Sign in to follow this  
SisterMaryNapalm

Let's Present: Forge World DKoK miniatures

You captured the dark gritty look of the DKoK perfectly!

The basing really complements the minis.

Which colour did you use for the gasmasks?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Iridil said:

Nice subdued, gritty colors while keeping details distinct.

23 hours ago, Lostraven said:

I like the subdued pallet. It reminds me of the muted tones in Band of Brothers or Saving Pvt Ryan.

On 2/25/2020 at 9:28 PM, Glitterwolf said:

You captured the dark gritty look of the DKoK perfectly!

Yeah. It came more as an accident than a planned thing. But that's okay. It's fitting.

The basing really complements the minis.

Well - there's not much variation in a burned down, totally destroyed city. So I think it's quite fitting.

Which colour did you use for the gasmasks?

VMC German Camo Beige as base, and in mixture with a little white for the highlights and then a Agrax Earthshade as a wash. Nothing really serious.

A dark grey for the eyes, light grey for the "highlights" and then a wash using blue wash first and then a green wash.

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

VMC German Camo Beige as base, and in mixture with a little white for the highlights and then a Agrax Earthshade as a wash. Nothing really serious.

A dark grey for the eyes, light grey for the "highlights" and then a wash using blue wash first and then a green wash.

Thx, usually I see brown or black gasmasks on minis like this.

I find the colours you used refreshing and it breaks down the darker look just enough to stand out.

Great choice as far as I'm concerned.

I hope the recipient will like them, I would be happy with an army looking like that.

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2020 at 8:09 AM, Glitterwolf said:

I hope the recipient will like them, I would be happy with an army looking like that.

He did. More to come

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

He did. More to come

Awesome!

Will there also be vehicles/heavy weaponry?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

It's the DKoK, isn't it?

Looking forward to it!

image.png.4c492bbd87858fe1b737d83565bc4dfe.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Love the weathering on the FLAK...it looks like it's seen several near-misses in a dusty, ash-choked hellscape. And those soldiers are bleak and distressed in a great forever-war way. 
(I'm also looking forward to the armored Krupp-looking mortars you have coming up.) 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SisterMaryNapalm
      Yes! We can do it again! Let's make a tank! Let's make a beautiful tank!

Once again, it's a diorama project based on a game scene, once again, it's Combat Mission.

In this particular diorama, the commander of a Panzer III M is a reallylucky  person. In a shootout during the Let's Play of German wargaming channel "TaktikfuchsTV", his Panzer III got hit around 20-25 times, prompting everyone to believe that this particular tank was dead. And I mean ... DEAD!

But to everyone's surprise, the crew reentered the vehicle and drove away - going like:

Here's the scene:

Kauder reenters his tank (In German)

So I got me a commanders figure and a tank ...

First off, some pictures to see what this project will look like:

So I got me a Panzer III from Tamiya and started to do some minor conversions ... and over the course of one afternoon, this vehicle was finished.

I am really proud of those selfmade smoke launchers.

The vehicle will be displayed with open hatches. That's a challenge due to the really lame interior, but that's not a problem. I'll use colors to make the less detailed parts dark and the detailed parts white - I hope that will work!

Tomorrow I'll go over the armor and do the shell damages. The only thing I am not certain about is the frontal armor provided by the spare tracks.
      I don't know how those look when they are hit. They are pretty massive and I simply cannot imagine them looking the same way as a normal armor plate when hit.

I've got to dig deeper into it.
    • By SisterMaryNapalm
      And here we go again. I never get tired trying out new stuff and doing multiple projects at the same time.

The idea for this one approached me when I watched a Let's Play series by German Let's Player "DerHobbygeneral", who playes complex strategy games on PC.

That certain series was a mission in the strategy game "Combat Mission: Red Thunder", a game set on the Eastern Front of WWII. The mission is the recreation of the tank battle between German and Russian forces in the opening hours of Operation Bagration, the Soviet 1944 summer offensive that managed to crush the German Central Army and push the Germans back to the borders of East Prussia.

Combat Mission itself is a really complex game, simulating not only realistic projectile trajectories, armor and penetration calculation, but also randomly generating names for unit leaders and therefore emotionally connecting the player to his - or her - units.

