How to Unfreeze Paintwater? (March Hobby Goals)

Seems like I forgot to post February Goals ::(:

My goals right now are:

• Dark Elf
  • Dino Guy
  • Duck Guy
  • Crystal Golem
  • Yeti
  • Friar Stone
  • Tree of despair
  • 6 armoured bears (these guys may take me a while)
  • 1 Barbarian

Also I want to de-clutter my craft area. It's kind of halfway done.

• Like 7
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/1/2020 at 6:30 AM, Rob Dean said:

My goals for last month were:

Get back to work on the French Revolution

Finish the 1/72 scale Bronze Age Libyan DBA army (a chariot and ~6 figures left)

Finish the vintage Minifigs Gondorian swordsmen I started

Paint a handful of 1/72 fantasy individuals

Since I am still basing the rest of the February 1/72s this morning, and got none of the rest of that finished, March’s goal is a repeat of February’s...  

So, here toward mid-month, I’ve finished one of the two stands for the Libyans, based up and varnished the handful of 1/72s, and painted one sample French Revolution figure:

BD59B9B0-A7B0-4D97-B978-1A7E45DBBAA3.jpeg.df323e92cdb1c439a0aebad6c46689bf.jpeg

FC7F9ECD-9899-41E8-876F-0DF7C34B2827.jpeg.8d1a88003d2a45251672c590f444d16a.jpeg

I should not take pictures of that toy soldier style that close. ::P: There’ll be a dozen in the unit, so individual flaws will wash out.  The figure is a 40mm semi-flat home casting from a Meisterzinn mold, with a bicorne head from a different Meisterzinn mold to make him a French Revolutionary Wars Garde Nationale soldier.  Now to build the other 11...at least the parts are cast.

• Like 7
On 3/1/2020 at 10:16 PM, Rigel said:

Hoping to work on some conversions...got some cheap superhero minis I want to paint up, and two of them are good for Liz Sherman and Johann Kraus.

Also going to take a Pathfinder Pickled Punk and the Reaper Brain-In-A-Jar and combine them into an alien Overmind! 

Liz and Johann are done! So was the Overmind, but while I was away vacationing gravity and the cat conspired to make the brain vanish. So I get to do some more sculpting. 

Finished up some Bloodstone Gnomes and the pack tortoise, at last, and painted more Grung! Need to take some pictures of those. Would have extra time this week, but have to figure out how to put my lab courses online.

• Like 6

Have been painting away due to some pandemic or other... I have found Joseph McCollough's project system really useful. In a nutshell you try and make sure that you have no more than 5 projects on the go and no more than 10 minis per project. 

At present:

Am half way through the Reaper Razig Skeletons. 

Need to finish the metal Frostgrave females (5 minis) 

I have a Ragnarok band on the go of about 8 primed and washed models. 

Want to finish off an orc and goblin pirate band (All Reaper) 

Have finished about 20 other minis so far this month mainly by cheating and painting squads and units rather than single models. 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Brianuk said:

Have been painting away due to some pandemic or other... I have found Joseph McCollough's project system really useful. In a nutshell you try and make sure that you have no more than 5 projects on the go and no more than 10 minis per project. 

Have finished about 20 other minis so far this month mainly by cheating and painting squads and units rather than single models. 

Is that from an article available online?  How about a link?  I always like to see other people’s thoughts on that sort of thing.  I’m usually more scattered than that.  ::P:

As far as painting squads and units, that’s not cheating; it’s just what needs to get done.

So...Congratulations on the progress!! :bday:

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 4
16 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

Is that from an article available online?  How about a link?  I always like to see other people’s thoughts on that sort of thing.  I’m usually more scattered than that.  ::P:

As far as painting squads and units, that’s not cheating; it’s just what needs to get done.

So...Congratulations on the progress!! :bday:

If it is it's most likely on Joseph McCullough's blog (The Renaissance Troll IIRC).  Not linking it as he links to the Frostgrave stuff he writes for Osprey. 

• Like 4
On 3/19/2020 at 5:11 PM, Brianuk said:

At present:

Am half way through the Reaper Razig Skeletons. 

Need to finish the metal Frostgrave females (5 minis) 

I have a Ragnarok band on the go of about 8 primed and washed models. 

Want to finish off an orc and goblin pirate band (All Reaper) 

So I've not quite achieved all the goals above but painted 60 miniatures this month. A bit of cheating as that includes a number of units and batch paints but still glad of having something to do during the lock down. 

• Like 7
On 3/1/2020 at 8:13 AM, Evilhalfling said:

I found out yesterday that Robert Morris Jr and I are both really close to finishing Bones3, 

he finished 1&2 before I did so if I want to finish first this time I need to pick up my game. 

so here is my new goal: 

10 figures from the bones 3 core set. 

