands on class, I think would be very beneficial, at least from my point of view. Then the info might actually stick in the brain.

56 minutes ago, GreyHorde said:

Basing 101 - an intro to basing tabletop & RPG minis. Brief demo on working with integral bases and tab/slot, different types of plastic gaming bases, and the basics of drill/pin, putty, and glue. Hands-on the rest of the way, getting a mini mounted, add materials, ready to paint. A small take-home kit with sample materials and a handout to reinforce most of the class, list sources of tools & materials, and expand on some things we can't cover in under two hours.

I have taken a basic basing class from Bob & Julie, but it was all lecture, showing off different materials that can be used, but I really didn't retain much since I couldn't conceptualize how they items were actually used. Having a more hands on class would be very helpful.

56 minutes ago, GreyHorde said:

Fundamentals of Diorama Design - this one is very much a vague idea, tossed out here to gauge interest. I think this would be more lecture/demo class, possibly co-hosted with another instructor, if scheduling permits. We would go through the thought process from sketch, composition, structure, scenic elements, telling a story in a small space. By working with two instructors, students would get variations on approach, different perspectives.

@Rainbow Sculptor has also done a Composition class in relation to Diorama building that was very informative, but again is was lecture only, but the handouts were good, and the information was presented quite well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, GreyHorde said:

I've never taught a basing class, but feedback on various projects, plus questions online and conversations at RC last year, sparked several ideas. So, the following rough draft/overviews are some possible, hands-on classes for RC2020:

Useful, I suspect, but I think that hands-on should dominate. Recommend examples of sculpting both man made (wood planks or tile, walls, furniture for instance) and outdoor (rocks and weeds, logs, whatever) bases. Other topics could include how to use pre-cast bases without the mini looking like it's floating.

Scenic/Vignette Basing - PART 1 - more of an intermediate-level class, assuming students are familiar with the tools and concepts but want to 'level up' a bit. Hands-on work through building up a base with bits, putty, and several materials to set the scene for a character or creature mini. (Haven't quite made up my mind on which direction, yet, this being just the rough draft stage.) Probably no hand-out for this one, unless it's a list of sources for tools & materials. For those signed up for Part 2, I would hold the mini for putty curing, then prime and maybe paint/wash the groundwork, and bring it back to them for Part 2.

Scenic/Vignette Basing - PART 2 - Painting and finishing with special effects: realistic snow/slush/mud. I would provide the paints and materials, and the mini from Part 1. For those who missed part 1 or have a WIP on hand and want to apply the effects & paint to it, that would be okay, too. I might provide a random plastic base with some 'ground' on it, make sure all students have something to work on in class.

I wouldn't try an "intermediate painting" class that intended to teach NMM, OSL, eyes, cloth textures, and facial expressions. Similarly, I'm not sure these work if you try too much of a survey approach. I think that something more focused would be better, so perhaps swamp bases, forest bases, town bases, dungeon bases, or whatever.

So, what do you think?

Good idea for a class. I'd consider getting a bunch of random-ish Bones minis and some bases of various sizes, spending a few minutes allowing each student to pick some and arrange/sketch a scene, then discussing each design individually with an eye to improving the result by using composition principles. (Composition is hard to discuss profitably in the abstract, and giving the students something to play with might increase engagement.) Consider discussing the concepts of dynamic imbalance, leading lines, golden ratio, tight composition, etc.

I wish I'd thought of that class. ::D:

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, OmenKitten said:

It looks like there may be availability to help teach it! Lol

I think I have a full slate of classes to teach (and there are probably better people to teach this than me anyway). Which is not to say that I wouldn't help out if asked, just that I probably wouldn't be anyone's first choice.

13 minutes ago, OmenKitten said:

i love all of these ideas

im somewhere between Basing and Scenic, would you recommend not selecting Scenic?

If/when the class offering is made, I'd recommend reading the descriptions and making the decision then. If the class sounds like it would be a good fit for your interests and current abilities, I'd jump on it, since @GreyHorde is a very good teacher and the classes he ends up teaching will likely be focused and useful. My comments were more in the nature of helping (perhaps) to refine the focus.

To be fair, that would be a bit of "refine the focus to the class I would like" rather than the class that would be the best to offer, so be aware of that.

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, OmenKitten said:

As a side note, does anyone have an anticipation for how soon registration will be released?

Last year class tickets went live (available for purchase) June 8th.  

• Thanks 1