One of these commanders was Unterfeldwebel Austermann, commandeering a Kpfw V Panther A, and throughout the game one of the main factors in stopping the Soviet tank assault at Studienka. The player and all commentators remarked on his excellent performance in the game and he became something like a meme. There were even suggestions of making a compilation of his best actions as some kind of memorial service in case he bit the dust.

And actually, a few episodes later, the Panther got hit a couple of times and was rendered inoperable. A shell even penetrated the front armor. While the battle for Studienka was raging, everyone focused on the question if Austermann and his crew would survive. And they did! What a remarkable turn in events! But I felt bad for the Panther, which was left behind.

Here's the scene - it's in German, unfortunately.

https://youtu.be/EJfQAVfhEoc?list=PLa3dxHLq2CvZBNhkqqaTX7jvSe7iOUjTj&t=752

Then it struck me that maybe Austerman felt bad, too, and when I saw a certain figure on a miniature shop website, I KNEW I was going to make a diorama about it. So I bought a couple of figures and a cheap old Panther A kit and ... now I am on a new project again - YAY!

I haven't decided which crew I take. I like both sets, but I guess I will go with the Dragon set. The other set can be used for a different project. But I guess, I will see once the overall layout is set.

Let's go!
    • By SisterMaryNapalm
      This thread is something ... different from other works I have been done.

I guess it's not entirely in accordance to the board rules, so you may forgive me and accept my humble bundle of roses, choclate and other stuff that will easy your severely upset minds.

When I am in the mood, I am doing so many speed builds up to the point of painting (means assembly, basing and priming), that making them all into different threads I would flood the forum with an unnecessary number of threads.

So I will keep this limited to the building process of my different tabletop figures, armies and stuff and transfer the finished figures to their respective painting threads.

What's on the table at the moment?

Watchful I Studios

28mm Chinese Army Deal (around 100 figures and equipment)

Warlord Games

56 Soviet Russians (winter) (making M into F)

Raging Heroes

Sisters of Eternal Mercy: 10x Sisters and 10 Flying Sister plus some support units

Andrea Miniatures

1x Female Warrior (upgrading her to be a Chinese Warrior Woman)

Creature Caster

1x Tree Walker

Flames of War

Fallschirmjäger-Kompanie + Support Weapons
      4x Battlefront StuG 3G
      1x Plastic Soldier Company StuG 3G

Corvus Belli

A lot of Aleph miniatures

What's done and ready to be painted?

Flames of War

1x Fallschirmjäger-Zug (9 units)
      1x Fallschirmjäger Kompanieführung (HQ) - different Units and support weapons.

Warlord Games

- 18 German Fallschirmjäger
      - 10 German Panzergrenadiere

Mantic Games:

Kings of War Succubi Regiment (20 Succubi)

CP Models:

Diana

Andrea Miniatures

1x Female Paladin
      1x Naga Warrior
      1x Gunmaid

Corvus Belli

Some Aleph miniatures

Watchful I Studios

28mm Chinese Army Deal (15 figures)
    • By SisterMaryNapalm
      And I am done. One day before I'll leave for Japan, the small diorama is finished. Find the WIP ->here<-

As always, the whole "competition" consisted of a painting and a small text. I tried to translate the original text to English, so if there are mistakes ( I am sure there will be) feel free to correct me.

Once again, I had my troubles, and I am not satisfied with the faces and my overall painting style - but ... some progress at least.

Enjoy the pictures, feel free to comment, but - as always: If you have got nothing else to say than "nice" or "good", leave a like instead.
      I take the like as a nod to my participation in this forum, but a "nice" is getting me nowhere.