Pack Turtle - for quarterly contest.  (by 20th) 

paint some cats from Cats & Catacombs KS 

Okay that is alot.  especially since the cats and turtle have deadlines.  Running a  cats game on April 5th

7 figures from Bones3 

a wizkids thrikreen 

half orc monk - Heroines in Sensible Shoes - this one was sitting out my desk for 2 years. 

and the Pack Turtle. 

the Cats& Catacombs was received but the game is postponed. 

painting is harder with the whole family here, ALL the time. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 6

Here is the shelf of pride (as opposed to the greater pile of shame). The project system (sorry for missing earlier) is on Joseph McCullough's blog Renaissance Troll. It's really helped me cut through the lead pile and buy more purposefully. 

20200331_183801.jpg

20200331_183831.jpg

20200331_183823.jpg

20200331_183805.jpg

• Like 10

March was weird. 

I painted

Bones goroloth

Modified bones chronoscope guy

3 convergence of cyris robots who were modified for this is not a test. 

3 wrath of Kings brutes 

Wrath of Kings warden

Wrath of Kings sword guy

Wrath of Kings girl with sword, shield, and mask

Relic knights girl with magic sword. 

IMG_20200401_083710~2.jpg

• Like 7

I painted 5 last month, one of which was a large mini.  Pictures soon.  This is better than my goal of 4 in March, probably because I watch youtube videos about Coronavirus (by Dr. Campbell and Peak Prosperity) while I paint. So I have spent more time painting.

• Like 6
On 3/12/2020 at 5:53 AM, Rob Dean said:

Get back to work on the French Revolution

Finish the 1/72 scale Bronze Age Libyan DBA army (a chariot and ~6 figures left)

Finish the vintage Minifigs Gondorian swordsmen I started

Paint a handful of 1/72 fantasy individuals

^^^ That was my goal for the month.  

Here at the beginning of the next month, I can look back and see that I finished one figure for the French Revolution  project, the vintage Minifigs Gondorians, an unexpected digression of a Ral Partha thief, a bonus Apocalypse Miniatures building, the handful of 1/72 fantasy individuals (from my blog), and one of the two stands needed for the Libyan army, the 1/72 Sea Peoples.  That was 26 miniatures of various sizes for the month, so I didn’t quite make the 31 I wanted to do, but I did touch every project I intended and got in a couple of bonuses, as well as getting a few new things started,  so we’ll call that a victory...

• Like 6
On 3/1/2020 at 9:37 PM, Jasper_the_2nd said:

A fresh month and some more goals to aim for:

• paint CAVs - they are my main target for this month now that the first unit of Stormtroopers are done.
  • work on Stormtroopers and Scout Troopers when I get tired of painting camo on CAVs
  • build the freaking paint rack so I can get my desk more organized
  • get the last half dozen boxes emptied or stored so the paint room floor is empty
  • get table set up for diorama work in newly empty spot from previous task
  • get some assembly/priming dome on something 3D printed 

So March was weird, as I'm sure everyone is well aware. And with all that my plans changed significantly.  But, to look at my goals:

• paint CAVs - I don't think I touched them
  • work on Stormtroopers and Scout Troopers - I didn't paint any of them either
  • build the freaking paint rack - This is half done, just need to get the rest of the pieces cut and glued together.
  • get the last half dozen boxes emptied or stored so the paint room floor is empty - almost complete
  • get table set up for diorama work in newly empty spot from previous task - table made it into the room but have stuff I had to clear off my computer desk to make room for my work set up thrown on it.
  • get some assembly/priming dome on something 3D printed - I bought sandpaper and more superglue....

So what did I do in March?

Well, with the apocalypse going on and all, I decided to get my Star Wars Legion rebels to the point where my wife and I can actually start playing small games, since playing at the lfgs is out for the foreseeable future. 

So I completed assembling my Imperial stuff (2  different Vaders, General Veersm 4 Speederbikes, Boba Fett, 7 remaining Stormtroopers, 2 Riders on Dewbacks, and an AT-ST) and assembled all the rebel stuff I have (2 units of rebel troopers, Luke, Chewie, a unit of Wookies, 2 riders on Tauntauns and an AT-RT).  Then that all got primed.

I printed a bunch of stuff, and then killed my 3D printer (something failed on the main board, stopped extruding - new board will be here next week).

And I think that's about it. The rest of my free time was spent trying to keep my wife from going nuts with the stay at home business.  She very much needs to get out and interact with people, and this has been quite hard on her.

• Like 7