Getting to Know You, March 2020 presented by MvM

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1 - Hobbying for March Definitely lamb. I've spent the last couple months shoving a bunch of zbrush information into my brain and I'd love a break right now!   2 Middle of the road

I got to hang out with @Morihalda, and she's a pretty big deal.   I've also gotten to hang out with most of the Sculptors and Painters for Reaper.    So, yes. All the famous, and m

A decade or so ago I worked a trip on a super-yacht. (Owned by a complete and utter billionaire elfhole who I will not name. I ended up punching him after he started being nasty to the Filipino housem

Posted Images

15 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 12th:

Is there a movie you hope never gets remade and/or "reimagined"?

5 hours ago, malefactus said:

I agree with redambrosia. I HATE remakes. If the Folks in Hollywood can't come up with new ideas, they shouldn't be making movies at all.

THIS!

I'm getting pretty fed up with all those remakes and "based on former movies" movies.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 12th:

Is there a movie you hope never gets remade and/or "reimagined"?

One of the nice things about movie remakes/reimaginings is that it lets the people working on it put their own spin on it, and sometimes this is a good thing.  Sometimes a movie is remade with better actors or a better budget or better special effects or so on.

(The line for "reimagining" movies is fuzzy too.  For example, one could argue The Shape of Water is just a reimagining of Creature from the Black Lagoon.)

However, Sturgeon's Revelation applies to movie remakes and reimaginings: 90% of them are crap.

What are some movie remakes/reimaginings I've liked more than the original?  Some of the Hammer Films renditions of old Universal monster films (e.g. The Mummy and Frankenstein) and The Magnificent Seven (based on The Seven Samurai).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I think the thing that annoys me the most is Disney’s current fetish for “live action” remakes. A couple of them have been good. Most of them are pointless. Just a cash grab. 

And it feels like they’re so focused on remakes that they’re forgetting to do new things. Big Hero 6 was one of their best films recently ( I actually think it was their best in the last decade), but if they just make more remakes, they can’t do awesome new things. :shrug:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 13th:

How old were you when you started to enjoy/discover music (or dislike it, if you fall into that category)? Was there a band/musician that pushed you towards your musical preference/identity?

started to enjoy/discover music when quite young as my parents enjoyed listening to various things on vinyl...

however it wasn't until my late teens that I discovered the bands that have pushed me to my musical identity - The Gathering, Lacuna Coil, Chalice (Australian band, now defunct) and Nightwish probably being the start  of it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 13th:

How old were you when you started to enjoy/discover music (or dislike it, if you fall into that category)? Was there a band/musician that pushed you towards your musical preference/identity?

We pretty much always had music. I remember when my dad bought a reel-to-reel tape player/recorder...with stereo! Stereo was amazing!*

But I didn't start to care about music other than to listen to whatever was around until I went to college. At one point, I was convinced to go to a Styx concert (geez, for the price of a concert ticket I could buy an album; what's the point?**). But at the same time I was listening to Jean Michel Jarre (Oxygene), Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Kansas, .... Hard to say which of those was the most important to my musical taste.

* Yup, uphill both ways, in the snow. ::D:

** Yes, concert tickets were very close in price to a vinyl album. And get off my lawn, you whippersnappers!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 13th:

Started to be a big thing for me in my early teens. Before that Iistened to a few records that my parents and grandparents had. Early George Strait and 80s Heart were two of my most listened to. I'm not sure I have a set musical identity. I listen to a huge range of different styles from classical to hard rock. Mostly country, 80s rock and celtic but I like to wander depending on my moods. Latest thing I've been listening to is Sara Loera doing covers of famous songs. Purty lady with a great voice.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 13th:

Music has always been a Thing for me. But it took forever for me to develop any sort of style of music. I mean, as a kid I just sort of listened to whatever my parents had. And my parents were the type who, when remodeling the house my dad built rooms for the acoustics and had speakers inset into the ceilings because he could. They had a lot of things. 

A couple of soundtracks brought me into death metal in the late 90s. From there my style expanded to... um... most things?

To this day I'm still not sure I have a 'style'. I have a 'is it music? is it at least sort of music? yes? then we good' type of view instead.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

movie remakes/reimaginings is that it lets the people working on it put their own spin on it, and ..................  this is a good thing.

...and rarely this is a good thing.

:rock:

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 13th:

I was corrupted by the Chicago oldies station 104.3 at an early age, around 1985-6. I also disliked the popular music of the 80s as a kid, and I have grown to hate it with a passion because of the endless "80s flashback" crap that's been going on since 1997 or so. There were some good things, yes but those aren't the songs my younger coworkers would torment me with...

Anyway, growing up with 1950s and early 60s music meant that to this day it is a stable bedrock of my musical taste, which later on traced through it's rockabilly side of the foundation into western swing, old school country, then bluegrass, to various forms of traditional style european music. Elvis it turns out, is the gateway to Faun and Wardruna if you follow the path long enough. I also absorbed at a young age an appreciation for music of the later 60s and 70s.

The alternative/grunge of the 90s was the only time I found my taste lining up with the current trend, and the later industrial metal from 1995 onwards became my prefered form of metal. Around 2000, when the trend moved to "whiny elf rock" I more or less stopped paying attention and have since been delving in depth into the music of previous decades. 

If I were to lay the blame on one head for my musical tastes it would be the radio host Dick Biondi, from 104.3. Apparently the concerned parents of the 50s might have had a point on the rock and roll of the time being the "Devil's music" because now that I'm pushing 40 I'm having dreams of stealing hubcaps, a popular delinquent behavior of that era! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 13th:

I grew up in the '80's watching Good Rockin' Tonite, and there was always country music and oldies on the radio. When I met my best friend as a teenager I was introduced to more contemporary music. I've grown up liking every genre of music out there, is it any wonder why I'm so screwed up wonderfully adjusted? ::P:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1