Jump to content

Maledrakh's B4Core #12 Giant Wererat aka Rat Ogre


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

    • By jadeite
      A huge number of modular Skaven/Ratkin models for 3d printing. The EB gets you 200 files for 30€.
    • By R2ED
      Well, this is it.  This is my best one so far.  Feeling pretty proud of how he came out.  
      I give big kudos to Vince Venurella for the YouTube video he put up on basing with a sewer theme.  Have me huge inspiration and i took many elements from his video.  
      Thanks to @Hibouand @billeecats for the push in the right direction (and the rest of the paint club, too).
      Here he is, my finished wererat. 

      Top down

      Early stage of drying

      about 1/2 way complete

    • By R2ED
      Oh man!  What a HUGE jump forward for me.  I NAILED CONTRAST!
      Taking another one out of the bin from Bones 4 to prepare myself for the unyielding amount of Bones 5 that I'm hoping will be coming soon, I pulled this guy out.  
      Looking at the body type, details and such, I had a relatively close idea in my mind of flesh tone vs. gray fur.  This guy came out way better than I expected.
      * Starting again with the dry brushing and going with a particular order of operations: Skin, Tail, Fur, Face, Accessories, and Eyes.  It worked spectacularly.  I often find I'm overlapping another area when I'm painting and end up having to fix something.  This dry brush technique allowed for good overlap and less mistakes (or less I could spot).
      *  The Skin color of Burnt Red to Buff to Flat Flesh was a solid combo.  I will use this one again.  
      *  I then did the fur from Neutral Gray up to Sky Gray and even using a little of the white mixed in to lighten it up near the face and crest of the back. 
      *  I learned a new trick thank to Eons of Battle on YouTube about using matte medium to blend in.  HOLY COW!  WORKS LIKE A CHARM!  LOVE this method.
      *  Finding the highlights with the drybrush applied and seeing which spots lightened each time helped me identify even better than if I zenithal primed it.  This is wonderful for me as it's been a major challenge.
      *  Lastly, the metallics.  I've been making the mistake of laying a full on metallic layer down, then trying to darken it with wash or another color, but again it was dry brush to the win.  Use it to make the transition subtle and then go for brightening it up.  The chain area and pieces on his belt really highlight this effect well.  I've been struggling with dry brushing for a long time, but for some reason all the sudden it just clicked!
      *  The color on his nails isn't my favorite.  I was going for a "I've been in the sewer for a while" look, but I'm not sure that brown/orange works?
      *  Eyes could have been something more.  I just went with black and white dot for gleam, but again, maybe something more yellow and menacing.  They are insanely small and wouldn't have been easy anyway.  
      *  The fur color needs something else.  I was thinking to dirty it up (kind of like how I did the rear-end area), but then again I felt if I did it may have taken away from the work rather than added to it.
      *  The highlights and contrast are still a new thing for me and in a few spots these are SUPER bold.  I took my time with them, really went slowly and placed them well, but there's still some spots I couldn't gone lighter in.  
      *  I may have lost my concentration for a second and overdid the drybrush on the chain at his hip.  Now he's got sparkly fur in a spot, but I went back to hide it.  I'm hoping it stays hidden.  I would hate for the other warerats to go, "Bob, you uh putting on glitter again?"  
      *  lastly - the mouth.  I am using this brown/purple/pink combo that I like, but the recesses are really, really dark.  I may need to find a lighter color I can bring that tone up with a bit.  
      All in all, this is another really big win for me.  Adjusting to a new means of painting, starting with drybrushing and not leaning on washes is a really big deal.  I had been looking for a pick-me-up in my painting and the Griffon I did last week really launched me in this direction.  Hooray!





    • By Maledrakh
      I have been slightly less of a workaholic in May than in April, so I have been able to do some quartely challenges as well as the monthlies. I am probably not going to be able to paint anything else this month, so here goes.
      These were all painted for the Reaper challenge league May, and again, squeezed in between work. So, low effort speed painting is the key. which also shows that is it possible to get quite decent results in a short time as long as you accept there will be some rough bits.
      there are some pictures below
    • By Maledrakh
      At the Twee of Wuv

      A simple diorama for the Reaper Challenge League
      44131 Tree of Despair with the 77546 Barbarian Mouslings
  • Who's Online   7 Members, 1 Anonymous, 29 Guests (See full list)

  • Create New...