Sign in to follow this  
GlenP

Summoning the Dragon I

On top of the Sherman Jumbo, I have a new project. This is Frozen Ninja 3D's resin bust of a cloaked gal holding a small flaming dragon. I picked it up ReaperCon last fall.

There are four parts: a base, a robed torsos, a hooded head, and a pair of arms holding the dragon. Over the casting was good, but there were some issues with the resin sheaving (splitting off in layers) in the arms and the underside of the torso. These were sanded down, the given a layer of putty, then further sanded down. You can see the putty in the pics.

I also hollowed out the sleeves and a portion of the hood. These were filled in almost to the opening. I used a Dremel tool and ball cutters to hollow them out and tried to match the inside with the exterior folds.

One unique (to me) thing is the base; there is a two-leve' base with some symbols on it, and small stone house built on top of that. The roof structure is built into the torso's back. It sure beats the usual brass rod...

Pics are where I'm at so far.

Qs and Cs welcomed.

dragon_mama01_all_parts.jpg

dragon_mama02_hands+dragon.jpg

dragon_mama03_torso.jpg

dragon_mama03a_torso_rear.jpg

dragon_mama04_head.jpg

dragon_mama05_base.jpg

dragon_mama06_base+torso_rear.jpg

dragon_mama07_mock-up_left_front.jpg

dragon_mama08_mock-up_right_front.jpg

• Like 15

Thanks. It's a nice piece. I forgot to mention that it's a skosh over 3.25" tall from base to the top of the head. The box says it's 75mm.

• Like 1

I've primed the pieces, so now instead of being gray resin, they are coated with gray primer. Progress.

I've also added some small bits to the base: a welcome mat at the end of the steps and a BBQ grill off to the side. To me, it just seems that dragons and BBQ go together...

dragon_mama09_base_matt+bbq_grill.jpg

dragon_mama10_base_matt+bbq_grill.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Standifer, so we're talking cajun...?

Eyes in progress. I went with blue. The eyes seem a bit large - like they're walking into anime/manga territory. There's also large stylized eyelashes on her left eye. At least I think they're eyelashes... The lashes on the right eye are covered by the hair. The eye liner and lashes will get trimmed and cleaned up when I start the flesh tones.

dragon_mama11_eyes_in_progress.jpg

• Like 11

Progress! Hair, face, peachy-pink lipstick, same color as a glaze for the blush. Still working the eyes - trying to get them looking straight at the dragon she's holding in her hands. Touch-ups needed where skin meets hair...

One thing I noticed is that the eyes seem a bit large. Not quite anime/manga, but getting there. Additionally, her left eye and socket appears to be rotated back at the top. Also the area under the jaw at her throat had a casting flaw. It's not visible unless you look under her chin.

Pressing on.

dragon_mama12_face+hair_in_progress.jpg

• Like 13

Really neat model! You've mentioned how big the eyes look, I think the thickness of the eyeliner effect you have is contributing to that.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress!

• Like 2

Sorry for the double-post (I haven't read any rules specifically against it, but remember it as bad form from years past), I just wanted to add that the hair tone/colors are great! How did you achieve that? I have a D&D character I need to paint, and I've been putting it off partly due to his hair and not knowing how to approach it. Thanks!

Aussie

• Like 2

On 3/17/2020 at 10:52 PM, GlenP said:

Standifer, so we're talking cajun...?

Maybe... Though there is this stirfry called Dragons breath that he could be cooking.......

Looking good!

• Like 2

On 3/22/2020 at 7:24 PM, AussieAusborn said:

Really neat model! You've mentioned how big the eyes look, I think the thickness of the eyeliner effect you have is contributing to that.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress!

I would agree; which is why I thinned the lower lash line right after I posted the pic. Great minds think alike... The upper lash is a bit more problematic. If you look at the face close-up in the first batch of pics you can see the upper 'lash' is a large zig-zag shape. I'm still not totally sure if this represents lashes or something else. I lean towards the former, so it was painted as such. Remember, one of the purposes behind eye makeup is to make the eyes bigger. Maybe in the this case, a bit too big...

As for the hair color; it's the basic Carrot Top triad + Fire Orange (appropriate, think) + Linen White. For the most part, red hair can range from dark auburn ( red-brown) down to bright orange with final lights being near white. You can start with pretty much any dark red-brown and work up to light oranges, yellows, and warm whites. It's a fantasy piece, so there's no rules. Google (images) red hair and you'll what I mean. My take anyway...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've mocked up the figure so I could work on the house. It's a brown stone... I've fixed the face (pics later) and started to paint her dress/cowl. It's a bit catch-as-catch can. Good weather means yardwork and I ain't gettin' any younger...

dragon_mama13_house_part_rear.jpg

dragon_mama14_house_right_rear.jpg

dragon_mama15_house_main_door.jpg

• Like 7

Some progress. I've painted the dress and hood a blue-green - complement to the red-orange hair. The neckline and hood have silver stripes on the, but they're not readily apparent here. The dragon is painted a dark violet - a second split complement/triad to the dress color.  The fire surrounding the dragon is basically a mix of Adamantium (a metallic black) and Blackened Steel, while the flame tips are Scorched Metal darkened with more Adamantium. It's what I'm calling Black Fire. Black Fire casts little light. I have my reasons... the box art shows the dragon bathed in green fire. The entire front of the figure is then bathed in the green light. I thought it was a bit of OSL overkill since everything was green... a well done green, but I wanted some color in there. Hence, a non-OSL generating Black Fire.

More to follow.

Stay safe and well.

dragon_mama16_front_painted.jpg

dragon_mama17_rear_painted.jpg

dragon_mama18_dragon_front.jpg

dragon_mama19_dragon_rear.jpg

• Like 8