Sign in to follow this  
Corporea

Having a Healthy Convention Season

A note on "getting checked out".

There is an Urgent Care Facility a couple of miles south of the Embassy Suites off of I-35.  On the east side of the freeway, sorry I can't remember which exit, perhaps one of the locals can fill in that information.

I happen to have this bit of information due to SWMBO having an electrolyte imbalance issue that put her in the nearby hospital for two days at the end of ReaperCon 2019.

We are taking measures to see that there is not a similar incident this year.

Advice to all:

Stay hydrated.

Stay fed.

Stay on schedule with any meds you may be on.

If you regularly take nutritional supplements keep on your regular daily regimen.

As a preventative against Con Crud, step up your Vitamin C intake and consider adding either Zinc or a Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc supplement.  Airborne contains a lot of good anti-crud nutritional.  I stress the Zinc because that in combination with enough Vitamin C is inimical to most common cold type bugs.

When you start stepping up your intake of defensive nutritionals  prior to a Con you need to start a couple of weeks before hand in order to have your immune system functioning at top efficiency by the time you begin your travels.

Just some advice from "an old campaigner".

GEM

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Corporea said:

At any rate, there are a few general tips I'd like to share. Because I despise icky nasty things like the flu, and would like everyone to stay safe.

1. So, if you're sick, stay home.  I love seeing all my peeps, but I know Reaper also has a fantastic refund policy. If you truly are sick sick sick, show your love of your fellow gamers and hobbyists and sit this one out. I always tell my patients that the reason I get my flu shot every year is not so I don't get the flu, but so I don't give it to them and kill them off.

Seriously.  Because there were two groups of sick people after last year's con. Those who got food poisoning at Houlihan's, and those of us who caught the bug that someone brought with them to the con.  Don't be that person this year. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Speaking of which, I'm the Registrar for a national hobby convention, in this case -- amateur astronomy,  which is scheduled for July.  Also to be held in an Embassy Suites.  The Convention moves around the country each year.  At this point registrations for the convention have dropped off to nothing, so our room night minimum requirement appears unlikely to be met.  We are considering simply moving the 2020 convention to 2021, if we can negotiate that with the Embassy Suites.    We've had our first speaker cancel and vendors are now telling us they won't commit.  We have to make a decision now, since we cannot afford to wait until May or June to decide.

There are four other events I had planned to attend this summer/fall.  Two, scheduled for April and June, have been cancelled.  This morning, I cancelled my hotel reservations for the April event.  Two others, scheduled for July and August, are assuming that things will have returned to normal.  I have doubts about the July event -- a national chess tournament (every local, regional, and national chess tournament scheduled through May or so has has been cancelled).

Reapercon seems to be in a "wait and see" mode.  I certainly hope that things have settled down -- ReaperCon is about the only thing left on my schedule for this year -- and it is the jewel event.

• Like 7

With it having been announced today [April17th] that ComicCon is cancelled things are looking more and more like a wipe out for most of the major conventions this year.

With infection rates in the Dallas-Fort Worth area running near to those in San Diego, can our beloved ReaperCon be soon to fall for this year?

Or will there be enough in the way of treatments, protocols to ward off the dreaded virus available in time for ReaperCon to go off on schedule?

As mentioned elsewhere, we've reached the point where Con-Crud can kill this year.

GEM

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

With it having been announced today [April17th] that ComicCon is cancelled things are looking more and more like a wipe out for most of the major conventions this year.

With infection rates in the Dallas-Fort Worth area running near to those in San Diego, can our beloved ReaperCon be soon to fall for this year?

Or will there be enough in the way of treatments, protocols to ward off the dreaded virus available in time for ReaperCon to go off on schedule?

As mentioned elsewhere, we've reached the point where Con-Crud can kill this year.

GEM

Maybe masks in the Swag bags? :unsure:   And, "painting" gloves?

There is an Apiary thread where there are attempts to sort fact from fictions. Can kill? Might kill? Dallas Fire and Rescue reported 12 confirmed (with a test) cases in their ranks this evening: 

4 of 12 recovered (cases resolved);

remaining 8 of the 12 experiencing mild or moderate symptoms and battling the virus;

61 others quarantined due to potential exposure to the 12 or other exposure incidents.

So, if a person is as healthy as a firefighter / paramedic the risk may only be a sickness lasting a couple of weeks?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, TGP said:

Maybe masks in the Swag bags? :unsure:   And, "painting" gloves?

There is an Apiary thread where there are attempts to sort fact from fictions. Can kill? Might kill? Dallas Fire and Rescue reported 12 confirmed (with a test) cases in their ranks this evening: 

4 of 12 recovered (cases resolved);

remaining 8 of the 12 experiencing mild or moderate symptoms and battling the virus;

61 others quarantined due to potential exposure to the 12 or other exposure incidents.

So, if a person is as healthy as a firefighter / paramedic the risk may only be a sickness lasting a couple of weeks?

I suspect most of us who paint for a hobby are not in the same physical condition as firefighters or paramedics.