DEATH ON THE ROAD   "Grandfather,"; Susan said in a stern voice that sounded both accusing and demanding. "Would you tell me what you're doing here?"
      The skeleton in front of her, wrapped in a night black robe, halted his two-wheeled vehicle, magically composed of stones, bones and all sorts of other utensils, and placed one of his bony feet on the ground.
      "IT IS A . . . TRAVEL", Death clarified, nodding as if he wanted to add weight to his statement. "WITH BAG AND BAGGAGE."
      The fact that he did not speak, but that his voice manifested itself in Susan's mind like an existing being, couldn't drive away the confusing thoughts swirling in her mind.
      "Grandfather"; she noted after looking at the rear shelf of the magic two-wheeler and discovering that it consisted of a series of large feathers, the sole purpose of which was to hide the magic underneath from the watchful eyes of reality, "but you did not take anything with you."
      Death followed her gaze, then he pondered for a while. Finally he shrugged his shoulders - which looked quite unique under the leather jacket thrown over his frock. "I TRAVEL WITH LIGHT LUGGAGE. YOU KNOW, I DON'T NEED MUCH."
      That didn't impress Susan, either. "And what's the purpose of the rose?"; she asked, pointing to the little plant that was stuck between his teeth caught in a scary smile.
      "THE ROSE IS A SYMBOL FOR ROMANCE"; Deaths voice continued in her head. "AND THE SELLER TOLD ME, THIS . . .  VEHICLE IS LIKE AN EXPRESSION OF ROMANCE, AS WELL."
      Susan sighed. "And you thought that doing it this way would bring you closer to the mood?". Her voice changed back to that of a governess. "Grandfather, don't you think you're exaggerating?"
      "NO, WHY?"
      "You are Death. The Grim Reaper." She waved her arms. "You walk around with your scythe and an hourglass and separate the souls of the dead from their bodies. You can't just take a vacation. Not even for what you call 'a road tour'."
      "JUST FOR A WHILE. IT'S A ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME-CHANCE", Death returned. It almost sounded pleading. Of course, that was nonsense. Death was the end.. Neither did he need a once-in-a-lifetime chance, nor did he need 'a while'.
      Sometimes, however, Susan wanted it think, that there was more behind his bluish glowing eyes than a  . . .  what did he call it? Oh yes: anthromorphic personification. Like he was . . .  mortal. Affected by all those flaws, desires and dreams that also drove her around.
      "WHICH REMINDS ME", Death interrupted her thoughts, letting his scythe appear in his bone hand. "THIS WILL HINDER MY STEERING. COULD YOU HOLD IT FOR ME FOR A WHILE?"
      Before thinking, the girl accepted the cutting tool she had been given and looked at the bluish shimmering blade. "Grandfather"; she began again, this time much more hesitantly.
      "WELL THEN"; Death said as if he hadn't heard her words. "I'LL BE BACK SOON."
      Following these words his wondrously soundlessly booming vehicle sprang to life. He drove off.
      Susan looked after him for a while until she felt a movement in her leg.
      The Death of rats looked up to her, a miniature scythe in his small, bony paws. Loud, incomprehensible squeaking echoed across the plain.
      It wasn't long before a feathered shadow landed in the trees off the cobbled road Susan had met her grandfather on.
      Quoth, the raven, constant companion of the Death of rats and sometimes also its translator, bent down from the branches and began translating. "You have his scythe, therefore you must also fulfill his duty!"
      Susan looked up and realized. She turned around. "Grandfather!"
      In the distance, the sound of Death's silent vehicle faded.

• By SisterMaryNapalm
      And now for something completely different. Normally, I post figures (or I rather try to post some figures), but this time, it's a bit bigger.

My "longtime" WIP is done (you can find her in my "Speed-build"-Thread. Check out ->here<-)

This project started as a commission. A colleague of mine was in the navy back in the days, and she was on board of the Karlsruhe when the vessel still was in service.
      When she left the ship, her comrades gifted her a model - but, as she is no model builder, the box was laying beneath some shelves never to be assembled - that is, until my colleague found out I had done model kit assembly for like 20 years or so.

So she gave her precious kit to me - and I foolishly took it, believing the vessel and I could make love, not war. The kit intended otherwise though  and that made my journey a rough voyage.

When I started in February 2018, I didn't believe it would be a ride like this. I fought my way through glue, colors, sweat, tears and blood (literally).
      I think up to this date, this was THE most difficult kit I ever had to make. This old lady by far resisted every building step I made - and even after finishing her I had so many problems holding her together that I am glad I am done now.

Anyways - it was a great experience and I learned a lot of things - especially regarding weathering and diorama building and I value what I learned.

Thanks to everyone who followed my building progress and commented. I guess I wouldn't have finished her otherwise.

Enjoy the pictures:

• Who's Online   18 Members, 1 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)