In fact, a lot of us are, to put not to delicate a label on it, "couch potatoes".  And I'm raising my hand as that being a fairly accurate description as I don't get anywhere near the exercise that I should.

I know that until there is a well documented preventative out there, which is a best hope in the interim as it will be a year to a year and a half before there is any sort of vaccine available,  convention attendance is extremely iffy for both SWMBO and myself.  Which is sad for us as we both have had an extremely fun time at ReaperCon.

GEM

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I suspect most of us who paint for a hobby are not in the same physical condition as firefighters or paramedics.

Well, I am certainly not and I know that you are not. We met in front of @TaleSpinner 's workstation on Artist Row last year. So, yeah.

The great unknown is: how many of the total DF&R force (1,975 - 2,000 personnel) have been exposed unbeknownst to them, and have shrugged off this particular Corona virus, with no noticeable symptoms?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, TGP said:

Well, I am certainly not and I know that you are not. We met in front of @TaleSpinner 's workstation on Artist Row last year. So, yeah.

The great unknown is: how many of the total DF&R force (1,975 - 2,000 personnel) have been exposed unbeknownst to them, and have shrugged off this particular Corona virus, with no noticeable symptoms?

Yeah.  You know the situation I'm in.  I do keep trying to push my limits, and I'm actually in better shape today than our first year attending ReaperCon.  Even though 70 is in the rear view mirror.

From what I've been able to glean from a ton of reading of reports on areas with extensive testing going on it seems that the infections are producing serious enough cases to require hospitalization in 15% to 25% of cases.  If that number holds true going forward then there are more people out there who have had a mild case and recovered than health officials are willing to admit to.  I'm really hoping that this is the case.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Yeah.  You know the situation I'm in.  I do keep trying to push my limits, and I'm actually in better shape today than our first year attending ReaperCon.  Even though 70 is in the rear view mirror.

From what I've been able to glean from a ton of reading of reports on areas with extensive testing going on it seems that the infections are producing serious enough cases to require hospitalization in 15% to 25% of cases.  If that number holds true going forward then there are more people out there who have had a mild case and recovered than health officials are willing to admit to.  I'm really hoping that this is the case.

What is disconcerting is that there are some initial signs that a lot more people have it than we know.  They are just asymptomatic.  There was a cluster of cases at a homeless shelter in Boston, so they tested everyone there.  Of the 397 people tested, 146 tested positive, however none of them showed any symptoms. https://www.boston25news.com/news/cdc-reviewing-stunning-universal-testing-results-boston-homeless-shelter/Z253TFBO6RG4HCUAARBO4YWO64/  Makes me wonder how many other people are walking around spreading it.

• Like 3

I don't really use Facebook much, but I posted this a few weeks ago to attempt to explain social distancing and what it means to "flatten the curve."  These are my personal views, and I am not affiliated with Reaper, so if they are upsetting, please blame me, not the awesome folks who run Reapercon. 

If you think about viruses from an evolutionary standpoint, they are no different than any other organism.  They have a drive to reproduce and spread.  Their secret weapon is the period of contagion where their host shows no symptoms, or few symptoms.  They have developed to maximize this potential. Think of it this way- a virus that wipes out all its hosts immediately would quickly die out along with its means of spread. Something like the common cold is a perfect virus. Annoying but not deadly except in the weakest host, constantly mutating, constantly reproducing, and never killing its host.  It just continues spreading.  If this virus is similar in its ability to hide, we're in for a world of hurt.

• Like 12

17 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

GEM

I suspect Reaper will wait making any kind of final call, but I know that I am monitoring the situation pretty closely, and I am very unsure whether or not I'll make this September. We'll see. I don't think I have to make a real decision before mid-June at the earliest.

• Like 5

I'm physically preparing as though ReaperCon will happen (as far as preparing for the classes I'm teaching, etc.) while mentally/emotionally preparing myself for it to be canceled.

With things changing on a weekly basis, it's still too soon to tell how September is going to look. I'm planning to wait until June or July to buy my plane tickets, though, since that's the one part of my trip that isn't refundable. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 6

It's wait and see time here, what with Texas having announced a plan for staged re-opening of business.

We will be keeping a close eye on how this works out.

Probably won't make a final decision on go/No Go circa end of July.

GEM

• Like 7

1 hour ago, OneBoot said:

I'm physically preparing as though ReaperCon will happen (as far as preparing for the classes I'm teaching, etc.) while mentally/emotionally preparing myself for it to be canceled.

With things changing on a weekly basis, it's still too soon to tell how September is going to look. I'm planning to wait until June or July to buy my plane tickets, though, since that's the one part of my trip that isn't refundable. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Most likely if I can go, so far no new news on if I can, most likely will be using Southwest due to their change policy in regards to flights. If not this year I can always move the flight to anther time, well that & the free 2 bags is nice. I'd be giving up a non-stop, but at least the flight still puts me into Dallas around 1 or so.

• Like 6